User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Most local gigs are head and shoulders above OTR in terms of work/life balance.

The first few years in LTL can be tough; it can be a while depending on the dynamics of your terminal can company before you have a predictable schedule. Fate smiled upon me and I got a start time about three months after getting my CDL this April It took the other guy in my class until mid-Oct to get a night line bid.

I'm making a steady $750-800 week (gross) with a bit of OT. If I wanted to make more money I could volunteer for Sat line runs, but I have low overhead and enjoy my time off.

Any fuel tanker drivers on here? It would be nice to have a report pasture conditions on the other side of the proverbial fence.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams

The first few years in LTL can be tough; it can be a while depending on the dynamics of your terminal can company before you have a predictable schedule. Fate smiled upon me and I got a start time about three months after getting my CDL this April It took the other guy in my class until mid-Oct to get a night line bid.

I'm making a steady $750-800 week (gross) with a bit of OT. If I wanted to make more money I could volunteer for Sat line runs, but I have low overhead and enjoy my time off.

Any fuel tanker drivers on here? It would be nice to have a report pasture conditions on the other side of the proverbial fence.
That would be me. What would you like to know. I can sum it up pretty easily though-Good pay-terrible hours at least for now.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:40 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I am out of town by choice though, pay is better on most of the layover routes
They do pay better at my company too. Use to do the regional routes but now I need to be home every night.(wife has baby on the way, any week now )

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 11-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracert99
But you didn't say who you work for!
And nor will I. Suffice to say that I pull for one of the larger companies in the known LTL universe. Most of the LTL's have a similar holiday deal going for their drivers. Ditto for the parcel carriers such as UPS, FedEx Express, and DHL.

I won't post who I work for on a messageboard as I've read about several guys getting themselves in hot water at work for stuff they posted. Don't need that kinda gruff as I've got alot of time and seniority wrapped up in this gig. And I want to keep it for the long haul.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
I am out of town by choice though, pay is better on most of the layover routes
They do pay better at my company too. Use to do the regional routes but now I need to be home every night.(wife has baby on the way, any week now )
Congrats!
Old 11-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamster
Quote:

That would be me. What would you like to know. I can sum it up pretty easily though-Good pay-terrible hours at least for now.
I've been slightly interested in fuel tankers as well. Though I don't know how I feel about driving down the highway with a giant bomb strapped to my back (figuratively).
Old 12-09-2006, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Oh to the original poster, don't forget food service/convenience store distributors either! Hard work but keeps you in shape, usually pay pretty decent also.
Its not too bad once you get used to it. I ran OTR (CFI) for 7 months then found a local gig "workin the ramp" in food service delivery. I sleep in my bed every night and I'm off every weekend.

Pay averages about $700 gross a week and where I live thats pretty damn good. The bigger companies in Nashville (too far away for me to drive every day) pay around $800 to $1200 a week gross.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:59 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigidsporty
Quote:
Oh to the original poster, don't forget food service/convenience store distributors either! Hard work but keeps you in shape, usually pay pretty decent also.
Its not too bad once you get used to it. I ran OTR (CFI) for 7 months then found a local gig "workin the ramp" in food service delivery. I sleep in my bed every night and I'm off every weekend.

Pay averages about $700 gross a week and where I live thats pretty damn good. The bigger companies in Nashville (too far away for me to drive every day) pay around $800 to $1200 a week gross.
Yeah I think it is fun when you get used to it. Good to keep busy. The first couple months were hell though. I'm glad I stuck with it.

OTR boys think they have "hot loads" and are under the gun in terms of schedule... I've had times where every second literally counts and you are literally running all day at each stop.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
OTR boys think they have "hot loads" and are under the gun in terms of schedule.
You got that right!! I've had days where I was literally running up and down the ramp with the only "break" I had was driving to the next stop... and I still ended up working 14 hours.

I have an easy Friday though... I get in the truck at 04:30 and I'm usually done with my last stop and on my way back around noon.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Board Regular

After about a year and a half after I got my license I started driving fuel tankers. It's a good job and pays well. I'm based with a non-union outfit which is good for now. Getting experience. Make anywhere from 23-26 per hour. The top guys around my neck of the woods make anywhere from 28-31 bucks an hour, they are the union guys Most drivers around here run a 4on/4off shift, working about 12hrs at a time. By the end of your 4on you are looking forward to those 4off. Dealing with fuel is intimidating but you respect the job and do things by the book you should do fine. A big thing is though making mistakes. I've made one and it was costly, I mixed fuels and the company had to buy the fuel that I mixed. Be always checking and double checking Anyways, that's all I got for now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamster
Quote:

I've been slightly interested in fuel tankers as well. Though I don't know how I feel about driving down the highway with a giant bomb strapped to my back (figuratively).