Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Career Transition to OTR Trucking (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/22828-career-transition-otr-trucking.html)

Rookie McRookerson 12-06-2006 07:34 AM

Career Transition to OTR Trucking

I found this web site a couple weeks ago. I've been hooked ever since :!: I must say I found some of the information discouraging. I understand why so many in the industry would discourage family persons from this career field. I guess I am looking for some feedback from experienced truckers considering my situation.

I am a 50 year old male. I have worked in my current career field for 25 years and for the past 10 years I've been a mid manager. I have been miserable in my job for the past 2 years. My wife and I are divorcing and our kids are grown and on their own. I found myself no longer chained to my desk with mortgage payments and family responsibilities. I have found money and stuff doesn't buy happiness. I'm okay with making less money. I want to drive otr. I love driving, always have. I have always been facinated with trucks.

So many posts are very negative. They talk about slave labor, poor pay, abusive driver managers, walking through urine, etc. Yet they themselves continue to drive. I don't know if these are people who never have anything positive to say, or if they are burned out and can't make the decision to get out of the industry.

At 50 I find myself foot loose and fancy free, so to speak. I have no ties that bind me. I can be out on the road without nagging a driver manager for home time.

Is this job that bad? Is there no job satisfaction? Is it the vocal minority who post all the negative comments or is it really that bad out there?

I would like to hear from anyone who really likes their job as a driver and why.

Malaki86 12-06-2006 07:49 AM

Speaking from personal experiences, this is definetely one of my better jobs (and I've had a lot of em). There are times you'll have a bad day (or week or month), but other days will go by so smoothly that you won't even notice them.

As far as job satisfaction, any time you can move a 80k vehicle through the mountains when there's snow & ice on the highways, other vehcles stuck on both sides of the road but you manage to go straight through without a hiccup, that's satisfaction. Something else that's very satisfying (at least it is to me) is when I get a load going to an area I've never seen. My first trip to Seattle was amazing. I don't think I've ever seen such beautiful country as I did across Montana.

The bad days may be from dispatch not being able to find you a load and you do a lot of sitting. It may be going to an area that's plain out horrible to go to (north-east). It may be going to a shipper/receiver that just plain out doesn't care about truck drivers.

If driving is something you think you'll like, and can handle being away from home 2-3 weeks at a time, then you should do it.

Rookie McRookerson 12-06-2006 08:31 AM

Thanks for some positive feedback. I'm moving forward. I've got my DOT physical done, took the general knowledge test and got my drivers permit today. I got a Letter of Intent to Hire from Interstate Distributors. I don't know if its worth the paper its written on! But, it was great to hear they were interested. I start school at CDS on Janurary 15th.

I am trying to take a rational approach toward this move. I know the hours will be long and the pay ain't the best. But, I've got to admit I haven't been this excited about a job since I began my career 25 years ago. I don't know if you can relate to getting up every morning dreading the thought of another day in the office. I wanted to throw myself on a sharpened pencil! Like some of the other newbies posting here, I'll try to keep you all updated as I begin school and start this new journey!

Doktari 12-06-2006 09:15 AM

I just started CDL school on Monday so I have no truck driving experience to offer ya but I can maybe offer up some moral support.

From the background you provided I don't see a single reason NOT to go for it. You've been around the block enough to know that in ANY job, there are the naysayers, bad mouthers, etc. There are those that love it, those that hate it, etc. What it boils down to IMO is that if after 6 months to a year you can make an honest and personal assessment and at that point you'll never have to wonder what it would be like to drive a truck. If you hate it at that point, quit and do something else. There's always Amway, flopping Whoppers, Wallmart greeters, etc. as other choices. :)

You're too old for the French Foreign Legion though. I actually almost went that route about 15 years ago. The only thing that stopped me were my daughters.

Anyway, the way I see it, it'll be a great way to let you think about life, figure out what your next move is (if you don't like trucking), meet some new people, see some new parts of the country and get paid to do all that. I'm going to be taking my laptop along and doing some writing, staying in touch with current friends. I'll have a digital camera with me and will be able to chronicle the places I've been, etc.

I say go for it. You've got nothing to loose.

Don't know if any of that helps but there ya go.

GL to ya.

GMAN 12-06-2006 12:48 PM

I have been around this business for some time and if I didn't enjoy it, I would go do something else. I could do something else. I CHOOSE to be in this business. There are a lot of whiners in trucking. Some people wouldn't be happy no matter what they do. It has problems like any other industry, but there is not another business quite like it. Most of us try to give a realistic view of the business, but there are some who may have had negative experiences and translate that in to bemoaning the entire industry. You can make an above average income. You will likely pay your dues, starting out, with lower wages. Greater compensation comes with experience. You will work long hours and there are things which you will do and not be compensated. That is not unique to trucking. Your success will depend on your attitude and ability to learn and do your job well. Life is too short to work at a job you dislike. I would encourage you to follow your dream. Good luck.

