Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: winter conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayhair
okay all you old timers....this will be my first winter driving a big rig . I have a few questions for you fine folks. I have been issued an extension cord to plug my truck in when I park it for the weekend at the shop. Why am I plugging my truck in? Also, the company I drive for does not go to far west of the Mississippi River, but does go to New England. What do I need to do to keep the fuel system flowing freely. The maintenance shop manager said to just add some fuel additive when fueling up. He did not say how much to add. All your advice and comments will be greatly appreciated.
The purpose of plugging the truck in is so it starts :-) large disel engines WILL NOT start if they get too cold, probably in the 10-20 degree range or below it is a good idea to plug it in. The plug in is for the tank heater. (just like for cars!)

I run exclusively up in the cold northern areas and I have always used #2 disel with no additives, even when it got down to -20 last year the engine never had a problem.

Well, it did gel up once but that was because I had a number of stops back to back and our company won't let us idle the trucks at stops since it wastes fuel. I tried to idle as much as I could without violating the idle time rules, but alas it stalled (right in an intersection too). Managed to get it started and after running at high rpm on the freeway for awhile it all cleared up.
Its not a tank heater its a block heater! to keep the engine oil warm!!
Yeah my mistake, sorry!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Block heaters help keep the engine block warm so you can get her cranked easier, tank heater heat the fuel, so it doesnt gel.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:52 PM

Most engines have a "high idle" so you can park and sleep when its 20* with a wind chill of -20. It circulates the fuel, keeps it from gelling. I failed to use it once, the tow bill was $340.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourcats
Most engines have a "high idle" so you can park and sleep when its 20* with a wind chill of -20. It circulates the fuel, keeps it from gelling. I failed to use it once, the tow bill was $340.
Yeah -20 you probably want to forget about plugging in the truck and just idle it. However this guy was asking about parking it at the shop, so you wouldn't want to just idle the truck for days at a time, much cheaper to plug it in.