User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That is one thing about asking for advice or even venting here, is we are going to tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. The situation, as presented, was you needed to be in Joplin, MO ready for orientation on Dec. 4th, "come hell or high water," missing bus drivers and weather are included. From my perspective, you just didn't want it bad enough. One of my favorite expressions is: You don't have to like it, you just have to do it. It applies in this situation.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:44 PM

Watch it Terry, she will start yelling again. :lol:
Old 12-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John
Watch it Terry, she will start yelling again. :lol:
She needs to stop yelling at us and yell at the weasel. Maybe that would get his a$$ in gear!
Old 12-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
That is one thing about asking for advice or even venting here, is we are going to tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.
People just don't understand this. They would rather berate truckers as a whole for trying to help, without sugar coating it. I mean why would he/she write this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckersBish
And I put it in big letters so maybe some of the closed minded people on here could read it and actually understand it....I was obviously wrong. It doesn't seem like some of you can read very well how do you make it in this business?
If you want advice, and yes from people who have been in a similar situation or worse, then listen don't try to degrade! :roll:
Old 12-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
It's really not that big of a deal . He just can't work for CFI right now . It's not like he can't get a job driving ,and If he still wants to drive for CFI later on down the road he still can ,as that's the one beauty of a large OTR company they are always hiring unlike factory jobs where you may only get one shot at working their when they are hiring ,as all the big OTR companies even the better ones like CFI or Crete still have massive turn over and they are always hiring . He may even decide to look into local LTL jobs as well ,and be home nightly . That's beauty of a CDL their are endless job opportunities .

However as for talking to anyone on the weekend regarding not being able to make orientation on the 4th you couldn't have spoken with recruiting as recruiting isn't in on the weekends at CFI ,and I'd be willing to bet weekend office personnel isn't any better at CFI than anywhere else in regards to knowing anything in regards to PRETTY MUCH anything . But like I said it's not like this was a one time shot ,and who knows maybe he'll find something better ,as CFI is a good company ,But their are better opportunities out there ...including local work .
Thank you! This is what we have been trying to get across to everybody. He hasn't given up on driving at all and hasn't given up on CFI either. From talking to someone at CFI they told him that he can reapply in 3 months.

And wildk9 the advice you gave was good if everybody listened to it.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Well...doesn't this just suck.

lot of specs for no experience and cant make it thru day1 may be swift find someone go evry where anytime!

Crete wouldn't take me because I don't have 5 months experience and didn't

Here's what I'm looking for, nice and simple:
1) Western or southwestern regional runs (I might be willing to do 48 state depending on the company but would prefer regional).

2) Decent equipment.

3) No more than 14 days out at a time.

4) Training program that doesn't use the student as an extra log book.

Am I now stuck with the likes of Swift and Werner after I had tried so hard to avoid them? Sheesh.[/quote]
Old 12-04-2006, 12:53 AM

truckersbish wrote
Quote:
And wildk9 the advice you gave was good if everybody listened to it.
the advice from wildk9
Quote:
If you want advice, and yes from people who have been in a similar situation or worse, then listen don't try to degrade!
TruckerBish I think he was refering to you, maybe you need to listen.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckersBish
It looks like y'all don't understand we sat in a PACKED bus station about 6 hrs with no driver in site to even take him out there and there was no promise of one being there in 2 hrs either. The bus that was going out there was filled with people who had been stuck there already over night. He did call CFI twice and they told him sorry they wont work with him anymore. CFI really has gone way beyond what they really should have done. What's done is done NOBODY really is to blame cause it isn't CFI's fault for shitty weather and it is not weasel's nor greyhounds fault. $&!+ happens ya know!
hope you dont bail if you ever sit at the warehouse all day and wait for them to call you on the cb then you still got to run alnight. you just got a lil taste
Old 12-04-2006, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member

I mean no disrespect but I think this says it all. Ironweasel wrote:

"In retrospect, I think that I may not have been cut out to do all 48 states. Just starting out, winter time, and all 48 states seems like it would be a little overwhelming. Personally, I think that I would do better starting in a regional capacity that way I'm not too horribly far from home."

Iron Weasel this is what truck driving is all about. There are upsets in every drivers life with concerns to everyday life on the road. I have driven for almost 30 yrs and still there are weeks where I ask myself why I do this!
Get used to it. What everyone is telling you is to call Monday morning, and not trust the weekend help with your future. If you want into the trucking business you cant worry about weather or being homesick! Remember this, he who hesitates is forever lost. The longer you want to baby yourself and stay closer to home and wait out the weather the more you are fooling yourself, you still have to get your feet wet. Pay your dues. Trucking is not a hard job, if you have this many worries now, you will never make it in this business!!!
I really don't like any of the big company's, they are for new drivers in my opinion, but I have talked to many CFI drivers and I think the might be the best opportunity for money and equipment for a new driver! Swift has been one of the biggest jokes in the trucking business for years now. Now jump in with both feet now, or be as much of a joke as swift is. Just my 2cents...
Old 12-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
I mean no disrespect but I think this says it all. Ironweasel wrote:

"In retrospect, I think that I may not have been cut out to do all 48 states. Just starting out, winter time, and all 48 states seems like it would be a little overwhelming. Personally, I think that I would do better starting in a regional capacity that way I'm not too horribly far from home."

Iron Weasel this is what truck driving is all about. There are upsets in every drivers life with concerns to everyday life on the road. I have driven for almost 30 yrs and still there are weeks where I ask myself why I do this!
Get used to it. What everyone is telling you is to call Monday morning, and not trust the weekend help with your future. If you want into the trucking business you cant worry about weather or being homesick! Remember this, he who hesitates is forever lost. The longer you want to baby yourself and stay closer to home and wait out the weather the more you are fooling yourself, you still have to get your feet wet. Pay your dues. Trucking is not a hard job, if you have this many worries now, you will never make it in this business!!!
I really don't like any of the big company's, they are for new drivers in my opinion, but I have talked to many CFI drivers and I think the might be the best opportunity for money and equipment for a new driver! Swift has been one of the biggest jokes in the trucking business for years now. Now jump in with both feet now, or be as much of a joke as swift is. Just my 2cents...
That pretty much says it all. But, seeing some of Truckersbish's other posts in the family section, Weasel probably needs to think of doing something else other than truck driving. I think that there is more going on here then most realize. Just my .02