User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 11:25 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Not that much is going to change in an atlas in a year.

That is true
Old 11-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Board Regular
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

ok, now that I haveth the atlas... is there a good way of starting to familiarize yourself with it? Is there any difference to using this atlas compared to a regular map/atlas? I'm no noob to geography... I just love to ask Q's... 8)
Old 11-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyNextDoor
ok, now that I haveth the atlas... is there a good way of starting to familiarize yourself with it? Is there any difference to using this atlas compared to a regular map/atlas? I'm no noob to geography... I just love to ask Q's... 8)
Well... the first, obvious, difference is the spiral binding... so you can fold it back and read it while you're doing 70 mph down the road! :shock: :lol:

Next obvious thing is that the truck routes are highlighted in orange. If you see a road that looks good, but the highlight runs out for a few miles, that usually means NO 53 footers allowed! There WILL be a county mounty waiting at the bottom of the hill to give you a ticket for being there! :evil:

Now... you say you're no newbie to geography, so I shouldn't have to tell you to STUDY the blowups of the cities.

And I guess you already know about the interstate numbering system and the opposite method of numbering U.S. Highways?

But the REAL goodies are in the first 20 pages or so. Bridge laws, weight restrictions, restricted roads/highways, etc.

These are not found in regular atlases.

And of course, don't forget the "relief" features that show where the mountains and foothills are. Foothills are more prone to icing than either mountains OR lowlands. There are elevation marks for many areas.

And of course, there are mileages and time estimates in the back, and sometimes on each page. But then.... you knew THAT! :wink:

If you have gps on your laptop, you don't NEED any of these "rudimentary" map reading skills.... but if not, you might find this link handy for trip planning:

http://etrucker.truckmiles.com

Reading and understanding an atlas is both an art and a skill. In today's world, it is not necessary if you want to be a "steeringwheelholder" but it CAN be useful if you want to be a trucker.

BOL2U!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:56 AM
Board Regular

Thank you for your reply... I'll plan my trips on the MCRA, and do all the calculations, and "scale detours" if necessery on streets and trips... I do have a laptop, and would not go anywhere new without it (GPS)

i was even thinking of buying a truckstop guide, and restare guide, and start building a database importable into streets and trips... something to kill time with on those 10/36 rest stops... :lol:

Any thought on that?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:21 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyNextDoor
Thank you for your reply... I'll plan my trips on the MCRA, and do all the calculations, and "scale detours" if necessery on streets and trips... I do have a laptop, and would not go anywhere new without it (GPS)

i was even thinking of buying a truckstop guide, and restare guide, and start building a database importable into streets and trips... something to kill time with on those 10/36 rest stops... :lol:

Any thought on that?
Well... since I don't have a laptop, or a gps program, I'm not sure what MCRA is. I've heard it mentioned here before, but I don't pay attention to those things. :lol:

Did you mean to say a restaurant guide? If so, that and a truckstop guide would be useful, especially if you can integrate them into your system. I use a $5 truckstop guide to tell me where they are. And I have a $12 dollar version of "Trucker's Friend" to tell me what services and amenities each has, as well as their phone numbers and fax numbers (which I use often.) Also, there is a book called "The Next Exit" that tells all the shops/stores/walmarts etc at each exit, and highlights in RED all places that have truck parking. ($16 at Flying J's) This is usefull to a point, but remember that anything within 5 miles or so OFF that exit will be listed!

As for "scale detours," I wouldn't count on them. Often the DOT boys sit and wait for you there. Remember, THEY are not stupid and know where truckers go to avoid the scales, AND why they might do so! Instead, make sure your company loads you LEGAL and your equipment will pass inspection!

Run your logs legal.... or at least make them LOOK that way! :lol: And don't waste time avoiding scales. If you have PREPASS, you bypass most of them anyway, and if not, many of them are closed! If open, and you are say, 2000 lbs under max, you'll probably get the bypass lane anyway.

I hope this info helps you. If you have more questions, just ask. If "I" don't know everything.... I'm sure the REV does! :lol:

[Don't take that the way it sounds. I'm just havin' a bit of fun, here.]

Who you gonna drive for? Tell us more about you.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.