User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
How many weeks did it take you to drive 5443 miles? I'm guessing at least two. $1400 net is pretty poor. I make more than that as a company driver and don't have any where near the headaches you do.
Me Too, I'm curious, will you own that truck in the end? Is it lease purchase, or is it just a strait lease, loose it in 5 years?
Old 12-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
How many weeks did it take you to drive 5443 miles? I'm guessing at least two. $1400 net is pretty poor. I make more than that as a company driver and don't have any where near the headaches you do.
That was for one week. I have a second seat usually.
And what headaches? All I do is run, sleep, run, sleep, repeat.

This is a 2 year lease. I do not own it.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:11 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerian
This is a 2 year lease. I do not own it.
Then why go through the hassle for what is essentially a company driving job with extra headaches and paperwork?
Old 12-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nendail
Quote:
Me Too, I'm curious, will you own that truck in the end? Is it lease purchase, or is it just a strait lease, loose it in 5 years?
And your points are?..........So Karnajj makes more than $1400 in a two week period as a company driver......I'm sure a number of drivers on here could say the same thing.........hell, I netted more than $1,400 per week as a Senior Project Manager in the studio when I was working for a large A&E firm..........big deal. And when the company you're driving for hits a down turn and you're let go, what then.....? You're a company driver, nothing more than a profit center for some company, in other words you're are little more than a renewable resource, easily replaced at the company's will...........so how does that make your situation any better than Spencerian's?

So he's leasing his truck and at the end of it some else still own's it....what's the big deal? He still made an income and according to him, he's happy with it......so what's the big deal?

Spencerian made his decisions that worked for him........ he's happy with his income, so good for him. Yeah, I know, CRE is the devil incarnate, they make money on the backs of their drivers............NEWS FLASH.........every frigging trucking company out there is making money off the efforts of every driver............period. Any time there is a business agreement and money passes hands, someone is always making money along the way..........O/O's they make their money, the Broker makes his money, the DC makes their money......everybody makes money.

The point is Spencerian is happy with his situation........and that folks is all that matters for right now..........maybe next month or next year things will be different........who knows. The main thing is that he's happy right now doing what he's doing, where he's doing it and for the income he's getting.............how much more do you need?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespalette
So he's leasing his truck and at the end of it some else still own's it....what's the big deal? He still made an income and according to him, he's happy with it......so what's the big deal?
Let me ask you this: would you buy a stock and accept the inherent greater risk when you could make a better return holding a municipal bond with virtually no risk? Most rational people would say no because the whole reason for buying the stock and accepting more risk is to make greater returns than a fixed-income security.

If you really want to be a true owner-operator then save up and buy your own truck, since a lease-op is nothing more than a glorified company driver. Besides, most of the big-fleet lease-purchase plans are ripoffs anyway.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
If you really want to be a true owner-operator then save up and buy your own truck, since a lease-op is nothing more than a glorified company driver. Besides, most of the big-fleet lease-purchase plans are ripoffs anyway.
Look, I been thinking about doing Darts Fleece purchase plan.. Save your comments I've read them all.. My point - Why is everyone screaming about how "bad it is" will I make more money then a company driver if I do it? Probably not.. Maybe even a little less. but at the end I'd own the truck. YEAH YEAH I know, if they allow me to keep getting enough miles to pay it off... I haven't decided to do it. This bored is a primary reason I haven't decided to do it yet. hearing everyone saying how bad it is and how all the company's screw you.

Here is my question.... Wich company's "SCREW YOU"? WHich ones don't let you get the miles and force the turn ins? And where are you getting this information.

I have talked to a lot of drives from Dart in doing research.. by alot I mean damn near a hundred of them. I have talked to friends of friends who are with dart, and I've even talked to those who have turned trucks in for Dart.

