User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

McRookerson,

You will do fine, I started trucking after a very ugly divorce. Long story, I won't bore you with it. I lost everything, along with a very promising nursing career.

I chose trucking, and this was before the internet and places like this, for a roof and three squares a day. I have been at it for 17 years. I now have my own authority, have owned multiple trucks with drivers, hauled vans flats and reefers, blah, blah, blah...

And yes there are days that I hate it, and others that I could not imagine doing anything else.

As far as the negative comments, you will find allot of that out here. I try to stay away from those guys, which makes me a pretty solitary person. You will find quite a few different people out here, many of the liberal mind set, which I will never understand. I never got along with this bunch, and find that their outlook on life is a one way ticket to nowhere, and can really bring a guy down.

And as far as the guys with a decent paying, boring job, that happen to have a wife and children. I would recommend to those guys, that are still putting food on the table, to stay out of trucking. I have had a few drivers under my employ in the past like that. I found that after putting in a week or two, they are pretty much finished with trucking. They have quit a good job, hindsight, and really hacked off their family.

I have also had guys that lost local, or dedicated runs, that I hired for OTR. Same deal, a week or two out and they quit. They are homesick, miss the wife and kids, and don't have the where with all to stick it out for at least a year to build up some money, and at the very least save their house from foreclosure.

We don't make men like we used to in this country. They are pretty soft, and don't mind a woman to carry the load that they should be, no matter what the short term sacrifice.

What I read in this thread that is so true, that you may take offense at, is the fact that you will more then likely be treated like a 3rd grader. That is why I no longer employ drivers, thinking that I had hired adults, I realized I was not an employer, but a babysitter, and it cost me dearly.

This treatment, which I am sure you will have to endure, was good enough motivation for me to buy a truck, and eventually get my own authority. If I get treated like a kid, that is my problem now. Which I do not recall happening for quite a long time.

Have a good time trucking, stay away from the many negative people out here, and you will do better then fine.

:wink:
Old 12-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
Thanks for some positive feedback. I'm moving forward. I've got my DOT physical done, took the general knowledge test and got my drivers permit today. I got a Letter of Intent to Hire from Interstate Distributors. I don't know if its worth the paper its written on! But, it was great to hear they were interested. I start school at CDS on Janurary 15th.

I am trying to take a rational approach toward this move. I know the hours will be long and the pay ain't the best. But, I've got to admit I haven't been this excited about a job since I began my career 25 years ago. I don't know if you can relate to getting up every morning dreading the thought of another day in the office. I wanted to throw myself on a sharpened pencil! Like some of the other newbies posting here, I'll try to keep you all updated as I begin school and start this new journey!
Starting school @ CDS on the same date. See you there!
Old 01-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Rookie

So whatever happened to Rookie McRookerson? He said "Secretoktober,

Your comments seem to be typical of someone who is extremely unhappy with your career choices. What I don't understand is why you have chosen to come back to such a lousy career choice three times? If its as bad as you describe, instead of banging your head against that same wall again, why don't you turn left and take a different careed path?"

And haven't heard from him!!!!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Then your not looking.... he's here and posting.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Board Regular

hey glass man dont let all this negativity get you down.im gonna tell gordon about all the drivers i trained and ill get you started just fine! mill shut down so i be trucking thru oakville for a week.my auto slop was in the shop so i got one with dual exhaust stacks and george bush sticker in back window!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer
hey glass man dont let all this negativity get you down.im gonna tell gordon about all the drivers i trained and ill get you started just fine! mill shut down so i be trucking thru oakville for a week.my auto slop was in the shop so i got one with dual exhaust stacks and george bush sticker in back window!
Get me down :? not me, worried? Sometimes, but that's natural starting over at my age. Someone asked about me and cdl school, don't remember if I replied. My 2nd Doctor can't see me to release me for work until late Jan. so won't be able to start school until Feb. Which should be a good thing, Trucking should pick up by the time I'm done with school.

Careful with that Bush sticker, someone might think is for target practice :wink: So you gona get out of that chipper truck and go to Gordon, or do you just know some of the guys?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:36 AM
Board Regular

i ben trying to figure if its worth it.when i quit swift i was making 26cpm,now i see ads for 40 cpm.i make 43k here so would hate to work 24/7 for same pay.my night shift driver went to interstate dist and made 43k but he only gets 36cpm.he sold his house and e mails about all the cash he has for land and stocks in such.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Board Regular

i could not handle that prison job i think.that frosty mug speaks the truth.i remember the bad parts.i used to stress out on getting into shippers before rush hour and would get up early and check qcomm directions on map and get in and out no problem 90% of time.it realy sucks making a wrong turn with a 53 or a set.do you want to wait an hour 4 a shower or sleep?its a great oppurtunity to be a nomad and go everywhere and it might be gone someday.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Career Transition to OTR Trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
I would like to hear from anyone who really likes their job as a driver and why.
In other words, you want people to tell you what you want to hear: that OTR truckdriving is all about sunsets, rainbows, and Shania Twain on the radio. That the "Highpay Highway" is paved with gold dubloons as far as the eye can see.

If so, then why the massive 130% annual churn rates in the biz?

Truth be told, I enjoyed my time in OTR as far as driving the truck was concerned. Why did I quit? Mostly because I thought $8.00 - $11.00/hr was crap money for the job. With such a low hourly wage, you end up "fudging" the logbook so you can keep the wheels rolling. The result is living to work instead of working to live: 12-14 hour days are pretty much industry standard.

Then there was the whole living out of the truck thing. It's fun at first - almost like camping. But the novelty of truckstops and not being able to find a decent place to sleep at night wears off and after awhile I yearned to be in my own bed.

I left OTR but I didn't leave trucking. I now work for an LTL company that gets me home everynight and pays me an excellent wage for every hour on the job. As a result, I don't have to work 12-14 hour days just to take home a decent check. I'll never go back to OTR as long as the crappy pay rates and working conditions persist. And with all the foreigners, felons, and Mexicans getting behind the wheel, it's only gonna get worse.

So there you have it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Catch ya' on the boulevard!
Does this guy ever have anything positive to say? Just about every post is negative.