User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Delusional?

Well here it is 1:21 am Saturday morning. Despite my vehement claims to being a macho trucker wanna be - I got emotional saying good bye to my "family" at enterprise-rent-a-car.

I've been researching the OTR drivers websites for over a month and have found out that there are complaints at just about every company somewhere along the road.

I am going to drive for Swift plain and simple. Just a few of the reasons are 1) They are everywhere I look where I live, so home time when I want it shouldn't be a major problem. (I can see I 80 from my Living room - IO also counted about a dozen or so on our city streets in just the past few weeks.) 2) I can go cross country solo if I want. 3) I believe in the old adage "what don't kill ya will only make you stronger. - I'm going in expecting problems and will just buck up and grow through - and due to - adversity. 4) I need experience somewhere before I qualify for the great/good /better jobs out there.

I start on Tuesday at a Swift sponsored school in Sacramento. Please, I know how a lot of you think about Swift - so spare me please, just wish me luck.

I will keep all your posts, replies and concerns with me as I go. Thank you all for your input - to others as well as to me - it has been a very "theoretical" education. Now on to the practical eduction of jumping in with both feet.

Hope to see you all out on the road - safely.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Very well said! I couldn't agree more. Everyone has to start somewhere. I started with USX, I catch grief almost daily about that. I don't care though, because like you and all of these "senior" drivers, we all have to start somewhere!

Best of luck to you!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Board Icon

Ha! I thought I was up all alone this morning! :lol:

Good luck to ya T*Storm!!! I agree with what you say. Just keep a good attitude and you'll find out if Swift is any worse than any others. I doubt they are.

Oh... and when things get "ugly" out there, just remember that not ALL of us are putting Swift down everytime we see them!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Rookie

Best of luck, TStorm. Gotta drive where you're happy.
I just left Schneider and they get their share of ribbing, too.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Rookie

how much is swift paying you, and how often do they allow you to get home?

look at http://www.swifttruckingjobs.com/new_pay.php
all they have is example telling you aprox annual income,and its says its not guaranteed compensation.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Default ?

Just because you "see them" other Swift trucks all the time doesn't mean you will be in one of them. It's a shame but that's the way it is.
I used to work for a company that used to haul probably 50 loads per week out of a place just across the street from my house. In 3 years I never once got a load out of there. Its amazing how these companies will seem to purposely "not" get you close to home when you need to be even though they have the ability to do so.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Good luck T*Storm. I have spoken to some drivers who are with Swift and they seem to really like the company. I would not concern myself with what others say or think. As long as you are happy with them, that is all that matters. You should be able to earn a decent living with them while you learn a new profession.
Old 09-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Rookie

BOL!
Old 09-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
Just because you "see them" other Swift trucks all the time doesn't mean you will be in one of them. It's a shame but that's the way it is.
I used to work for a company that used to haul probably 50 loads per week out of a place just across the street from my house. In 3 years I never once got a load out of there. Its amazing how these companies will seem to purposely "not" get you close to home when you need to be even though they have the ability to do so.
You got that right..........well put
Old 09-30-2006, 04:18 PM

It sounds like youi've put a lot of thought into your decision, and done some homework. And what is being said is true, you do have to start somewhere. Just pay attention to what is going on around you with Swift. Make an honest assesment of what you like and don't like. That way, should you decide to move on to another company, you'll have a better idea what to look for, what to avoid and what questions to ask. Just don't get upset and leave the driving profession because of a few bad experiences. I firmly believe that there is a "perfect" driving job for every driver out there. I also firmly believe that a large number of drivers haven't found that job. With training, research and a lot of honesty about what you want / don't want, you can find that job. Who knows, Swift might even be that place for you. You'll find out soon enough.

One other thing, that perhaps your recruiter told you, or perhaps not. Yes you can run 48 state solo with Swift. But you will get home much less often than the regional drivers. I'd hate to see you fall for a recruiters "be home every 1-1 1/2 weeks" line only to find out it isn't possible. That is one of the big complaints in this business, lack of promised home time. But, it is one more thing that has to be looked at honestly by the driver. As an example, if you live in California and pull a load to Bangor Maine, you won't be home for this weekends barbeque. For the most part, it comes down to running 48 states and staying out longer, or running regional and getting primo home time. As a rule, you won't get both. But lots of new drivers seem to expect both, and lots of recruiters seem to promise it. Don't fall for that.