User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CB Info

It appears I'll need to buy a CB. Haven't used one in 30 years or so. Any recommendations? I don't need the cadillac but would like a decent one.

Found the Uniden PC78Elite for $109.00 here which is the one I have my eye on but am open to suggestions. http://www.buyreliant.com/cb/pc78elite.htm

Also, what about antennas? Glass mount, magnetic, etc?

All input is appreciated.

Also, when looking for CB's I notice 10 Meter radios mentioned a lot. Aren't those amateur radios needing a special license to operate?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Board Regular

That's a decent CB. You can also often get a Cobra 29 or 25 on sale at a truck stop. You'll want a mirror mounted antenna - hard to find except at a truck stop. Many company trucks already have the antenna so you might not need one. In any case you'll want the antenna tuned by someone who knows what they are doing - some truckstops have a radio tech that can help you out. If the antenna isn't tuned no CB is going to work well. You'll eventually want to get a noise-cancelling mike if you end up talking a lot but most of us just listen. Go slow and don't spend the money until you are in a truck and know what you need (and don't need). Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2006, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadranger
That's a decent CB. You can also often get a Cobra 29 or 25 on sale at a truck stop. You'll want a mirror mounted antenna - hard to find except at a truck stop. Many company trucks already have the antenna so you might not need one. In any case you'll want the antenna tuned by someone who knows what they are doing - some truckstops have a radio tech that can help you out. If the antenna isn't tuned no CB is going to work well. You'll eventually want to get a noise-cancelling mike if you end up talking a lot but most of us just listen. Go slow and don't spend the money until you are in a truck and know what you need (and don't need). Good Luck!
I felt like I was ready my own mind when I read this- good advice.

Check it out: REAL INFO ABOUT WEIGH STATIONS
Old 12-18-2006, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Radidio Info

"I notice 10 Meter radios mentioned a lot. Aren't those amateur radios needing a special license to operate?" Yup, it's called a ham license. As for a cb, you may want to get one that also has the weather band on it, unless you know for sure the tractor you'll have has the weather band as a third band on the tractor radio beside AM and FM. BOL
Old 12-18-2006, 02:19 AM
Senior Board Member

I run a Uniden 78 and have found it to be a very good radio.

As far as the suuggestions about the Cobra radios, stay away from the ones with the Soundtracker Feature. I had one (well 3 actually if you count the times I returned the 1st one I bought) and I could not recieve more than 1/4 of a mile regardless of how I set the controls. Finally got fed up and tossed it in the trash and bought the Uniden and my range went to several miles.

Anyway as far as antennas go, if you are driving a truck like a Volvo, some of the Century Class Freightliners, and a few others that are all fiberglass and the mirror supports are plastic coated go with a Wilson No ground antenna if you need to buy one. http://www.wilsonantenna.com/ngk.htm

If you have metal mirror mounts then I suggest a Wilson 2000.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:37 AM

Well I'll just tell you my setup I have. I have a General Lee peaked and tuned. Astatic mic 18 feet copper looking coaxial and 2 Wilson 2000 ant's.
Not the biggest or baddest but I can get over a lot of the BS at the truck stops.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:24 AM
Rookie

Take it from someone who has spent way too much on radios. Get a Magnum, spend $200 on a Magnum S-3 and be done with it.

You dont need a real fancy antenna, a Francis Hot rod 5 1/2 foot will do you fine, they don't need to have the SWR's set either.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:44 AM

Thanks everyone. As usual, great info. Will need to see what happens once I get to training and eventually my own truck but have all this advice saved.