User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I learned from a Driver who was an RPM shifter, (no clutch) so that is how I first learned. Man I was brutal on the gears. That is no way to learn.
But he just didn't know how to double clutch, and couldn't teach me that way. He drove 2 million miles too...so...don't think he was just some yahoo.

Use the clutch. Learn to double clutch.
If a day comes when you must absolutely grab a gear to save your life...you best know how to use that clutch. Know your "go to gears" too.
Waaa? you ask?
There are certain gears that "give" easier than others. Every tranny is different.

Think of double clutching as two shifts.
First clutch you take yourself out of gear.
Second clutch you select the next gear. Two shifts.
You don't need to fully depress the clutch pedal either...like in your car.
You just tap the clutch pedal...(it's a feel thing) usually about 1/3rd of the way. For me...I'm so close to the right RPM...it's just a little nudge on the clutch...at the right moment. If you miss it...so what...bring your RPM where you need it and ....clutch...in you go. Just don't loose it and start manhandling the gears.

I always get razed for discribing it this way...but it's like you are making love. You gotta get intune with your tranny, and tickle them gears alittle ...you will feel where the hole is...and then gently slip it in.
Is it getting hot in here?
Old 12-27-2006, 12:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well I learned to double-clutch in school and I disagree that you learn bad habits. Double-clutching is double clutching, grinding gears is a bad habit, IMHO.

But a little trick to double clutching is to think of the rythym of the "Addams Family" theme song (when they snap the fingers) and you can get the same rythym on a shift.

Not mashing the clutch helps as well, you need to maybe go in an inch or two. I've seen alot of people not get their shift because they are mashing the clutch to the floor and engaging the clutch brake.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Board Icon

:lol: Or like in the shower scene of "Bate's Motel".....stab/stab!

But you still need to be aware of your RPM's. This comes natural to a seasoned Driver. In the beginning...you are really going to fuss over your RPM gauge. Eventually, you will sense these things, and it becomes routine...and you develop your own rythym and style.

The clutch brake is a good point. You can only use this when the Tractor is still. It is to slow the transmission down, so you can put it into gear. If you engage the clutch brake while moving...you will ruin it to the point it will no longer work.
What I do...(because I drive a lot of Company Tractors that have the clutch brake worn out) .....I shift into 4th gear first...that drops the gear speed down, then quickly slip it into the lower gear of my choice. Or you just have to not be in such an all-fired hurry...and wait another 30 seconds for the gears to slow down...and drop'er into the hole.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Rookie

Can't wait until I go to school and get to do this
Old 12-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Single Clutch Shift a truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiikkee
Can you single shift in a semi-truck? I hear a lot about double clutching and floating gears.

I've been practicing double clutching in my honda ops: just to play around with double clutching. I've tried floating gears without much success...
You can't float the gears in a syncronized transmission, you HAVE to use the clutch.

Though it's possible to float a syncronized transmission if it's pretty well worn after a few hundred thousand miles.

Almost all heavy duty truck transmissions sold in the US are non-syncronized boxes. Those you either have to double clutch or float the gears in.

Volvo sold their syncronized 14 speed gearbox for a short period combined with their D12 engine but it wasn't popular since US drivers are so used to floating gears.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Senior Board Member

I remember when I was in school we floated gears, maybe because the Freightliner had over 1 million miles on it?

I've been accused of being a "floater"....of gears that is. It could just come from school or years riding motorcycles and shifting without the clutch?

Who knows?

But I should clarify something. You dont pick up bad habits in school, bad habits would be those that endanger others or knowingly break the law. Its just different habits, thats all.