Thor 12-06-2006 03:09 PM

McRookerson:

Thank-you for your post. It was done in a very professional manner. I am in a similar position as you, as I retired from the fire service after 29 years. I am not ready to stop working although I still want to do my fishing annually on Lake Eufaula, Oklahoma.

I am researching different companies and find a lot of them were left by unhappy drivers for various reasons that we have seen posted here. Sadly, those are the some of the same companies that
my lack of experience qualifies. I didn't go with an Intent to Hire process during my CDL training.

As with you, I am going to give this industry a try. I'll evaluate the negatives I read and reserve judgments as I look for patterns and clusters from individuals and companies.

Good luck in your career change. I'll have flagged this thread to monitor your experience.

/Steve

ssoutlaw 12-06-2006 04:07 PM

I think the advice you have been given here is real and GMan will always give it to you straight. I have been in this business for almost 30 yrs and have felt like you do now about your job. I always wanted more time with my family, so I would come off the road for awhile then the road would call to me again and I knew what I was meant to do! I too am divorced and my kids are grown, so now I can do what I was meant to do with out the stress of wondering if it is right or wrong. There is money to be made in this business, but like any job you must be dedicated and realize this is not a playground.
I think you will be fine, after dedicating yourself to 25 yrs in the same job and raising a family. I think you will go far in this business.
We are the same age so I think you will remember this saying, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. This job is what you make it.
Welcome to the business, and be safe.....

New2This 12-06-2006 05:19 PM

Great post ssoutlaw....you're right about GMAN...I trust his posts...I am currently awaiting my confirmation to a company today. I'm to start Monday for orientation. I too like you and Rookie McRook, the same age and situation. No ties and I'm really excited AND nervous at the same time. I hope it's all that I hear it CAN be. I've been reading posts here since August...graduated school in November...and used the advice of many posters here to choose a comany. Now begins life OTR (I HOPE---LOL). The posts here at CAD have been invalueable. Thanks to all btw.
BOL RookieMcRook

Rookie McRookerson 12-06-2006 08:04 PM

I really really appreciate the positive response from everyone. It tells me I'm not unique, I'm just another bozo on the bus! I guess it is natural to question yourself with such a big change. My roots have been planted deep.

Dokarti: I too plan to take a digital camera and post my new adventures. However, I am mindfull that this is not an extended vacation. I'll be out there to move freight. But, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the sights along the way.

G-Man: I have read enough of your posts the realize your insight is accurate and valuable. Like I said in my original post, I have been a mid-manager for 10 years. I am certainly accostomed to the expectation of uncompensated work.

All of your comments have helped me to feel I am doing the right thing for me. All my life I have done the right thing for my wife and family. I have always put them first, even if it way personally painfull to me. Now its my time!

I'm a very spiritual person. I pray every morning for the knowledge of God's will for me and the power to carry that out. So far, God hasn't put any roadblocks in my way regarding this move. So I will continue walking down this road of happy destiny. If its not meant to be, He will let that be known at some point. I just have to trust the process.

Thanks to all! :D

Rick

ssoutlaw 12-06-2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie McRookerson
I really really appreciate the positive response from everyone. It tells me I'm not unique, I'm just another bozo on the bus! I guess it is natural to question yourself with such a big change. My roots have been planted deep.

Dokarti: I too plan to take a digital camera and post my new adventures. However, I am mindfull that this is not an extended vacation. I'll be out there to move freight. But, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the sights along the way.

G-Man: I have read enough of your posts the realize your insight is accurate and valuable. Like I said in my original post, I have been a mid-manager for 10 years. I am certainly accostomed to the expectation of uncompensated work.

All of your comments have helped me to feel I am doing the right thing for me. All my life I have done the right thing for my wife and family. I have always put them first, even if it way personally painfull to me. Now its my time!

I'm a very spiritual person. I pray every morning for the knowledge of God's will for me and the power to carry that out. So far, God hasn't put any roadblocks in my way regarding this move. So I will continue walking down this road of happy destiny. If its not meant to be, He will let that be known at some point. I just have to trust the process.

Thanks to all! :D

Rick

I know how you feel about living your life for others and not yourself.Don't get me wrong, I love my family but 27 yrs, raised 2 family's and 4 children leaves you wondering about the rest of your life. Just remember it is a hard life on the road, but the outcome has its rewards!