User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Team Driving ?????????????

Has anyone went to a company to be a team driver with out already having a team mate? How does the company match you with a partner ? What if you cant get along will they let you switch team partners? If you are newbie will they team you with an exprienced driver or another newbie? The reasons for the questions are i am going to start training with Millis on1/29/2007 and if for some reason I don't like the solo driving I think I will want to go team and does anyone know a good company to go to team without already having a teaming partner?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:38 AM

Most companies will team a newbie with a trainer for a little while. After that, it can go either way. I know at least one company (Rhoel, if memory serves) that after the initial training teams 2 newbies together. That sounds stupid but I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Maybe 2 newbies working together are more comfortable and more likely to persevere. I don't know.

You state that you might not like solo. Understand one thing- whether you go team or solo, you are not changing jobs, you are not changing careers, you are changing lifestyles. If you can commit yourself to stick this thing out for a full year- come hell or high water- then you'll have an idea of whether otr trucking is for you. I can tell you right now you'll like it for a few weeks, hate it for 6 months, then if it's for you, gradually come to love it. Lots of folks make the mistake of cutting out before they allow themselves the time to learn how to exist comfortably in their new lifestyle. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:42 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Team Driving ?????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3130
Has anyone went to a company to be a team driver with out already having a team mate? How does the company match you with a partner ? What if you cant get along will they let you switch team partners? If you are newbie will they team you with an exprienced driver or another newbie? The reasons for the questions are i am going to start training with Millis on1/29/2007 and if for some reason I don't like the solo driving I think I will want to go team and does anyone know a good company to go to team without already having a teaming partner?
Tom,

Don't sweat it. Suck it up and be a man. You are going to have to learn this stuff, one way or another, unless you quit.

Look at this as like being in the military, because that is what you are in for. And if I was 20 years younger, that is exactly where I would be, BACK in the military. :wink:

I still have the "flat top", and that ain't no lie. :shock: