User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Dollarshort is right on the money.These companies lie to you ,just to get you in.He is 100% correct as most companies are desperate for drivers that they do not care how many places you have driven for.They just want another body in the seat to make them some money.Do not take crap from anyone or any company by no means.Go local and be home with your family and have a half way good life at home.Even with the local gigs there are downfalls and sacrifices.The main thing to remember is keep your driving record CLEAN,no accidents and or tickets,that speaks for itself.Especially when the insurance companies have a say in what kind of driving record the person must have before they are hired.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Senior Board Member

I dont think we have enough info....all the replies are 1 size fits all and not specific to your case....GIVE US MORE INFO
Old 10-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC Vet
Dollarshort is right on the money.These companies lie to you ,just to get you in.He is 100% correct as most companies are desperate for drivers that they do not care how many places you have driven for.They just want another body in the seat to make them some money.Do not take crap from anyone or any company by no means.Go local and be home with your family and have a half way good life at home.Even with the local gigs there are downfalls and sacrifices.The main thing to remember is keep your driving record CLEAN,no accidents and or tickets,that speaks for itself.Especially when the insurance companies have a say in what kind of driving record the person must have before they are hired.
Both of these posts are correct in a lot of ways, but IMO that's not the best way to approach it. There are companies that will take just about anyone, but they're probably not the best companies to go with. No matter what industry you work in or how bad the company treats you, my thinking is that you never want to burn bridges. Burn too many bridges around you and pretty soon your trapped and have no way out. Even if you're not trapped your options become more and more limited over time.

Almost all good companies worth their salt can and will check your DAC. Too many abandonment and job hopping notations listed there will certainly limit you over time. You may even be able to go for several years doing this, but you may also find a point a few years from now where you stand a chance to land that dream job all to have your name tossed because of a bad DAC. Why risk it? In this situation, it is not that difficult to first call the company and make them aware of your displeasure. Make it known to them (nicely) that you would like a change and they'll either respond or they won't. Either way, it won't kill you (at least hopefully it won't...) to spend another week with the trainer if that is necessary. Go through the proper channels, take very detailed notes (names, dates, times, etc.) get and give as much in writing as possible and handle it the right way no matter how bad you feel that you've been wronged. Get a copy of your DAC, if something is on it let any prospective employer know about it in advance and give your explanation for it. Don't let them find out when they order a copy, you'll have a much better chance if they hear it from you first. I've never been in a recruiting or hiring position that used the DAC, but I will guarantee you that a lot of companies will toss your app without even giving you a chance to explain if the see much of this behavior listed.

A good driving record is equally or maybe even more important, but I know for a fact that there are several companies that won't even look at you when they find out that you've had 6 jobs in 2 1/2 years. I'm not throwing jabs at anyone, this is just a fact.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:25 PM

dollarshort wrote:
Quote:
Just quit. Don't worry about it. Don't take crap from anyone in this business. Don't worry about your future, it won't be damaged. There are a hundred other cookie cutter companies out there that will hire you tomorrow. I have had 6 jobs in the past 2 1/2 years and I can go anywhere tomorrow and be accepted anywhere! No, my record is nothing to be proud of, but as desperate as these companies are don't let anyone scare you into thinking you will be black-balled. Just keep a good safety record and you will be just fine.
Yeah, don't worry about your future, dollarshort has 6 jobs in the last two and half years. I would be proud. Woop eeeeeee!

