User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Our family thought we were nuts when we decided to go over the road. For many months they would ask us when were we giving it up and returning to local jobs that didn't involve a truck. Now several years have gone by and they no longer ask that for they have seen us become debt free with plenty of cash in the bank. We even see the shade of green from envy come over them now and then when we talk about the freedom of being debt free.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

goodluck
Old 01-04-2007, 04:49 AM
Rookie

I've signed up for my WIA orientation to see if the state will pay fo r my CDL training. It sucks that monday was supposed to be my first day of CDL training, but a family member actually hid my birth certificate on Sunday night, so that I wouldn't be able to have proper paper work ops: ops: :roll: :roll:
Old 01-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Board Regular

mmiikkee.....I was 43 when I decided to drive truck. I had wanted to for a long time but I was a single Mom raising 4 kids on my own. When I started I found I had all the support of my family, relatives and friends. I'm so glad I did it. Now 6 years later I'm still driving and I love the job very much. Seeing places I probably wouldn't see otherwise and people too. Do what you want, why do a job you're not happy with. Down the road you might regret not trying it. BOL Drive safe
Old 01-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes, the mom loves you don't drive syndrome. I grew up on and around trucks all my life. All my friends that are still alive drive their logging trucks everyday up and down them mountains. my mom and well my family and my wife and everyone I know did not want me to drive a truck, all think its too dangerous, I think it is all how you see yourself. My wife will divorce me if I get into a logging truck, my mom would kill me if I didn't drive off the mountain and die, so no logging trucks allowed, so I said OTR keep me gone all the time and this took time for family to adjust, it all worked out, everyone I know is proud of me for doing a great job, it will all work out for ya. Good Luck and pursue your dreams, I still dream about logging trucks, I see them everyday I am on hometime. Just can't get up into one, so I just look at them now (one day i will be a log truck driver hehehehehe)
Old 01-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Board Regular

I had the same problem, whole family told me not too, even though my gramps drove an my pops drives. I didnt care, went with what made me happy an im lovin it.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: No one is happy about me being a truck driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiikkee
Have you guys experienced this? I don't have a wife or kids, but I have parents and siblings...

I'm going to do what I want, but it is awful to have the people that you love not support you. I understand their concerns (safety), but one cannot live life running from their shadow.
Not a difficult answer here at all!!!!

Just tell you parents and siblings to chip in and support you every month, then they can tell you what you are or are not permitted to do for a living!!!

Otherwise, they can just STHU!!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Rookie
Default career change?

I'm considering a career change from being a copy editor and magazine editor after being laid off. When I mentioned trucking to my wife, she said she would support me if that's what I wanted to do. That surprised me, because we are both "professionals." She's a schoolteacher and I've been in journalism/publishing for 30-plus years. Waiting to hear about a possible magazine editor's position with a newspaper, but if I don't get it, will continue to pursue trucking. Maverick says they'll call me in two to three months for school, but I may go to community college closer to home, if Maverick allows it.

This could be a big lifestyle change -- not easy, but better for us in the long run. I can always drive part time when I retire. Don't think I can manage magazines part time and make the same amount of money.

The more I read about trucking, professionalism is a must to succeed and do well.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Rookie

Who cares I had the same problem with my family, most people look at dollar signs or there blinded by social status. Which one I haven't figured out yet. I come from a union family growing up in New York.. So I got in right out of highschool and all I saw was dollar signs $30 $40 $45 an hr woohoo this is great making money. A couple years later I looked at myself and said this sucks. I'm out here freezing in the winter, sweating in the summer and I don't even like it! I realized I was never happy with myself doing this, my life was based on going through the motions. Needless to say the only time i'll ever touch another peice of steel or an arc is if it's on my truck. Money isn't everything, bottom line is if it makes you happy do it before it's too late. I've read alot of stories on here like mine.. Just don't tell them off explain your reasons for your decisions if they're valid then they will def. understand.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiikkee
I've signed up for my WIA orientation to see if the state will pay fo r my CDL training. It sucks that monday was supposed to be my first day of CDL training, but a family member actually hid my birth certificate on Sunday night, so that I wouldn't be able to have proper paper work ops: ops: :roll: :roll:
Thats wrong in soooooo many ways. Kin or not... I'd have someones ass over that!!