User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TRIP PLANNING QUESTION????

Though I have not hit the road yet (3 1/2 weeks away), I feel pretty confident and comfortable about trip planning, but I'm not 100% sure about everything. I know how to calculate how many miles towards my destination and how many hours it should take depending on my speed.
Also, I'm sure to make note of truck and rest stops along the way.
My biggest problem is how to plan for traffic jams/delays and I'm unsure how to plan a complete trip with that as a major factor.

WELCOMING ALL THOUGHTS AND SUGGESTIONS!!!!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: TRIP PLANNING QUESTION????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL BEAST
Though I have not hit the road yet (3 1/2 weeks away), I feel pretty confident and comfortable about trip planning, but I'm not 100% sure about everything. I know how to calculate how many miles towards my destination
The MCA has distances from major cities to other cities in it, also, all roads are marked with distance intervals from point to point. Black #'s indicate intersection to intersection or town to town. Red #'s indicate distances from red triangle to red triangle. Just add up the miles.

Quote:
and how many hours it should take depending on my speed.
Use an average speed of 50 mph....divide the total miles by 50 and that will give you a nominal number of hours for the trip.

Quote:
Also, I'm sure to make note of truck and rest stops along the way.
Stop in any truck stop and pick up a copy of the Truck Stop guide.... it contains all the information you need such as size of parking, and all other services available there.

Quote:
My biggest problem is how to plan for traffic jams/delays and I'm unsure how to plan a complete trip with that as a major factor.
Planning for traffic jams...tricky, unless you make it a point to avoid major metro areas at rush hour times. Accidents....there is only one way to compensate for them....reroute or just grin and bear it. Just make sure you have some food and water on the truck. Here's a hint....carry bottled water. Drink bottled water. Stay off the sodas. Avoid fattening foods.

Quote:
WELCOMING ALL THOUGHTS AND SUGGESTIONS!!!!
8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:01 PM
Default Re: TRIP PLANNING QUESTION????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL BEAST

Traffic jams can be tough to plan for. Your best move is to avoid them when possible. Bear in mind that most cities will have rush hour back ups, and try to plan around them when possible. As an example: say you're parked for the night in NW INdiana and tomorrow you are heading West through Chicago. Leave early! Waking up at 3AM may not seem appealing, but when you skate through the windy with no slow downs, you'll be glad you did it.

Sometimes you just can't plan this way (especially on the East coast.) Dock appointments can force you into traffic, driving across multiple metro areas (such as running I95 in the NE) can as well. In those cases the best you can do is have a plan B. You figured at 50MPH and it brings you to a certain point, but you know traffic will be an issue and you might not make that. So look for other stopping points starting at the 400 mile mark. That way, if you fall short you still know where to stop.

Also consider the traffic issue before you accept a tight load. That is a very tough thing to do, and exprience is the only thing that will really help you out. As a rookie just make sure there is a little breathing room allowed in a trip. If you are dispatched on a 500 mile run, and have 10 hours to deliver and you are running through multiple cities during the day, you might have a problem. In my experience, dispattches like that aren't too common, so don't panic about it, just be aware.

As for accidents, I always found the CB to be my best friend. If you pay attention, you will often here about an accident long before you see it and sometimes will even get the scoop on alternate routes. It can be hard to listen to all the trash on the radio, but it can be worth it at times.
And she keeps me satisfied"

"As if you ever knew what it was taking you down the line..."
Old 11-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Here is what I do....

When planning my trip I use 50 mph for an average speed if traveling mainly by interstates. 45 mph if the majority of time in going to be on US and state routes.

I then add one hour to the estimated amount of time it will take for this trip.

Between the 50 mph average and the extra hour it usually allows enough extra time for a couple of breaks as well as traffic and possibly getting a little lost trying to find someplace.

You can not plan for everything, and there will be times when it seems the universe is working hard at keeping you from getting to where you need to be when you need to be there, but this should give you enough of a safety margin to cover most situations.

BTW: Any time you know you will be late, or think there may be a good chance of being late for an appointment contact your dispatcher ASAP and let him or her know the problem and when your new ETA is. (Late anything over 15 minutes) This way they can contact the customer and let them know you are on your way and when you expect to be there.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Senior Board Member

If you plan trips at 50mph, you'll have time to wait out all but the most horrendous traffic jams. At that rate, for every hour there is not a traffic jam, you'll put yourself 15 minutes or so ahead of schedule. I.e. 4 hours of cruising along at 65mph would allow for a full hour of sitting stationary without affecting your schedule. There are very few times that traffic will force you to sit stationary for an hour. Going off the interstate, as previously mentioned, usually makes 45mph a good starting point for planning.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Here is what I do....

When planning my trip I use 50 mph for an average speed if traveling mainly by interstates. 45 mph if the majority of time in going to be on US and state routes.
You do trip planning when driving to the store to get diapers? :shock: :lol:
Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Board Icon

I'm not really "up" on trip planning for solo drivers, but I think it might be pertinent to mention that you must ALSO add in your 10 hour breaks!

