Old 12-16-2006, 04:05 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin
I have seen things like this happen. Trucking is a different world, that attracts a different breed.

I have run across a few trainers, that outright brag about the money they make training. That is all fine and good, but they are not teaching anything. You would know this after spending a few minutes with the trainee.

And the sad part is, many co's will make a trainer out of a guy with less then a years experience. I know, been there, done that. I had about the same amount of time behind the wheel, and this trainer of mine was a rube. I through him off the truck! At a terminal, I have more class then that. :wink:
If DOT allowed me the make the rules the first thing I would do is require

1) every company would have on the front bumper a sign saying this is a training truck.

2) The second requirement would be all trainer would log On Duty anytime the truck was being driven. Anytime there was a trainee the trainer would not be allow to drive.
No team driving.

3) The trainer would be required to co-sign all safety inspection. Any scale weight would be the responsibly of the trainer and signed by the trainer.

4) A driver could not be a trainer with less than 5 years current driving experience. They would be required to pass test designed to test the trainer knowledge in both driving and training.

DOT requires this type of requirement in the other fields that DOT regulates so why shouldn't it be required for truck driving?

Now ain't you glad DOT doesn't hire me to make the rules?

kc0iv

Sounds like a good plan to me. Something needs to be done. I had drivers that worked for 3 years + OTR, that could not even scale a truck, much less do a log book. They all got flying colors from their previous employers. Imagine that?

Maybe it is just me, but I grew up around farm equipment and such. And have always worked in fields that many consider illegal alien type work now, other then my time as a surgical nurse. And I have been seeing a trend in our younger male population, they are girly men. They seem to be very adverse to work, preferring women to carry the financial burdens now a days. What does this have to do with trucking? Allot, but I don't want to go there right now.

If I could bottle common sense, I would be the wealthiest man on earth.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Senior Board Member

This type of situation does seem plausible, given the plentiful supply of substandard and mentally imbalanced trainers out there.

At the same time, it also seems like a good ruse for a panhandler to use.

Maybe I'll try it out for myself when I reactivate my "Will Work For Food" Franchise!! :P
Old 12-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
This type of situation does seem plausible, given the plentiful supply of substandard and mentally imbalanced trainers out there.

Maybe I'll try it out for myself when I reactivate my "Will Work For Food" Franchise!! :P
It's already been done, I think the headquarters is in NY. I forget the fee, but it was highly rated in Entrepreneur Magazine. :shock:
Old 12-16-2006, 11:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:

It's already been done, I think the headquarters is in NY. I forget the fee, but it was highly rated in Entrepreneur Magazine. :shock:

Was it Entrepreneur Magazine?? Are you absolutely certain??

I think you are slightly confused!!

Remember, there is a magazine for HOMELESS entrepreneurs called:
stinc. Magazine!! :P
Old 12-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Was it Entrepreneur Magazine?? Are you absolutely certain??

I think you are slightly confused!!

Remember, there is a magazine for HOMELESS entrepreneurs called stInc. Magazine!! :P
Entrepreneur Magazine, I am certain. It was in the 2005 issue of most highly rated franchises. :wink: