User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 12:34 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I had a couple of carriers to tell me the main reason they take so long with orientation is because of the drug test results. Some require hazmat and will have you sit through a film and take a hazmat test. Others may do the same thing with safety. I think you will find it more with larger carriers than smaller ones. It isn't nearly as difficult to set up a single driver or two with a truck, as it is when you have 20 or 30 drivers and trucks to put together. I can tell a driver everything I need him to know and give him what he needs in a few hours. I will already have him checked out before we get to that point. Some carriers don't start actually checking out references until the driver gets to orientation. It is my understanding that these carriers also have a lot of no shows at orientation, so there is no need to spend their resources getting a driver qualified until they are sure he is in orientation. It is expensive qualifying a driver and checking references. No company wants to waste their resources. At the same time, I think 4 days is a bit long for orientation, especially when you aren't usually paid for your time. How many trucks and drivers did the company you went with have, dollarshort?
Old 11-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Rev, most of the larger carriers do have orientation. I don't really have an orientation, but I am a smaller carrier and don't have the large number of recruits to check out.
Those "larger carriers" that you are speaking of are a small percentage of the total trucking companies in existance.

Quote:
And by the way, I am not talking about a driver not getting paid for work performed. I am talking about a gap in pay from the time he leaves his old company until he gets his first paycheck from the new company.
And that driver should still receive AT LEAST one paycheck AFTER he has left the company, which should take care of this "gap" that you are referring to.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Just to add a thought to what you have mentioned, G-Man!!

BTW; A First Class Thread you initiated here!!

I've seen so many guys get fed up and pissed off with their job situation, that they just jump from one frying pan into another one, or sometimes, directly into the flames!!

I think that if more drivers would focus more upon their personal priorities, and take an honest look at the trade-offs that sometimes accompany them (Ex.: cents per mile vs. home time) then they would make better decisions when it came time to make a move.

The grass IS always greener......until it's time to mow!!
Old 11-20-2006, 02:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
Just to add a thought to what you have mantioned, G-Man!!

BTW; A First Class Thread you initiated here!!!!

I am glad you like it, Useless. Add all the thoughts you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless

The grass IS always greener......until it's time to mow!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerian
You may not loose 3 weeks pay, but rest assured you will loose about 5 days as orientation is unpaid.
Many companies pay for orientation. Hell, Schneider even pays $500 for orientation for o/o, for example. :wink: I'd recheck your sources, as many companies promote that as an incentive in their recruiting. Some even supply the food and motel fees.

Either way, a company driver that can't go a week or two without pay has personal financial issues. Sometimes the risks that pay the most, have the most risk

We all point rigs down the road and get freight places. I kiss ass and lump dressers, some have to tie down steel coils in the freezing snow, and some have to wait for days at grocery warehouses :lol: I think its healthy to get settled at a company you like, even if it takes a few tries. Jumping ship isn't the way to handle this, but I think 2-3 months is enough time for a driver to evaluate whether or not he/she would like to maintain and employee/employer relationship with that carrier

Additionally, I never quit a job without another one lined up so I can always put in my 2 weeks and use them as a recommendation/resume. I did my pee test for United while on the Road with Allied. Some of these companies speed it up when they want to it seems
Old 11-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member

My only experience changing OTR jobs was seamless, as far as I was concerned.

Fired on Wednesday (tee hee), took Thursday off, interviewed and accepted offer at new job on Friday, started orientation Monday, finished Wednesday, left Thursday on my first load.

The last check from old job was short because the last week was not a full one. The same for the new job. So, full check, fired & short check in the same week, starting at new job & no check, full check. Could have been worse, I guess.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Senior Board Member

My first job was 1500 miles away. I'm sure traveling to and from orientation, plus a dead weekend would really hurt the pocketbook.

For an o/o, its a headache switching carriers sometimes. Getting plates/permits, and getting qualified can either be simple as pie or require hours of aggrivation and phone calls to sapw insurance, etc and fixing clerical errors :roll:
Old 11-21-2006, 03:33 AM
Default Re: The Grass is Greener

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
I was talking to a driver a few days ago and the subject of drivers switching jobs came up. Drivers seem to change jobs for a penny a mile or some other small benefit. Most don't realize that they will lose at least 2-3 weeks wages when they make a change. If you drive 100,000 miles and make an additional penny per mile, that is $1,000 per year in additional wages. However, if you make $800/wk and lose 3 weeks wages you have actually made about $1,400 less for the year. :shock:

I think another reason some drivers leave carriers is due to personality conflicts with their dispatchers or driver managers. They get mad and quit without having thought their decision out. Most problems can be solved by talking it out. If you have a problem with a dispatcher and you can't seem to work things out, go to his supervisor and ask for another dispatcher. Just keep going up the ladder until you find a solution. Sometimes it is the person in the mirror who has the problem. We all have bad days. It is how we handle those bad days that makes the difference.

It is in the companies best interest to retain good drivers. Moving around is bad for the driver and company. It is expensive to constantly recruit new drivers. There are some carrier's who seem to not care about their people, but I think a good attitude can make a world of difference.

The grass is usually not greener at the next company. Constantly moving around can have a heavy cost in lost income for both the company and driver. :?
Good post and I agree :wink: I started to get into that moving around thing and quickly realized its not good, especially for a newer driver.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:46 AM
Rookie

This is exactly why I've been doing research on companies, schools, company schools, etcetera for the past two weeks. I was told by a relative in the industry that it looks really bad on your resume to jump around. Especially if you're looking to get on with a top notch company.

By the way, could you folks point me in the right direction? Looking for yet more information on the best company to start my CDL A career with. I'm not trying to be lazy either, I'm just exhausted from searching other forums, company websites, talking with recruiters and people I know in the industry, etc. I need to make a choice and have not yet come to a conclusion.
Even if you just point me to some good threads...
Much appreciated.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:41 PM
Board Regular

I'm also still doing my research. But if the carrier I choose to begin my career with...leaning towards Millis Transfer...fits my needs and treats me good, I will do the best job that I possibly can and stay there a very long time. I'm not fond of job hoping to begin with...i've been with GM for almost 30 years. But being new, you have to start somewhere and work your way up. And IMO, the best way to do that is to do your homework, and pick the company that fits your needs the best and stick with them. I realize that you have to put up with some crap with whichever company you choose, but also, a little manure makes the garden greener :wink: