User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 12:22 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

if you start getting persistant headaches it's a good sign of Carbon Monoxide and time to get it checked out.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Board Regular
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

this was one of my first items of purchase, carbon monoxide cant be detected by none of the human senses, so you can fall asleep and never even know your being poisioned....do yourself a favor and spend 25-45 bucks and stop the worrying.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger
This is a warning to all drivers who drive a Mercedes Benz engine with the EGR system.

These engines leak exhaust from a slip coupling in the egr system at the rear of the engine, just above the exhaust manifold.

The fumes will gather under the hood and be sucked into the heater/ac fresh air inlet. The Freightliner is bad, but Sterling is worse. When stopped, or especially backing, the truck will fill with exhaust fumes if the heat or normal a/c is on.

The Freightliners, at least I know the Columbias do, have a recirculate button that will keep most exhaust out when set on recirculate. The Sterlings have no such setting except max a/c. In the Sterling, a driver has to remember to turn off the heat/ac before stopping or backing.

Every truck with the Mercedes EGR engine I have driven has been this way. BE CAREFUL.

I have been told that all the EGR Mercedes engines do this, and Freightliner knows about it, but really wants to keep it quiet.

I turned in a Sterling sub tractor yesterday that I used while mine was being repaired. That thing would burn your eyes out. This was the third Sterling I have driven in the past few months, and all were doing the same. The Freightliner I drive has a pre-egr Mercedes engine. It has no such problem.

The one mechanic who admitted to a problem said all the trucks with the EGR Mercedes engines were like that. This company has well over 100 of them.

If you drive one, demand it be fixed. I have written up every one I have driven. If you raise the hood and look at the coupling I described, you will see the soot around it and on the engine block.

There needs to be a recall before someone dies, if it hasn't happened already. I wonder what engines were in the trucks in San Antonio.
one of the "band-aids" they were using locally for that problem was a piece of CARDBOARD... siliconed to the firewall to redirect the fumes... what an insult!
Old 12-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Board Regular

Watch out for trucks that have their exhaust pointed to the ground and out the side. We had a car carrier park next to us one night and my wife woke up from a severe headache, the smell of exhaust was extremely bad in our cab.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!