User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default LTL info

Hello,

Been on this board for a year now. Been driving for almost a year (would of had my year if i did not quit but thats besides the point, I have Approx 10 months.) Anyways, my original game plan at driving was to get my license, drive for an OTR company that treated me decent get my year in and then when I get close to my year get my Hazmat endosement so I can start looking for maybe an LTL comapny or a local gig.

So I went back and started reading lots of previous posts from guys and gals who have for worked for these LTL companies, Yellow, ABF, Conway etc...

I was wondering how often it is that these companies lay you off? What the pay difference is compared to an OTR company? Are you home everynight? Do you work fulltime? Do you drive at nights alot? I also understand these companies have what is called casual driving, do you make a living on this (gross of say 800-1000 week).

So Im waiting for background check to come back for the Hazmat (not really concerned about it) so i should get it. Is working for an LTL company really that much better? I had a job offer for hauling gasoline about 2 months ago but obviously I didnt have my Hazmat so the conversation didnt go any farther. Would I be better maybe hauling gasoline for .38cpm and 13 dollars per hour (goes to 18.00 after a year and .42cpm.) The job pays hourly and mileage.

So thats the questions, looking for some real good feedback here. If you dont have something positive to say, do not answer please and please lets not turn this into a hijacked post. Looking for real answers from people who are currently doing these things or have considerable knowledge and understand where and what I am looking for.

Thanks for everyone who posts. Sorry if it sounds cocky but some posts get way out of hand here.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Go with the gasoline job. One of the laziest guys I know is hauling gasoline now and is actually happy. That says a lot (you have to know this guy). Most of the LTL outfits are Union, which means you will be lowest in seniority and will struggle through time until you get more seniority. If you are single and have no dependents then go for the union job. If you need to feed the family then get your HM and tanker and go deliver gasoline.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:57 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Takes a Different Breed to run LTL but different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:32 AM

Are you going to be delivering fuel locally and home everyday. If you are local and getting hourly plus mileage, that would be a good deal and you will make good money. I haul gas locally now, but we just get paid by the hour. I have never heard of hourly plus mileage.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Rookie

I work for old dominion(ltl). Been there six months. OD is not union. So no worry about layoffs. I work the exta board as it is called.(often referred to as the wild board) Since I am new I am at the bottom of the seniority list. Basicly I am on call all the time and you can work the board to your benefit but when freight is slow you tend to go out at different times. Sometimes I go out during the day say 12-5 pm then sometimes I may go out at 2am. The time really varies.The extra board can be tough but the rewards are well worth it in th elong run. Drivers with seniority do all meet and turns ,home every night. Typically drive out 250 miles meet another driver swap trailors and then 250 miles back to home terminal. Home every night/day depending on when your scheduled run is day or night(again seniority comes in to play)

OD is a good company and you can make good money. Honestly you can make a steady(clear not gross) 800.00 a week. This being based on 6 dispatches.(6 day work week) Each dispatch basicly takes one day to complete. You never have to run illegal 500-600 miles a day sometimes 600 plus if you feel you can do it in the 11/14 hour rule. Not saying you have to work 14 hours a day here..just pointing out u can run a few extra miles if time allows. OD is pretty laid back they dont mess with you and tend to try and look out for their drivers.

As far as hometime goes...its better than long haul by leaps and bounds. Depends on the terminal and location but I started fresh out of school and I average 1-2 days out at a time. Return to my home terminal take my 10 hrs at home with the family then I go back out for 1-2 more days then off 48hrs.(at home with family..they never leave you out on the road to take your 48 off in a motel) You dont sleep in the truck you are put up in a motel.(paid for by OD) All runs are terminal to terminal(100% drop and hook). We pull all doubles no 48 or 53 footers. The local drivers haul those in the city. All local drivers are hired from inside(to my understanding)

I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
What the pay difference is compared to an OTR company?
Put it to you like this: I punched out at 5:00 PM today and tomorrow and Friday I get paid 8 hours per day at over $21.00/hr to sit at home and drink beer and watch football. Saturday and Sunday are like a regular weekend so it's basically a 4-day mini-vacation. If I did have to work on Friday, I'd be paid O.T. ($31.50/hr) for every hour on the job.

That's a heckuva deal that you won't find anywhere in OTR. An OTR driver MIGHT get a whopping $50.00 or $60.00 for Thansgiving day, but that's about it. And 4 days off after only working 3 days? Forgedeboudit! Just ain't happening.

k9219 speaks the truth. You can turn a good buck in LTL and have a life outside of and away from the truck. That can't be said about OTR where you waste too many hours tryin' to make money at loading docks while everyone in the warehouse dicks around at your expense. Then good luck finding a place to sleep at 9:00 PM when the consignee boots you off the lot and all the truckstops and pickleparks are filled to the brim. Ugh...been there, done that. I ran the road pulling vans/reefer for awhile but grew tired of that racket. Too many hours on the job. Too much time away from home. Way too many freebies.

Whatever your choice, the world is your oyster and we wish you nothing but the best!
Old 11-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
Put it to you like this: I punched out at 5:00 PM today and tomorrow and Friday I get paid 8 hours per day at over $21.00/hr to sit at home and drink beer and watch football. Saturday and Sunday are like a regular weekend so it's basically a 4-day mini-vacation. If I did have to work on Friday, I'd be paid O.T. ($31.50/hr) for every hour on the job.

That's a heckuva deal that you won't find anywhere in OTR. An OTR driver MIGHT get a whopping $50.00 or $60.00 for Thansgiving day, but that's about it. And 4 days off after only working 3 days? Forgedeboudit! Just ain't happening.

k9219 speaks the truth. You can turn a good buck in LTL and have a life outside of and away from the truck. That can't be said about OTR where you waste too many hours tryin' to make money at loading docks while everyone in the warehouse dicks around at your expense. Then good luck finding a place to sleep at 9:00 PM when the consignee boots you off the lot and all the truckstops and pickleparks are filled to the brim. Ugh...been there, done that. I ran the road pulling vans/reefer for awhile but grew tired of that racket. Too many hours on the job. Too much time away from home. Way too many freebies.

Whatever your choice, the world is your oyster and we wish you nothing but the best!
What outfit are you with again?

Oh to the original poster, don't forget food service/convenience store distributors either! Hard work but keeps you in shape, usually pay pretty decent also.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Oh to the original poster, don't forget food service/convenience store distributors either! Hard work but keeps you in shape, usually pay pretty decent also.
I work for a foodservice company and YES, IT IS HARD WORK, but can be very rewarding (home every night, weekends off, good pay)

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 11-23-2006, 03:36 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
I work for a foodservice company and YES, IT IS HARD WORK, but can be very rewarding (home every night, weekends off, good pay)
I've lost over 40 lbs since I started running up and down the ramp. I'm a young guy though, eventually I'm sure I'll need to find something less physical. For now it is fun though. Every weekend off, home most nights. I am out of town by choice though, pay is better on most of the layover routes. No big deal though.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:

But you didn't say who you work for!