User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ? Restricted Engine Breaks ?

Ok .. Black and white sign "Engine Brakes Prohibited" I can understand that. "Unmuffled Engine Brakes Restricted" I can assume they mean that unmuffled engine brakes have some sort of restriction that I will know more when the officer cites me :lol:

First what is the difference between the keyword "Prohibited" which is very clear and the keyword "Restricted"? What does "Engine Brakes Restricted next 'X' miles" mean as compared to an absoutely clear use of the word prohibited? Does this indicate that in fact Engine Brakes are prohibited? Does Restrcited here have an unwritten meaning that only muffled engine brakes are allowed although this is not stated?

You might think this is a stupid question, but I asked three of Utah's finest about the sign in St George and I got three somewhat different answers ranging from "if you have to use them do otherwise use your brakes" to "If you use them I will write you up .."

OK somebody with some experiences in Utah might chime in ....
Old 12-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: ? Restricted Engine Breaks ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackaces
Ok .. Black and white sign "Engine Brakes Prohibited" I can understand that. "Unmuffled Engine Brakes Restricted" I can assume they mean that unmuffled engine brakes have some sort of restriction that I will know more when the officer cites me :lol:

First what is the difference between the keyword "Prohibited" which is very clear and the keyword "Restricted"? What does "Engine Brakes Restricted next 'X' miles" mean as compared to an absoutely clear use of the word prohibited? Does this indicate that in fact Engine Brakes are prohibited? Does Restrcited here have an unwritten meaning that only muffled engine brakes are allowed although this is not stated?

You might think this is a stupid question, but I asked three of Utah's finest about the sign in St George and I got three somewhat different answers ranging from "if you have to use them do otherwise use your brakes" to "If you use them I will write you up .."

OK somebody with some experiences in Utah might chime in ....
They want you to get a copy of the local ordinance, read it, understand it? and comply. You have to do that with each town you drive through. Remember, ignorance is no excuse under the law.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Board Regular

Most of the ordinances were passed due to clowns with the loud pipes jake braking at every light. Why do you think you need a jake brake running through town? Are there steep mountain grades in the town, or have you recentyly had your training wheels taken off and still not comprehended everything yet? The same ones who think it is cool to run the jake at every red light must be the same ones with the fag lights on on clear nights.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Restricted Engine Brakes

They're telling you not to use your Jake Brakes or asking "How deep are your pockets?" And it isn't just St George, also Richland Center, Wi. and the westbound I-40 downgrade in ABQ NM., among others. BOL
Old 12-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Senior Board Member

on most of the century class and volvo's you can barley hear the engine brake those laws were put in place because people were just using them for no reason with over size pipes in the middle of the night waking up all the people who have a normal life and making them mad
Old 12-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Rookie

Loud pipes and fag lights,.......no wonder the gay community is up in arms.
Its one thing to scare em',...but do you have to shine the lights on them as well. :sad:
Old 12-03-2006, 03:25 AM

or those supertruckers that need to use their jakes in a truckstop at 3am. no friggin need for it
Old 12-03-2006, 05:40 AM
Board Regular

I use mine "when needed", like in Albaturkey, sign or no sign. I can barely hear my jakes when in use, 6 stage, I usually look to see if it is even on. That is how quiet it is on the Volvos.

And as others have said, the goofs with the straight pipes are the ones that caused the signs to pop up. I swear some of them would start an avalnche in some snowy regions, they are that loud.

And we do not use them in the truck stops or bouncing through town. And we keep the fog lights off. Fog lights, they are for FOGGY CONDITIONS! I hate those things on a clear night. Instant headache waiting in the mirror.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Well I did my research and found out something interesting (to me). In municipalities that use the word "Restricted" their anti engine-brake ordinances include exceptions for fire trucks and other heavy public-service use vehicles. Those using the word "Prohibited" do not include such exceptions.

Now this does not include the use of the word "Restricted" in terms of unmuffled engine brakes such as the state law of Colorado. This is an entirely different context.

The final word .... Restricted or Prohibited .. it is a fine ..