USMC Vet wrote:
Quote:
He is 100% correct as most companies are desperate for drivers that they do not care how many places you have driven for.They just want another body in the seat to make them some money
If you listen and do what these BBR's are saying well all I will say is Good Luck! If you become a job jumper like dollarshort their will be companys out their that will hire you, you won't like the job and they will not pay the best. Do you think if you showed up at Walmart or on some dedicated account where they have excellent hometime, benefits and you can make sixty to eighty thousand a year and you had six jobs in the last 30 months they will hire you, no. They want some one that is going to stick around and not quit after 6 months. So you won't get the job. They are rite about one thing if you have a valid cdl you can get a job, just not always the best. Always remember every time you change jobs it cost you money, always investigate the companys before going to work, talk to the drivers, go to the home office and look around if you can, see how they treat their people and how great the open door policy is , look at their equipment, shop and driver facilities. I went to a company one time in Kansas City, walked into their driver lounge it was as big as 2 jail cells and filthy dirty, shower and restroom even filthier and had a inch thick glass between the driver lounge and dispatch room and the door to the offices was locked. The recruiter/ safety man came out to me and wanted me to sit and fill out the app in the dirty lounge, I left. I am proud of my work history, 10 years at present company, no accidents since I started driving and my MVR is clean. Good luck to you and hope you have a safe and great driving career.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Board Regular

Be a MATURE adult and give the company notification that you are not returning; whether it be a phone call, email or carrier pigeon. You never know what the future will hold for you and you may find yourself back out here due to necessity.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John
dollarshort wrote:
Quote:
Just quit. Don't worry about it. Don't take crap from anyone in this business. Don't worry about your future, it won't be damaged. There are a hundred other cookie cutter companies out there that will hire you tomorrow. I have had 6 jobs in the past 2 1/2 years and I can go anywhere tomorrow and be accepted anywhere! No, my record is nothing to be proud of, but as desperate as these companies are don't let anyone scare you into thinking you will be black-balled. Just keep a good safety record and you will be just fine.
Yeah, don't worry about your future, dollarshort has 6 jobs in the last two and half years. I would be proud. Woop eeeeeee!
One of the biggest problems with drivers today is the tendency to jump ship the first time something doesn't go their way. When you act like a mere body that occupies a seat, you're going to get treated that way.

Quote:
Do you think if you showed up at Walmart or on some dedicated account where they have excellent hometime, benefits and you can make sixty to eighty thousand a year and you had six jobs in the last 30 months they will hire you, no. They want some one that is going to stick around and not quit after 6 months.
Precisely.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Senior Board Member
Default For your information

Like I said I am not proud of my previous work history record. But I will tell you this...Every company I have worked for I did an excellent job and did exactly what I was told. I always give my best effort. The reason I will quit a company is when they don't give THEIR best effort!

I have nearly a million safe miles behind me and never an incident of any kind. Therefore the company I am currently working for is paying me nearly $20 bucks an hour to drive locally. I am home every night and every weekend. If I volunteer to work over the weekend I get about $30 bucks an hour.

It doesn't sound to me that I am being punished by taking a low paying crap job. And I will tell you one thing. If this company pisses me off I will just go to another one.

These companies bring on the turnover problems themselves. If they would just take better care of the drivers they have you wouldn't have so many people jumping ship.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Board Regular

Dont be so hasty.
Finish your training.
Once you get into job hopper mode its hard to break.
You lose lots and lots of money and benefits by constantly changing jobs.
New guys always get the shit end of the stick.
Dont be a new guy forever.

Folks say that truck drivers can get hired anywhere they want is complete BS.

They can get hired by the same scavenger companies, but definately not by any job worth having.

There are outstanding jobs out there where you are respected and treated as an important part of the company payed handsomely and more benefits than you could imagine.

Make a name for yourself first then test the waters.
I guaratee you job hoppers dont even know about these jobs let alone be ever even considered for employment.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinge
Dont be so hasty.
Finish your training.
Once you get into job hopper mode its hard to break.
You lose lots and lots of money and benefits by constantly changing jobs.
New guys always get the $&!+ end of the stick.
Dont be a new guy forever.

Folks say that truck drivers can get hired anywhere they want is complete BS.

They can get hired by the same scavenger companies, but definately not by any job worth having.

There are outstanding jobs out there where you are respected and treated as an important part of the company payed handsomely and more benefits than you could imagine.

Make a name for yourself first then test the waters.
I guaratee you job hoppers dont even know about these jobs let alone be ever even considered for employment.
See above post and tell me I didn't land another good paying job.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: For your information

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
And I will tell you one thing. If this company pisses me off I will just go to another one.
Well its only a matter of time before that happens. Let me know when you fine that job where they never piss you off.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug