User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 03:23 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pros and Cons to being a truck driver?

Hi all,

First I have to say that this is a very informative forum you have here. Just by browsing the forum, I gained allot of information.

Anyways I'm currently looking for a career, after 4 years of being a automotive mechanic I'm just tired of it. So I'm keeping my tools for a hobby, and starting to look into other fields. At first I was dedicated into joining the National Guard, spent 1 year losing damn near 100lbs, went to MEPS 3 times, and was permanently disqualified because of my eyes. Tried to do lasik and they basically told me that in the future I'm going to be blind if I dont get my lens replaced.

So I'm down to 3 careers ATM, which is HVAC, computers, and CDL. Now my reason in wanting to get a CDL is because my Uncle is making a very good living working for the USPS. I mean this guy haves like 8 different kids with 3 different women, this guy haves to make allot of money to pay that child support. And my next door neighbor is living the American dream with his CDL.

And now that I'm starting to look into getting a CDL, I'm finding all these companies willing to pay me to get it ( our at least that's what their sign says)! I mean hell why not, right?

So why not become a truck driver? Every school I've talked too says there's no reason not to become a truck driver. That's a load of bull.

So what is the pros and cons into being a truck driver?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:27 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Pros and Cons to being a truck driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnomoney
Hi all,

First I have to say that this is a very informative forum you have here. Just by browsing the forum, I gained allot of information.

Anyways I'm currently looking for a career, after 4 years of being a automotive mechanic I'm just tired of it. So I'm keeping my tools for a hobby, and starting to look into other fields. At first I was dedicated into joining the National Guard, spent 1 year losing damn near 100lbs, went to MEPS 3 times, and was permanently disqualified because of my eyes. Tried to do lasik and they basically told me that in the future I'm going to be blind if I dont get my lens replaced.

So I'm down to 3 careers ATM, which is HVAC, computers, and CDL. Now my reason in wanting to get a CDL is because my Uncle is making a very good living working for the USPS. I mean this guy haves like 8 different kids with 3 different women, this guy haves to make allot of money to pay that child support. And my next door neighbor is living the American dream with his CDL.

And now that I'm starting to look into getting a CDL, I'm finding all these companies willing to pay me to get it ( our at least that's what their sign says)! I mean hell why not, right?

So why not become a truck driver? Every school I've talked too says there's no reason not to become a truck driver. That's a load of bull.

So what is the pros and cons into being a truck driver?
The Military has turn you down because of your eyes. The DOT physical my do the same. Do you have 40/20 vision, correct or not, in both eyes?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:31 AM
Rookie

My eyes are correctable to 20/25 (which is 1 line above the smallest) wearing contacts.

The military turned me downed because my eyes wasnt correctable using anything less then -8.something diopters.

Yes, I'm a blind MOFO.....
Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 AM
Board Regular

Well here goes my 2 cents. I have been doing this for a year so far. The parts I like about it are...

1. no boss hanging over my head all day. i know how i work and i work my ass off and i don't like to be micromanaged

2. money has been decent so far. i have had some bad weeks, but i have mostly been trending towards 45k first year out. from my understanding is not bad

3. i have seen some cool things out here i probably would have never seen back home

the bad

1. waiting. i hate waiting for loads sometimes. now if i just ran my butt off and did 1500 miles in 2 1/2 days, then yeah chilling out a few hours are cool. but if i just came out of the house and freight is slow i hate waiting.

2.truckstops are kinda gross depending on where you go. i walked in a truckstop not to long ago and almost stepped in crap on the mens room floor OUTSIDE THE STALL. why why why. grown men

those are just a few, i have many more, but I'm sure this post will receive numerous posts so i will let the more experienced reply.

Good Luck on your new venture if you decide. I like the decision I made but for some reason I still have in the back of my mind I should of gone with computers.

I have a similar story I was a Jiffy Lube manager for ten years. I climbed the corporate ladder twice to a DM and stepped back down cause of corporate BS. Got fed up and hear I am.

My brother is an owner operator and my dad drove for 25 years. They both said I should do something else, but if thats what I wanted to do they would support me of course.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:11 AM
Board Regular

CONS
-Way too many rules and restrictions, you may have to work 70+ hrs a week as an OTR driver to make the same as someone working 40 or 50 hrs a week

-A very high stress job, you have a lot of responsibility, you have to deal with dispatchers who want miracles from you, customers who treat you like a second class citizen, traffic, delays, breakdowns, getting lost, going places you are not familiar, etc

-Can be a lot of waiting time that you are not paid for

-Lack of sleep and lack of exercise, both can lead to health problems not to mention weight gain

-Can be dangerous, there is always a risk of having an accident

-Time away from home as an OTR driver, OTR driving can be hard on relationships

PROS
-You can make a decent living although you will never get rich doing it

-Perfect job for people who like to work alone

-Options of driving locally will give you a more normal home life, it does not have to be all OTR driving

-Can be enjoyable
Old 12-30-2006, 05:15 AM
Board Regular

Pros:

You get to see a lot of nice scenery......but really once you seen one off ramp you've seen em all, it's not like they dress em up you know. And lets not forget those warehouses and DC.......man I love to see the back side of god forsaken buildings.

You do get to manage your own time some what.

Ain't nobody looking over your shoulder everyday.

If you're hauling refer for Swift, you might get some good boxes of meat at really low prices every now and then.........but then you have to ship them home, which cost you money.

You get to drive a really big shiny vehicle with lots of switches, gages and things I haven't figured out yet............hey, it has a really loud air horn too.............that's cool.

But the best is......you get to leave the old lady at home for long periods of time........(boy I hope she don't read this).

Cons:

The scenery gets old really fast.

You never have enough time.....according to the driver managers.

It does get lonely at times and you'd like someone looking over your shoulder. When the CB gets to be your best friend......it's time to go home for a spell.

And every once in awhile you have to go home...................boy I really, really hope she isn't reading this..........).

If Swift gives you some meat at a low price............you screwed up somewhere at one of your drops and you'll hear about it. Besides, what the hell are you going to do with 80lbs of kosher hot dogs?

At some point and time you got to learn what all those switches, gages and what nots are for............what's this one do...........oops, that didn't sound good.

Oh yeah.....one other thing the hourly pay really sucks.

After much thinking and some serious contemplation about it.............I think I'd rather hit the Power Ball this weekend.

Hope you all are having a good week..........be safe, be smart and don't drink to much Sunday night.............oh what the hell.......lets all meet in Lima, CO for the weekend and party likes there's not tomorrow............

HAPPY NEW YEAR
folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
After much thinking and some serious contemplation about it.............I think I'd rather hit the Power Ball this weekend.

It seems more truck drivers win lotteries than anyone else. Just a couple weeks ago here in Fl a local driver won about 30 million.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripplecreek
Quote:

It seems more truck drivers win lotteries than anyone else. Just a couple weeks ago here in Fl a local driver won about 30 million.
I wonder if he's still driving..............or, if like I would do, setting sail in a 52' Hunter for St. Thomas.

Yep... I can just hear that phone call now............"Hello, Ms. Lucy, I've parked the truck here at my last drop. Keys are under the mattress in the upper bunk..........just let the next driver have all my gear.........I hear the beaches in St. Thomas calling my name....it's been fun. Bye Bye."