User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 07:07 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Mcelroy

I have worked for mcelroy for a year and a half and have been hoem every friday. They will get you home every friday but you may have to leave on sunday early or late.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:16 AM
Rookie
Default Trucking

The trucking indusrty is so negative in general all you here on the cb is negativity in general. You make enough to be happy I hope. You so called senior truckers may have different opinions but just do your job. The poeple that speculate that every one, is this and that are very irational. Live life and be happy.
Shut up and drive down the road. You are the same one in a traffic jam that says you just turned on your CB!!
Just my opinion.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
All the big outfits promise to get you home on the weekend. The problem is what their definition of "weekend" is. Many times, they roll you into the homestead on Saturday afternoon and expect you to be locked, cocked, and ready to rock on Sunday evening. Just what the hell kind of "weekend" is that? A 34-hour reset? Man, what a ripoff!

A weekend to me means clocking out Friday night at around oh 5:00 PM or so and not see hide nor hair of the chaingang til' Monday morning. Between those important milestones = boatloads of football on the HDTV, getting drunk as a lord, eating lots of stuff bad for my arteries/liver...sleeping off a skull-busting hangover. Now that's a weekend!!

I could work for you...lol
Old 08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Board Regular

Most of the coolie carriers want you to stay out multiple weeks on end, so they give you 1 day off for every week out. Most will try to convince you staying out 4 weeks is the way to go, then you get 4 days off. Some will make sure you stay out 4 weeks by conveniently routing you away from the house.

JB makes the drivers that want to be home every weekend clean their trucks out every week, and load up another one on Mon. Not many would want to move into another nasty truck every week so they bent over and took the 2+ week deal.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:40 PM

Another McElroy here.. 2.3 yrs in solo. See above link to CO website..
Flatbed, Regional and some Dedicated. Great outfit.
Most you find that say, "Home weekends", do indeed mean that they make every effort on the dispatching to get you home on Friday evening/night, but it will be expected for you to leave out early enough Sunday PM to be at your drop by 9PM in order to have your 10hrs behind you, ready for the week.
That may mean getting your Monday Load ready up on that Friday evening/night or coming in on Sunday to secure, maybe tarp and then take off.
Lowes loads are most often 'pre-tarped', (draped only), you secure it.
You could roll in on Friday PM with your Monday load already under you.. If your drop is at or under 3 hours away from the Terminal or your house, you may find yourself flying out very early Monday AM to hit your mark at 0700 or whatever your appointment time is..
I have, myself, gotten tied up with family matters over a weekend that's had me fly out say Midnight to 2AM Monday to hit my mark. But that kind of stunt will start your week and your FM out on a "behind" footing that you won't straighten out during the week - while it will get you in EARLIER come Friday... :wink: But I don't recommend it as a habit.

I don't know of any carrier that doesn't have a list o clients that are expecting their Monday Shipment to hit 1st thing in the morning. Late appointments happen.. but remember that's going to dig into you for the rest o the week.
As well, there's money to be made on late Friday receivers - which puts you into Saturday AM for the catch up on the Monday trailer... There are a tremendous number of variables that occur out here, many out of the control o Dispatch or anyone else. That's trucking. Butch up. :mrgreen:
Your style and your pattern will have a lot to do with it.

McElroy takes "fresh" grads.. That said, they took me almost 2 months outta school but I'm 51 and it was a PTDI course. Pretty safe gamble for both of us..
It's 2 weeks Orientation at the HQ in Cuba. It's 4 weeks out with a Trainer that they make every effort possible to be close to your hometown. It's a final week back at the HQ.. And really, if you make it that far, you're in your own truck and gone by the Friday PM.
Wanna Skateboard it?
CALL'em.
We're not Big.
We're just Big Enough..
Old 08-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Board Member

[/quote]JB makes the drivers that want to be home every weekend clean their trucks out every week, and load up another one on Mon. Not many would want to move into another nasty truck every week so they bent over and took the 2+ week deal.[/quote]

No they don't!! It is only after 3 days or something like that. If you only take your 2 days you keep your truck. My neighbor driver for them and is home every weekend and he keeps his truck.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Board Regular

Is your neighbor local or regional? Unless JB changed it, he surely isn't in the OTR fleet.