User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default winter conditions

okay all you old timers....this will be my first winter driving a big rig . I have a few questions for you fine folks. I have been issued an extension cord to plug my truck in when I park it for the weekend at the shop. Why am I plugging my truck in? Also, the company I drive for does not go to far west of the Mississippi River, but does go to New England. What do I need to do to keep the fuel system flowing freely. The maintenance shop manager said to just add some fuel additive when fueling up. He did not say how much to add. All your advice and comments will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member

theres some stuff available at the truckstops, they have instructions...I dont think you need to worry about fuel gelling unless it gets below, said 15 and you fueled in warmer regions where fuelmixtured are not set for single digits... Up North you can also buy Diesel No.1 wich is mixed for very low temps...I do not know what to reccommned for what temp, sorry...Im no expert being from the south, but noone answered, so i did....
Old 11-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: winter conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayhair
okay all you old timers....this will be my first winter driving a big rig . I have a few questions for you fine folks. I have been issued an extension cord to plug my truck in when I park it for the weekend at the shop. Why am I plugging my truck in? Also, the company I drive for does not go to far west of the Mississippi River, but does go to New England. What do I need to do to keep the fuel system flowing freely. The maintenance shop manager said to just add some fuel additive when fueling up. He did not say how much to add. All your advice and comments will be greatly appreciated.
The purpose of plugging the truck in is so it starts :-) large disel engines WILL NOT start if they get too cold, probably in the 10-20 degree range or below it is a good idea to plug it in. The plug in is for the EDIT: block heater. (just like for cars!)

I run exclusively up in the cold northern areas and I have always used #2 disel with no additives, even when it got down to -20 last year the engine never had a problem.

Well, it did gel up once but that was because I had a number of stops back to back and our company won't let us idle the trucks at stops since it wastes fuel. I tried to idle as much as I could without violating the idle time rules, but alas it stalled (right in an intersection too). Managed to get it started and after running at high rpm on the freeway for awhile it all cleared up.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Senior Board Member

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 11-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLT
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What?? :lol:
Old 11-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most people buy fuel in the region where they are running in winter. The fuel is blended for the region, so that jelling should not be a problem. I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol with me in case of an emergency. They do make additives you can pour into the tanks. I never use them and I haven't had a problem in years. Rubbing alcohol works just as well and costs less than $1/bottle.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member

I've never seen a tank heater, sorry for laughing. Our trucks come factory equipped with block heaters and oil pan heaters. Cars come with block heaters that fit in frost plug holes. No tank heaters in cars, not even down there. I would think anywhere it gets cold, they would sell winter diesel. That's why Deus hasn't had too many problems at -20. Draining your air tanks, and adding air brake antifreeze at the compressor would be a good idea. If you have a air drier, I would recommend changing the element, filter. HAVE A GOOD WINTER P.S. Do your chains fit?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

When the mercury drops below 30 degrees, PLUG 'ER IN...

Keeping the engine warmer is much easier on the engine, starter, and batteries. As to the additive, I keep a bottle of "9-1-1 with me at all times when snow is in the air. If you're going to be in northern climates, on your last fueling before you shut the truck down, put the additive in. There are several that work. I also keep a couple of bottles of MELT-DOWN in case the additive didn't do it's thing right. I've seen -30 in MASS. And I know of trucks that gelled up in weather like that. Little that is less convenient than to have the truck shut down on you when the temps outside are below zero. Keep in handy, but don't be afraid to 'rotate your stock."

Old 11-12-2006, 01:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: winter conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayhair
The purpose of plugging the truck in is so it starts :-) large disel engines WILL NOT start if they get too cold, probably in the 10-20 degree range or below it is a good idea to plug it in. The plug in is for the tank heater. (just like for cars!)

I run exclusively up in the cold northern areas and I have always used #2 disel with no additives, even when it got down to -20 last year the engine never had a problem.

Well, it did gel up once but that was because I had a number of stops back to back and our company won't let us idle the trucks at stops since it wastes fuel. I tried to idle as much as I could without violating the idle time rules, but alas it stalled (right in an intersection too). Managed to get it started and after running at high rpm on the freeway for awhile it all cleared up.
Its not a tank heater its a block heater! to keep the engine oil warm!!
Old 11-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLT
I've never seen a tank heater, sorry for laughing. Our trucks come factory equipped with block heaters and oil pan heaters. Cars come with block heaters that fit in frost plug holes. No tank heaters in cars, not even down there. I would think anywhere it gets cold, they would sell winter diesel. That's why Deus hasn't had too many problems at -20. Draining your air tanks, and adding air brake antifreeze at the compressor would be a good idea. If you have a air drier, I would recommend changing the element, filter. HAVE A GOOD WINTER P.S. Do your chains fit?
Yeah obviously I get diesel in winter areas so it is properly formulated, I was just saying that I've never needed additive.

I'm not a mechanic, so I guess I meant to say block heater :-)

I run mostly north dakota so no chains, no steep grades.

I'm not sure what our leasing company does to prep the trucks for winter in terms of air brake antifreeze and such. They don't let us touch the trucks really, in fact our company doesn't even have gallons of oil! Oddly enough our trucks have not once failed a DOT inspection though, so I guess our leasing company does a good job at maintaining them.

Oh and yes I'll have a good winter. I do convienence store distribution so I get to spend all day in the -20. On the upside, our trailers are reefers set at 35 in the main compartment, which feels nice and toasty warm in the winter :-)