User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Well, I stuck with double clutching. It seemed to come together this week. I haven't had any major problems. If I loose a gear, I can put it in another pretty fast. This is a good thing, we were told we are testing a day early, surprise, surprise. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. This might be fun.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Well, I stuck with double clutching. It seemed to come together this week. I haven't had any major problems. If I loose a gear, I can put it in another pretty fast. This is a good thing, we were told we are testing a day early, surprise, surprise. It is supposed to rain tomorrow. This might be fun.
Now we are up to 80% chance of rain throughout the day tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Downshifting

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman
I am still in school, a community technical county school (PTEC) and it is our instructor who will test us. He says don't worry about shifting while stopping. Just worry about getting it to stop safely. He says he would rather NOT see us downshift at all, just stop. On upshifting we must double clutch for him.
My problem on down shifting is the closer I get to my stop or turn. When I still have some distance I seem to do alright. As I get closer it defies logic to take my foot off the brake to rev the engine. We are using 9 speeds. The instructor showed us a neat trick, I don't know if it common knowledge or not, when down shifting in high range, high range low is the same as low 4th. It is much easier to find high low than it is to find 4th, and 4th can be used for turns.
I usually do not bother downshifting more than 2-3 gears except for turns...its just unnecessary work on your poor joints...
Old 10-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Senior Board Member

I use the clucth for starting and stopping only. However, when I first started learning to drive, I'd use the clucth every now and then if I got jumbled up shifting and it would save my momentum and find the gear. Learning the different points where the shifts are smooth as butter is part of learning to drive, and did not come that easily for me, but practice made perfect 8)
Old 10-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Board Regular

this is probably too late but down shift one gear at a time each time your tachometer reaches 1200 rpm's. Use your clutch to take it out of gear then just bump the rpm's up a little and give the shifter a little pressure towards the gear you want at the same time and it will slide right in I guarantee it will work on that 9 speed.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Senior Board Member

I took my driving test today, and passed. It was raining a little, the roads were wet. We had the airbrakes, backing and road test today. Everyone passed the airbrakes and backing only four of us took the road test, the others will in the next two days. Then I had to go to DPS, get my license and start the HAZMAT process. I should be at TMC November 6th or 13th. I hope to see some of you up there.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Rookie

Just my .02 from a rookie.....I just took my test 2 weeks ago and I was concerned about this just as you are. I asked the instructor what they wanted me to do and explained I could use the clutch but was better at floating the gears. She said to me that it is not required to use the clutch and to do whichever way I know best....that is how I would drive on my own and be the safest. Also the test was as easy as everyone told me it would be and even though I was confident in knowing what I needed to, I worried about it more that I needed to. My point is if you have questions on how they want you to do it, explain you can do both but are better doing it a certain way. The testers are everyday people, not drill sargeants with whistles and superpowers. If you are confident in your ability and knowledge, relax...you'll do fine.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwilukrz
Just my .02 from a rookie.....I just took my test 2 weeks ago and I was concerned about this just as you are. I asked the instructor what they wanted me to do and explained I could use the clutch but was better at floating the gears. She said to me that it is not required to use the clutch and to do whichever way I know best....that is how I would drive on my own and be the safest. Also the test was as easy as everyone told me it would be and even though I was confident in knowing what I needed to, I worried about it more that I needed to. My point is if you have questions on how they want you to do it, explain you can do both but are better doing it a certain way. The testers are everyday people, not drill sargeants with whistles and superpowers. If you are confident in your ability and knowledge, relax...you'll do fine.
Thank you for your advice, but if you look at my post just above yours, I have already taken and passed the test.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Rookie
Default Re: Clutch or Float Gears

Quote:
. . . should I try to learn to float and am I likely to downshift better floating? Or should I just stick to double shifting, which I'm better at every time I drive? . . .
In Georgia, State Examiners do not allow floating. That said, downshifting with a half a double clutch is acceptable and I often find it easier.

I'd suggest going with what you know best, and when you get with your trainer on the road, do as he wants. Later you can decide.

As for me, I float, but occassionally clutch depending upon the situation. And for downshifting I often do the half double clutch.

[Yeah, I know, a half a double is a single. To clarify, I mean that I clutch into neutral, then float to the next gear I'm going down to. Make sense?]

All the best, Tee
Old 10-27-2006, 01:31 AM

8)

Here's an entertaining video displaying proper clutch usage... :twisted:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vxkQmcDsulU

(extra credit for running over any maniacal bystanders :twisted: )