I drive team, and I have a "slow" co-driver, so I take the total miles (say 2500) and figure 50mph average including stops and meals. That's 50 hours, but we're always moving (so to speak.)

As a "solo" you have to figure this amount of time, AND add in your 10 hour breaks. THEN.... like I do..... you should allow another 3 hours or more for breakdowns/flat tires.

I have a 75mph truck, and I don't drive in TOO many areas that require less than 65mph.... so I figure my "driving time" at 60 mph or more, and add in an hour for breaks, 10 hours for shutdown for each 11, and 3 more hours for flat tires. (when I drive SOLO!)

I totally agree with projecting your run out to see if you will hit a big city at rush hour, and either adjust your departure time (if possible) or look for ways around it. [This is a good excuse to use split logging!]

A "good" trip planner would know the alternate routes for EVERY part of the country he is running in! But, failing that.... there is NO substitute for listening to the CB!

There are certain areas, like New England, where learning a longer route around the congestion is invaluable! If your company will okay it, driving as much as 80 to 100 miles around a big city can save you time!

Remember this!..... If you have a "program" that shows you the shortest route, and it goes THROUGH a big city..... check the route AROUND the city..... many times it will be only 2 miles or so longer! The computer won't tell you THAT! YOU have to check it out on your OWN!

The LONGER the trip.... the LESS impact a 50 mile "detour" will make! NEVER go through a city if you can go around it! WHY?? Because INNER city interstates have more traffic coming on and going off, which will slow you down at the least! And they have a 500% higher chance of having an accident (even if you're not involved) that will/can cost you an hour or more! [And perhaps your job/career IF you are hit with a "preventable."]

If you have nothing more than an Atlas, do THIS! In the back you will find mileages between major cities. You will ALSO find a "straight line" grid between cities. Compare the "shortest" distance with the one you add up on the "straight line" grid for a Drive Around! If it is LESS than 50 miles difference, you MUST consider the alternate route as a viable alternative, especially if you would hit a big city at rush hour!

If you question my statements, consider this. Besides driving coast to coast (at all hours) for a MERE two years.... I worked for ONSTAR for 4 years, and have helped MANY drivers avoid backups so many times I lost count!

The "shortest" distance between A and B MAY be a straight line..... but sometimes the "quickest" distance is an ANGLE! I've PROVED it.... many times over!

Best of luck! And "welcome" to trucking!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
I'm not really "up" on trip planning for solo drivers, but I think it might be pertinent to mention that you must ALSO add in your 10 hour breaks!

I drive team, and I have a "slow" co-driver, so I take the total miles (say 2500) and figure 50mph average including stops and meals. That's 50 hours, but we're always moving (so to speak.)

As a "solo" you have to figure this amount of time, AND add in your 10 hour breaks. THEN.... like I do..... you should allow another 3 hours or more for breakdowns/flat tires.

I have a 75mph truck, and I don't drive in TOO many areas that require less than 65mph.... so I figure my "driving time" at 60 mph or more, and add in an hour for breaks, 10 hours for shutdown for each 11, and 3 more hours for flat tires. (when I drive SOLO!)

I totally agree with projecting your run out to see if you will hit a big city at rush hour, and either adjust your departure time (if possible) or look for ways around it. [This is a good excuse to use split logging!]

A "good" trip planner would know the alternate routes for EVERY part of the country he is running in! But, failing that.... there is NO substitute for listening to the CB!

There are certain areas, like New England, where learning a longer route around the congestion is invaluable! If your company will okay it, driving as much as 80 to 100 miles around a big city can save you time!

Remember this!..... If you have a "program" that shows you the shortest route, and it goes THROUGH a big city..... check the route AROUND the city..... many times it will be only 2 miles or so longer! The computer won't tell you THAT! YOU have to check it out on your OWN!

The LONGER the trip.... the LESS impact a 50 mile "detour" will make! NEVER go through a city if you can go around it! WHY?? Because INNER city interstates have more traffic coming on and going off, which will slow you down at the least! And they have a 500% higher chance of having an accident (even if you're not involved) that will/can cost you an hour or more! [And perhaps your job/career IF you are hit with a "preventable."]

If you have nothing more than an Atlas, do THIS! In the back you will find mileages between major cities. You will ALSO find a "straight line" grid between cities. Compare the "shortest" distance with the one you add up on the "straight line" grid for a Drive Around! If it is LESS than 50 miles difference, you MUST consider the alternate route as a viable alternative, especially if you would hit a big city at rush hour!

If you question my statements, consider this. Besides driving coast to coast (at all hours) for a MERE two years.... I worked for ONSTAR for 4 years, and have helped MANY drivers avoid backups so many times I lost count!

The "shortest" distance between A and B MAY be a straight line..... but sometimes the "quickest" distance is an ANGLE! I've PROVED it.... many times over!

Best of luck! And "welcome" to trucking!
Very well written, and educational. Personally, at the present time, it doesn't quite apply to me since my operational radius is about 300 km at the most, and I'm back home every night. But, when things change for me in about a year's time, I see myself going OTR in the US ( much as my I like my present work ), and your advice will be of great value.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Board Member