Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRally
8)

Here's an entertaining video displaying proper clutch usage... :twisted:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vxkQmcDsulU

(extra credit for running over any maniacal bystanders :twisted: )
Proper clutch/brake/accelerator usage yes, but I didn't see any double clutching.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:50 AM

Back when I was in School, and didn't know squat, they said, "You will Dbl Clutch ONLY here!". As a part o the Classroom Portion, Shift points @ RPM vs Groundspeeds were stressed like nobody's business - (on a Straight 10 Eaton).. I learned well how to Dbl clutch. During a Road Session, at a location too near where the Master Instructor told us not to be, the Clutch Linkage BROKE. Long story short: I got my first lessons in Floating when the Driving Instructor had to take the wheel... (I had to come to a stop/ red light intersection/ downtown traffic/ newb/ etc).
That sucker Started the Freightliner FLHD in 1st gear - and floated us home to base. ("We ain' gonna sit here no 2+ hrs waitin' on no Mechanic/ Tow truck. Here's why you at least better 'know' how to Float.")
After hiring on to my current Company, I did 4 weeks out with a Damn Good Driver Trainer and learned well how to float.... (And Right Here is where all that hammering on RPM vs Groundspeed/ shift points paid off!)
Nowofdays, after 20months solo behind the wheel, I float up or down most of the time. Howeverso--, each and every time I get in a bind, ('torque-locked driveline', uphill/downhill loaded/unloaded, exhaustion, whatever), I automatically go into Dbl Clutch Mode due to my training and it's saved my rear many times....
So I'll say this to you: LEARN and make Dbl Clutching an instinctual Basic Move. I got a feeling you'll be schooled on the Float at a later date... Dbl Clutching is the best way out of trouble in consideration for the mechanical components in the Driveline and in consideration for the Human Condition. Yo Brain need to be working to Float properly and well... AND.. Yes, it's the only thing that'll get and keep you rolling when clutch probs ultimately arise. :wink: There are simply Some Places where you don't want to be stranded just on account o busted clutch components, etc. :mrgreen:
It's all a bit o WORK, .. but you did come to work, didntcha? :shock: