User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I drive long haul at 22. My company told me they were hesistant about my age at first but they gave me a shot anyway (I already had my license), and it turned out they were fine with it. I'm not sure what it means for their insurance, though. I'm also pretty happy with them, im paid well and best of all I feel like I'm treated with complete respect even though some people are quite literally 3 times my age. :shock:

If you are serious about it, just call around to different companies and ask. Also, driving schools might be able to tell you if they know any companies that hire at 21, since they probably have dealt with that before.

ps. to the above post about smaller carriers... my company only has a couple dozen trucks total, most being O/O, so definitely don't count out the smaller carriers.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Senior Board Member

EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE!!! Driving a truck isn't like driving a car, so once you get the experience that someone decided was about 5yrs after getting your liscense at 16 normally, then you have enough time under your belt to get into a truck. Also it gives some, not all, people time to grow up, (mature), a little bit. Now when people ask me how I drive a truck in traffic and bad weather and such, I tell them it's just like driving a car to me because I have quite a bit experience in both and I'm just as comfortable in one as I am in the other. Just my .02 worth.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:20 PM

I know experience is important, but getting the experience seems to be the problem. No wonder there is such a shortage of drivers out there, no one will take a chance to train a potential young driver at age 21. You can't tell me you can be old enough to die for your country at age 18 but you are still not old enough to drive a truck. That is just rediculous.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Board Regular

It's 18 to drive in canada, but most long haul companies want 21 or older. Kinda sucks, but i started driving local when i was 18 and been driving ever since, i'm almost 22 now.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slol
I drive long haul at 22. My company told me they were hesistant about my age at first but they gave me a shot anyway (I already had my license), and it turned out they were fine with it. I'm not sure what it means for their insurance, though. I'm also pretty happy with them, im paid well and best of all I feel like I'm treated with complete respect even though some people are quite literally 3 times my age. :shock:
Good point Slol! I started as an o/o at 22 and United was VERY hesitant to qualify me. They took a chance that paid off too
Old 11-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
I might as well forget about it then, I'm only going to be 21.
Never gonna get anywhere with that attitude :wink: Plenty of companies hire 21 year olds, but by "plenty" I definitely do not mean the majority. Take a look at the jobs here on CAD and you can compare them in ascedning order pay/min age/felonies/etc.

Don't give up, unless you don't wanna drive an 18 wheeler. Where theres a will, theres a way!
Old 11-20-2006, 10:55 PM
Senior Board Member

I got my class A at 18. Driven ever since. I was driving tri axles dumps with tag along trailers. My dad is a O/O he had to put in some good words for me to get the job i had. I just turn 23 two weeks ago and still driven. I think that 21 stuff is all BS. At 18 you have to pass the same test to get your class A as some one who is 21 or 35. So why cant you do what they can at 18?

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-20-2006, 11:23 PM

mackman, I agree with you completely. You make good points. I don't think you become THAT much more responsible from age 18 to 21, at least not enough that you could drive a rig at 21 but not 18. As long as you can pass the CDL tests and demonstrate you can safely drive a rig, you should only have to be 18 to be hired and drive interstate. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
Old 11-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
mackman, I agree with you completely. You make good points. I don't think you become THAT much more responsible from age 18 to 21, at least not enough that you could drive a rig at 21 but not 18. As long as you can pass the CDL tests and demonstrate you can safely drive a rig, you should only have to be 18 to be hired and drive interstate. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
I think the same way you do but i had to do my time like your going to have to do. It sucks but just cuzs its a law doesn't make it right. By the way if you do get a driving job don't go out of state i live in PA and went to MD got stop by DOT got 1200 fine and put me OOS. Had to get another driver to come get the truck. Lucky i want to court and the cop never showed up so i didn't have to pay the fine.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-20-2006, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I grew up a lot between 18 and 21. Some people don't have the ability to encounter a lot of "adult" situations by by 18,19, or even 20. Other, however have, and may be more mature, responsible, and educated.

However, I think anyone in the army should be able to drink at 18 if they are willing to put their life on the line (as stated farrr above) 8)