User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 04:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Dont forget the trainers/trainee drivers- when one leaves soiled underware in the cab for a week! :shock: :shock: :lol:
Old 12-06-2006, 04:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjax
And people with smelly feet- there oughta be a law! :lol:
:shock: uh oh! :lol: :lol:
Old 12-06-2006, 04:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Yeah, and people with messy houses. Why, there oughta be a law! And people with smelly feet- there oughta be a law! :lol:

Good grief. What is this country coming to.
It's coming down to a bunch of smokers thinking it their God given right to smoke themselves (which I don't object to) and me (I greatly object to) to death. As long as what you do doesn't affect someone else it should be legal. Smoking affects my rights and my pocket book. Outlaw it!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:38 AM

Let me ask you a question Terry. Are you a sports fan. Well if you are, who do you think builds these nice new stadiums. Yep, you guessed it. SMOKERS. And then we cant even smoke in them. This is not the only thing that smokers pay for. Any time the state needs money for anything, guess who they attack for the extra tax money. In ohio a new .40 per pack tax was passed in Cuyahoga county to help pay for some kind of arts. They will never outlaw smoking like you want, because then who will they tax when they are short on cash. Be careful what you wish for, if there are no smokers, this will be on your next ballot, if you drive a freightliner, a .10 per mile tax will be taken to study flowers or something ridiculous like that. Believe me if I could change one thing about me, I would quit smoking, and no non smoker will ever realize how hard it is to quit. All I am saying is you act like non smokers are GOD and you are the only ones suffering.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:32 AM
Senior Board Member

I was in Seattle a few days after their no smoking laws went into effect. When I lit up a cigarette, people looked at me like I had monkeys crawling out of my butt.

Non-smokers - deal with it. We have just as much right to smoke as you do not to. Remember, this is supposed to be America, where we are supposed to be able to make our own choices, good or bad. At least it used to be anyway. Not sure any more.

The laws that really get me are the ones that ban outdoor smoking. I can clearly understand the indoor bans and have no problem with them whatsoever. But there's no possible way someone smoking outdoors is going to bother you.

In fact, I was outside having a cigarette one day. There was a light breeze blowing the entire time. Some woman walks by and starts the 'anti-smoking' cough. The wind was blowing the smoke away from her. In fact, I had more of a right to complain about how much damn perfume she was wearing than she did about my cigarette.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Teamster, I am not sure how smokers could have build stadiums. Most of them seem to be built by taxes such as sales or property tax. I agree that the government will never get rid of smoking. It is too much of a cash cow. They know that no matter how expensive the cigarettes are, smokers will continue to buy. Smokers are addicted and will do what they have to in order to feed their habit. Because of the addictive nature of cigarettes, it should probably be considered a drug.

I don't have a problem with someone smoking as long as they keep it away from me. Fewer than 1/3 of the population smoke. I believe it must be higher in the trucking industry. Both my parents smoked. My dad finally quit. My mother passed away about 2 years ago. Her last request was for a cigarette. She was too weak to puff, but that is what she desperately wanted. Cigarettes killed my mother. I think there are many reasons to get rid of cigarettes. I just don't see it happening. If all smokers were considerate and kept their smoke to themselves, you would probably not see non-smokers say much about it. I think education would do more to help reduce smoking than legislation. I think we have too many laws. And I still feel that more laws are not the answer. My guess is that the state is short of cash and see this as a way to increase revenue. :x
Old 12-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Default Smoke Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
If true, they will need to have a separate division for the DOT or State Patrol to enforce it. Let's see.....they could call it the "Cigarette Safety Patrol." :P
Sadly - Am here in Ohio - and they already have a name "Smoke Police" - and on every sign on every door is a 800 number to call if you wish to report a smoker. Fines to businesses up to $2500.00 per offense.

The phone number is 866.559.6446
www.nonforceddispatch.com
---
Old 12-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Default I so wanted to NOT reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Yeah, and people with messy houses. Why, there oughta be a law! And people with smelly feet- there oughta be a law! :lol:

Good grief. What is this country coming to.
It's coming down to a bunch of smokers thinking it their God given right to smoke themselves (which I don't object to) and me (I greatly object to) to death. As long as what you do doesn't affect someone else it should be legal. Smoking affects my rights and my pocket book. Outlaw it!
I have zero problem with NOT smoking around non-smokers. But I feel that each business owner should have the right to make their place of business either smoking, or non-smoking - then each customer could choose to visit that business or not.

How does my smoking in my home, in my car, on my property, or at a place posted as a smoking area, "affect your rights and your pocket book?"

Let's see, I think iced-tea is gross, and seeing people drink it makes me feel ill - so they should outlaw it...please, let's ues a bit of sense here?!

Smoke knows no boundries! I agree with that statement. Non-smokers have rights! I also agree with that statement. Now, do you agree with the following statement? Smokers have rights!

Allow me to pose a question.

A big shopping mall with a huge parking lot. I am outside my car (or truck) smoking 200+ yards from the nearest building. While I am standing there, you, a non-smoker, choose to pull into the parking space next to me, and you get out of your car frowning at me for invading your right to not smell/breathe MY smoke.

Who is wrong here? I believe this is the basic issue. Non-smokers think they should NEVER have to see, smell, inhale smoke - no matter what! Yet if you CHOOSE to park next to me in a large parking lot - who is wrong? Whose rights are being stepped on?!

Tis why allowing a business owner to chose - smoking or non-smoking, and let the customers vote with their pocket.

I bet most all smokers are OK with that choice, but so many of you non-smokers would hate allowing a business owner to make that choice!

The above was (sadly) proven in Ohio as we had two proposed laws on the ballot at the same time - the one that passed - and one that would force all public places to either be fully non-smoking, or fully smoking.
www.nonforceddispatch.com
---
Old 12-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

What some smokers don't seem to realize is that some people are extremely allergic to cigarette smoke. Some have respiratory problems and even the slightest smell can have them gasping for breath. Anyone who smokes gets the smell in their clothing and everything else around them. That in itself can cause problems for some people. When you smoke, you don't notice the smell. Unfortunately, I doubt if the law in Ohio will be the last one of it's kind to pass through other states.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamster
Let me ask you a question Terry. Are you a sports fan. Well if you are, who do you think builds these nice new stadiums. Yep, you guessed it. SMOKERS.
I am not a sports fan. As long as I don't have to pay for the stadiums, I don't care who does.