User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ah, that pain in the butt 14 hour rule

If you get a chance, check out the December 2006 "Through the Gears" magazine, volume 12, issue 12, article entitled "Drivers' Dilemma: how much time in the berth" starting on pages 54 through 62 at the truck stop. Save that issue for future reference. It has a good example of logging.
The 11 hour rule for driving can only be reset by 10 or more hours off.
You can drive 11 hours, be off duty or sleeper berth for at least 10 hours and drive for another 11 hours. A break of 10 hours or more resets BOTH the 11 hour driving clock and the 14 hour clock.
As soon as you go on duty or driving, the 14 hour clock starts. If you start driving, you have to stop at the 11th hour OR the 14th hour WHICH EVER COMES FIRST. A break of 8 hours or more BUT less than 10 hours ONLY resets the 14 hour clock BUT NOT the 11 hour driving clock.
Example: your day starts with driving 6 hours, playing video games at the truck stop for 6 hours and that leaves only 2 more hours available for driving. [ 14 hour rule minus 6 hours driving minus 6 hours playing video games equals 2 hours available for driving]. A dumb example but you get the idea.
Your 70 hours in an 8 day period can only be reset by 34 hours off duty.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Ah, that pain in the butt 14 hour rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcis2
A break of 8 hours or more BUT less than 10 hours ONLY resets the 14 hour clock BUT NOT the 11 hour driving clock.
:shock:
Old 12-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Senior Board Member

i swear he's my dispatcher in disguise :roll: :P

care to edit, clarify, change, or explain that xcis2?
Old 12-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Where is Rawlco or Golfhobo when you need them?
I've dialed 411...and that didn't help.
I tried 911...and was told to not call them again. :?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
If you get a chance, check out the December 2006 "Through the Gears" magazine, volume 12, issue 12, article entitled "Drivers' Dilemma: how much time in the berth" starting on pages 54 through 62 at the truck stop. Save that issue for future reference. It has a good example of logging.
The 11 hour rule for driving can only be reset by 10 or more hours off.
You can drive 11 hours, be off duty or sleeper berth for at least 10 hours and drive for another 11 hours. A break of 10 hours or more resets BOTH the 11 hour driving clock and the 14 hour clock.
As soon as you go on duty or driving, the 14 hour clock starts. If you start driving, you have to stop at the 11th hour OR the 14th hour WHICH EVER COMES FIRST. A break of 8 hours or more BUT less than 10 hours ONLY resets the 14 hour clock BUT NOT the 11 hour driving clock.
Example: your day starts with driving 6 hours, playing video games at the truck stop for 6 hours and that leaves only 2 more hours available for driving. [ 14 hour rule minus 6 hours driving minus 6 hours playing video games equals 2 hours available for driving]. A dumb example but you get the idea.
Your 70 hours in an 8 day period can only be reset by 34 hours off duty.

I read that article, it made my brain hurt! :cry: I then said a prayer thanking the good lord that Crete doesn't want us using that STUPID modified sleeper berth provision. :lol:

I don't know if you noticed, but in the examples, they NEVER do a pre trip inspection at all and when the guy goes inside to eat they log it down on line four! :shock:
Old 12-30-2006, 05:06 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by -FlyByNight-
I read that article, it made my brain hurt! :cry: I then said a prayer thanking the good lord that Crete doesn't want us using that STUPID modified sleeper berth provision. :lol:

I don't know if you noticed, but in the examples, they NEVER do a pre trip inspection at all and when the guy goes inside to eat they log it down on line four! :shock:
Now see you just opened another can of worms... Do you log the Pre or Post trip... FMCSR says that you will log the Post trip, and Texas DOT are pretty anal about this and ready to hand out tickets for not logging correctly.

Truck 81221

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableman
Now see you just opened another can of worms... Do you log the Pre or Post trip... FMCSR says that you will log the Post trip, and Texas DOT are pretty anal about this and ready to hand out tickets for not logging correctly.
FMCSR says you log ANY inspection time as ON DUTY (not driving). This includes Pre-trip, post trip, inspections, waiting for a roadside repair, fueling, etc.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog
Where is Rawlco or Golfhobo when you need them?
I've dialed 411...and that didn't help.
I tried 911...and was told to not call them again. :?
I was in Phoenix.... no wait! I mean Yuma. Well, actually, NC to PHX to Yuma and back in 3 ½ days! And I only needed two logbooks! :lol:

Xcis2 has it almost right.... but it sounded a little confusing. An 8 hour S/B break doesn't really "reset" the 14 hour clock. It just EXTENDS it.

And the total driving time before and after said break cannot exceed 11 hours.

Quote:
If you start driving, you have to stop at the 11th hour OR the 14th hour WHICH EVER COMES FIRST.
Sounds like a Mickey Mouse watch to me! :lol:

But, seriously... If you haven't taken an 8 hour S/B break, you MUST stop DRIVING after the 14 hour EVEN if you haven't driven a full 11 hours yet (too many video games.)

FMCSR examples NEVER show times for pretrips or loading, etc. They are concerned ONLY with showing you how you can log your 11 hours of driving without violating the 14 hour rule.

Once you come on duty, ALL line 1 hours (that are NOT 10 hours consecutive), all line 2 hours (that are NOT 8 hours consecutive), ALL line 3 hours, and all line 4 hours, are ON the 14 hour clock. However,

If you are on line 4 at the 14th hour (without one of the breaks mentioned above being taken)... you can keep working, but must take a full 10 hour consecutive break before driving again.

If you are on line 1 or 2 at that time, you better be getting the required time, or your 14 hour clock will have expired and you can't drive until you do.

If you are on line 3 at the 14th hour (without having taken an 8 hour S/B break to "extend" it, you are BUSTED!

Roadhog.... did you try 511??? That's TRAFFIC info, and they know where I am at all times! :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:41 AM
Rookie
Default If you can not figure out how to do split berth logging....

Just tell your dispatcher "Hey, I'm just a dumb truck driver. I don't do no [expletive deleted] split berth [expletive deleted]. Give me enough time to get there logging normal or I will work for Crete or somebody else.
If that doesn't work get "Hooked on Phonics". :?
Come on, you guys can figure out how to use a computer and can't figure out logging. LOL :roll: Would you like to take a pay cut and drive local? :idea: On second thought, just forget the whole thing. ROFL. Have a nice New Year everyone.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Default Re: If you can not figure out how to do split berth logging.

Quote:
Just tell your dispatcher "Hey, I'm just a dumb truck driver. I don't do no [expletive deleted] split berth [expletive deleted]. Give me enough time to get there logging normal or I will work for Crete or somebody else.
If that doesn't work get "Hooked on Phonics". :?
Come on, you guys can figure out how to use a computer and can't figure out logging. LOL :roll: Would you like to take a pay cut and drive local? :idea: On second thought, just forget the whole thing. ROFL. Have a nice New Year everyone.
Hey Xcis2! Us fuel haulers would tend to dispute your "take a pay cut and drive local" advice. :lol: Nice New Year to ya. :idea: