User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
not trying to trivialize what happened for you but you're blowing this way out of proportion. Once you start trucking you'll find that this was nothing and you're gonna hit much worse situations than this little thing.
BIG 10-4!!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I know it's trivial, so you can trivialize it all you want,

I guess you didn't read what I said.
Just call CFI-plain and simple
Old 12-03-2006, 06:06 PM
Board Regular

If you are in Amarillo, get your butt down to the the TA or Petro truckstop and see if you can hitch a ride with a CFI driver that is going that way. Prime also has a terminal up there in Springfield MO. I am sure you must have some written proof that you are who you say you are. You know, something from CFI that you can show a driver to back up your training date with them.

You never know, you might get lucky.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Senior Board Member

CFI will work with you on this. They got hit bad with this blizzard also :!: I know I talked to them Friday and they were trying to get me to come in earlier - like Monday - because alot of out of state people were having trouble arriving Monday. So hang in there ... there's several people having the same trouble as you right now. Call them - - - they will work with you. I realize money may be a big issue right now, but if you rent a car ... they will pay 'you' the amount it was going to cost to arrive on the bus. Just get it cleared with them before you rent a car. That's what I'm going to do - - rent a car. ..... If you end up starting in the Wed. class ... I'll see ya there.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 12-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Rookie

Get with weekend dispatch ASAP.....Im sure they can find you a ride that way. I would have gotten as far as I could by bus.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Just to clarify a few things:
I never left Albuquerque, which is where I live, due to Greyhounds schedule delays and weather delays. I am at home right now typing this.

I have called CFI and got off the phone with them maybe 5 minutes ago.
The lady I talked to said they have had a lot of issues with Greyhound lately and even today they are having mass problems with people getting in for orientation.

Here's the part that excludes me. They require that you have been out of CDL training for no more than 30 days at the time that you call and apply over the phone. I was already over their 30 day requirement when I applied several weeks ago. At that point I had been out of CDL school for 33 days. Right now, it's closer to 45 - 50 days. So at this point there is nothing that CFI can do for me and I don't fault them for it.

Personally, I still have high regards for CFI because of the fact that they did work with me so well in the first place, and after I get the required 3 months of experience, I may just go back and look them up again.

But at this point, CFI is out.

I did find a local O/O company who is contracted to Swift that I think I'll try out. They DO NOT lease the trucks to you...some guy owns all the trucks and has a contract with Swift to haul exclusively for them but he runs his trucks like a "sister company" to Swift...if any of that made any sense. The company is IEL (http://ielapplication.com/index.html)
Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Super ModeratorSenior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Weasel
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Just to clarify a few things:
I never left Albuquerque, which is where I live, due to Greyhounds schedule delays and weather delays. I am at home right now typing this.

I have called CFI and got off the phone with them maybe 5 minutes ago.
The lady I talked to said they have had a lot of issues with Greyhound lately and even today they are having mass problems with people getting in for orientation.

Here's the part that excludes me. They require that you have been out of CDL training for no more than 30 days at the time that you call and apply over the phone. I was already over their 30 day requirement when I applied several weeks ago. At that point I had been out of CDL school for 33 days. Right now, it's closer to 45 - 50 days. So at this point there is nothing that CFI can do for me and I don't fault them for it.

Personally, I still have high regards for CFI because of the fact that they did work with me so well in the first place, and after I get the required 3 months of experience, I may just go back and look them up again.

But at this point, CFI is out.

I did find a local O/O company who is contracted to Swift that I think I'll try out. They DO NOT lease the trucks to you...some guy owns all the trucks and has a contract with Swift to haul exclusively for them but he runs his trucks like a "sister company" to Swift...if any of that made any sense. The company is IEL (http://ielapplication.com/index.html)
Why do you keep insisting that CFI is out unless you just don't want to work there?

I've been in recruiting before and things like this can happen and variances can be made for things beyond your control. However, it would have looked better to CFI as a good faith gesture for you to have gotten on the bus and then called them Monday morning with your updated status rather than to just bail on it.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Rookie

They are out as an option until such time that I have a minimum of 3 months experience since I no longer meet their "student" driver requirement.

And yes, I realize that it would reflect better on me had I waited out whatever delays were present, but I had what my recruiter had said in the back of my mind the whole time. If I miss orientation on Dec. 4th, then I am no longer eligible to work at CFI.

I'm not blaming CFI or Greyhound for me not being there...that's my fault and as such, I have to deal with the consequences..which I am. Looking for a less desirable company to work for.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Rookie

It looks like y'all don't understand we sat in a PACKED bus station about 6 hrs with no driver in site to even take him out there and there was no promise of one being there in 2 hrs either. The bus that was going out there was filled with people who had been stuck there already over night. He did call CFI twice and they told him sorry they wont work with him anymore. CFI really has gone way beyond what they really should have done. What's done is done NOBODY really is to blame cause it isn't CFI's fault for shitty weather and it is not weasel's nor greyhounds fault. Shit happens ya know!
Old 12-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Weasel
They are out as an option until such time that I have a minimum of 3 months experience since I no longer meet their "student" driver requirement.

And yes, I realize that it would reflect better on me had I waited out whatever delays were present, but I had what my recruiter had said in the back of my mind the whole time. If I miss orientation on Dec. 4th, then I am no longer eligible to work at CFI.

I'm not blaming CFI or Greyhound for me not being there...that's my fault and as such, I have to deal with the consequences..which I am. Looking for a less desirable company to work for.
it's about 800 miles from Albuquerque NM to Joplin ,MO ...at 40 mph that's 20 hrs of drive time if you were on a bus now you would most like likely be in Joplin by late afternoon on the 4Th even with the delays ,but if you were on the bus when when you first had the chance your Chance would be even better . Yes there was a chance you would not have made it,But by not getting on the bus you remove all possibilities of getting there .