Every driver I talk to that is willing to run, seems to be making money and sending money home to the family. Every driver I have talked to that has turned a truck in has claimed they did it for two weeks to 4 months and turned the truck back in because they were not making money. The guys that ran two weeks I laugh at.. if you ask Dart point blank they will tell you it takes two to three weeks to get out of the red because of all the crap that is needed up front to get going.. (whats needed really depends on what the driver wants)

However when I start talking to the guys that turn them in after a couple months I find out the same thing almost every time. "I bought a truck so I could be home more, and then I couldn't make the payments" Well news flash, the truck isn't going to make money if it's sitting in the driveway, why do you think company's want 10k miles a month on their darn trucks?

So, if a guys "willing to run" can manage numbers, and the numbers all point to making money. Which company's are out here that are simply "not letting you have miles so you fail"??

The only story's I'm hearing about where a company purposly makes you lose the truck are on this site. I'd like to know where the sources are.

I know it's better to have a down payment and do your own, I know it's better to pay cash for a truck, however some times thats not an option for people.

You guys often say if you can't save up a down payment then you probably can't run a truck.. well.. If you can't save up enough of a down payment then you probably can't afford to pay for a house, but you know what... people buy houses every damn day with no money down..... What gives?
Old 12-27-2006, 05:14 AM
Board Regular

Nendail, you're going to hear a lot of crap on just about every company from one source or another........it just depends on who you talk to and who you want to listen to. Like my old mentor once told me........."there ain't no best company, just the one you work for.......it's up to you to make it work."

Every person who has had a bad experience with this company or that company is going to tell you they're the worst company to work for and you're only going to get their side of the story. It's all ways the company's fault...............

Quote:
Here is my question.... Wich company's "SCREW YOU"? WHich ones don't let you get the miles and force the turn ins? And where are you getting this information.
They'll all screw you if you let them. And why do you think that a company would withhold miles from you if; (1) they have the freight to move, and (2) you're willing to move it? Why would a company force you to turn in your truck...........that cost them money. Turn over for any company is a costly process..........they make money if you're in the seat moving freight.

To lease or not to lease is a question that only you can answer. On this board you're going to be inundated with comments that leasing is a bad way to go..........for some it is. For some it's not...........I know drivers who have lost their shirts in a lease program........and I've known drivers who have made a very good living on lease programs. My brother just signed his second lease with CRE, has averaged better than $900 net per week his first year and for the most part is happy with them. Just last week I met a friend of his who has 3.5 million miles with CRE........all on lease programs, he's put 3 of his kids through college, has a nice little gentleman ranch in CO and has no complaints other than the usual things that you experience with every company. I also have known a few who tried the lease with CRE and didn't make it. So what does that prove? Nothing.............

The driver is the factor that determines success in any company.

Instead of the question you asked.......I would think I would be more concerned with which company has the most freight or which company is in a better position to take advantage of the changing market periods........Opportunities abound out there........it's up to you to make the most of them.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:16 AM
Rookie

[quote="Nendail"]
Quote:
If you can't save up enough of a down payment then you probably can't afford to pay for a house, but you know what... people buy houses every damn day with no money down..... What gives?
And most foreclosures come from poor people that bought homes with no down payment, because they get crappy loans. have to carry a 2nd mortgage, and or end up with a balloon payment that they can't finance their way out of.

Congrats on making it work...
Old 12-27-2006, 05:29 AM

[quote="mmiikkee"]
Quote:
Quote:
If you can't save up enough of a down payment then you probably can't afford to pay for a house, but you know what... people buy houses every damn day with no money down..... What gives?
And most foreclosures come from poor people that bought homes with no down payment, because they get crappy loans. have to carry a 2nd mortgage, and or end up with a balloon payment that they can't finance their way out of.

Where you getting your statistics for "most"???
Old 12-27-2006, 05:38 AM
Senior Board Member

[quote="mmiikkee"]
Quote:
Quote:

before this thread gets too far off track, here is my comment:

That's B.S.......I am on my 3rd home and ALL were bought with zero down and zero closing cost. Never had a foreclosure or even came close to it.

Foreclosures usually come from financial troubles....be it, lost income or poor money management, but I seriously doubt that MOST (as you state) come from people that put no money down.