User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 5+2

I wasn't sure where to post this but I figured since it's a newbie driving type question this would do.
I am looking to buy a medium duty truck and all the ones I'm looking at are 5+2 shift types with the 2 speed axle.
It seems dumb but I am anxious about attempting to drive one of these for the first time. Especially when I'll most likely be picking it up in a big city. (I have driven a normal 5 speed, but that's all)
I did some research and found that you do 1st-low then hi, then 2 low then hi, etc.
My question here is can these be driven just like a normal 5 speed? Like just leaving it in hi? Can it start from a stop in 1-hi? It will of course be empty so I thought maybe I could get away with this method until I can get somewhere that I feel more comfortable to practice.

I would just buy an auto, but I'm looking in the under $2k price range so I'm pretty much limited to '70s Fords and Chevys.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Senior Board Member

You probably can start off running it like a simple 5 speed. You probably want to start out in first low at a stop until you get the hang of the clutch. Shifting from low to high in a gear is easy: You simply pull the button up and release the accelerator on most models. Look for specific instructions on the sunvisor. Also take a few minutes to slide the shifter through all the gears before you start. Most of those 5 speeds have the gears very close together and you can easily miss the one you are aiming for.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 12-30-2006, 12:52 PM

NO a 5+2 is driven just like a car or pickup truck. Start in 1st high, or 2nd high. The 2 speed rear is really only for if your loaded heavy. Its not a shifting thing like say a 10,13 speed etc. Empty or light load(10k) id leave it in the high range.

Depending on how quick 1st tachs out, you may be able to start in 2nd. Most that I know of you dont need to even double clutch.

BTW once your in a Hi side gear, you wont get it back into the low side unless you come to a stop. IF loaded heavy, you start in the low side, then work your way up through. 5th low is not the next gear from 4th high. Remember start in the basement end on the roof.

I just ran a GMC dump over the weekend, same tranny and I never used the low side, but I wasnt heavy either. If you do decide to use the low side to start out, make sure to switch into the high side before moving out of the gear that you are currently in, Most of those were horrible if you tried to change ranges while in N, they wouldnt go in.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Board Regular

They really aren't hard to drive. I was put in one and told where to go for my training years ago so I basically taught myself. I had very limited experience with a manual shift vehicle to begin with.

You can probably get away with running in the high side if you're empty and to get out of the city.

It will depend on the load and the terrain (ie hills) as far as shifting it. I was usually able to start out in 2Low if empty or loaded light (then 2high if needed). Then go to 3Low then 3high then 4Low, then 5Low and often right to 5high IF the ground is level and you're moving right along. If you shift to 5high and it it lags just go to 4th high and bring it back to 5 high when the rpms are up.

My experience driving was with Chevy C-65s and C-70s or INTS. hauling feed and fertilizer for a farm coop so alot of my driving was done on rural roads, gravel roads and in farm fields. This area is very hilly as well.

There is a guide on the visor over your head but it tells you to shift every gear low to high, I've never known anyone to do that, quite often the rpms are high enough to skip shifts. You can skip shifts just let the truck let you know when to shift. If you try going from a high range down to a low range and you're going too fast it will at times hangup the 2 speed and you'll wind up hearing it whining followed by a clunk. Trust me it doesn't sound good.

They're not hard to drive at all just takes some getting used to.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I drove Ford F700's tractor-trailer units with beverage trailers that were equipped with 5 + 2 transmissions and they shifted just fine as 5 speeds even when loaded on level ground most of the time. Though I found that splitting the gears when climbing hills or descending grades was often necessary.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Board Regular

A co-worker of mine drives a 5-speed dumptruck. (It's a 2 speed axle as well) What he'd do was shift from 1st-low to 2nd-low to 3rd-low to 4th-low to 5th-low, and then he would shift into 5th-high. Not sure if that'd be the best way or not, but that's how he did it.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys. I thought that it'd work but wasn't sure. I might have to use a couple lows or something since these are all gas engines they won't have squat for power. I can't remember which models they were but I've narrowed it to two Fords, one is air brakes and one is hydraulic and since I don't have a CDL I guess that really narrows it to the hydraulic one ;)
Old 12-30-2006, 08:23 PM

Check you state laws as far as air brakes go. In most states the only thing that determines whether or not it is a CDL vehicle, is gross vehicle weight. The brake system makes no difference. If this is the case in your state, I would go with a truck under 26,000 lb. GVW and air brakes.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
A co-worker of mine drives a 5-speed dumptruck. (It's a 2 speed axle as well) What he'd do was shift from 1st-low to 2nd-low to 3rd-low to 4th-low to 5th-low, and then he would shift into 5th-high. Not sure if that'd be the best way or not, but that's how he did it.
Often times 4th and 5th in the transmission are so close together that if you shifted from 4th high to 5th low, you would basically be in the same gear you were in before. So they just skip it by either shifting 4th low, 5th low, 5th high, or else you can go 4th low, 4th high, 5th high.

Birken
Old 01-06-2007, 04:41 AM
Rookie

Finally contacted the seller of the one with air brakes and although it's only a single axle it's GVW is 27,500 so I'm not sure what that means. Because after looking at the statutes here (Kentucky) they say class B trucks are defined by having "a gvw of 26,001 or more AND 2 or more drive axles". So what if it's over 26k but only single axle? I tried calling my county clerk's office and the first person I talked to didn't know what a CDL even was! And the second couldn't answer my question either.
I'll have to see what else I can dig up. Oh, and it's a 1978 Ford LN800.