Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat
"and as for as drivers with little experience training new drivers is concerned with Swift, that?s the myth that just can?t seem to die and won?t go away. "

It won't go away because it is perfectly true. Mind you Swift isn't doing anything different from the rest of the training companies, and I am not accusing them of such. But, it's right on their website. You can become a trainer after 6 months OTR experience (as I said, this is true in most of the big training companies.) That is scary when you get right down to it. We live in a world of rookies training rookies. No good can come from that. And yes, Swift is as guilty as anyone in this department.
Some people are so gullible and buy into the hearsay propaganda that they hear so much that apparently not only do they become delusional but also hallucinatory as well. It is something I?ve noticed quite often since I started visiting this website, especially when it comes to demonizing Swift.

Mentor Programs
After you?ve been a Swift driver for at least a year, you?ll have the opportunity to teach other drivers the ins and outs of professional driving. When you do, you?ll be able to earn extra income for taking on this important role. Click here to learn more about being a mentor at Swift.

Indeed, when I was with Swift, not only did you have to have a minimum of one year of experience FIRST before you could qualify for the Mentor Program, but you also couldn?t have any preventable accidents or service failures for the prior six months.

New employees who have more than one year of experience when they hire on with Swift may qualify for the Mentor Program after six months if they successfully complete six months of employment with Swift without any preventable accidents or service failures.

Hmm?where did you say again you saw on the Swift site that you only had to have six months of experience to qualify for the Swift Mentor Program?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpick
Mentor Programs
After you?ve been a Swift driver for at least a year, you?ll have the opportunity to teach other drivers the ins and outs of professional driving. When you do, you?ll be able to earn extra income for taking on this important role. Click here to learn more about being a mentor at Swift.

Indeed, when I was with Swift, not only did you have to have a minimum of one year of experience FIRST before you could qualify for the Mentor Program, but you also couldn?t have any preventable accidents or service failures for the prior six months.

New employees who have more than one year of experience when they hire on with Swift may qualify for the Mentor Program after six months if they successfully complete six months of employment with Swift without any preventable accidents or service failures.
Toothpick - I was gonna post this, but some peoples literacy skills include selective reading.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:03 PM

It appears as though Swift has made some upgrades to their site since I was last there. I cannot find where it says six months, I also cannot find where it says 1 year. There doesn't seem to be a time qulification for mentors listed anymore. So, maybe I'm wrong. I'll concede that. But, that changes very little. By your own admission, a driver with one year experience can become a Mentor. Lets take that as the real number. And let's admit that that is still a very scary notion. (Again, I point out that it is no different from most of the training companies.) Do you honestly believe that a driver with one year of experience should be training anyone?

It turns out most of the training companies have a bad reputation. I think Swift gets a brunt of the flack because of their size. On any given day, a driver is gonna see more Swift trucks than say, USA truck or PAM transport (both training companies.) As a matter of simple math, the more vehicles you have on the road, the more mistakes are going to be made, the more people are going to see those mistakes. Does that make Swift more deserving of criticism? Certainly not. But, the concept of using drivers with one year, or even six minths of experience (perhaps Swift isn't doing that, but some companies are) is not a good idea IMO. Based on that, virtually all training companies deserve a bit of the bad reputation they get.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat
I think Swift gets a brunt of the flack because of their size. On any given day, a driver is gonna see more Swift trucks than say, USA truck or PAM transport (both training companies.) As a matter of simple math, the more vehicles you have on the road, the more mistakes are going to be made, the more people are going to see those mistakes.
Do you work for Swift? Is your name Cindy? Did I just talk to you this morning? ...Cause thats almost ver batim what the recruiter told me this morning when I interviewed them AGAIN concerning their trainers.

By the way, if you follow the link (click on the blue letters that spell "Mentor") on tootpicks post, it will bring you to Swifts webpage that will state the 1 year rule and the additional qualifications to become a "mentor" at Swift. 8)
Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 PM

No, I'm not Cindy. Just applying some realistic logic to the situation. It's not hard to figure out why Swift has a bad name. The tricky thing is figuring out how Schneider has improved there's so much in recent years. That seems to defy logic, at least from the outside looking in. Either way, I'm not saying that all of Swifts trainers are bad, or that Swift is bad per se. I just have a negative opinion of trainers with one year of experience. But thats me. FWIW I also have a personal dislike (on a "would I want to work there" level) of large carriers in general. No doubt that clouds my judgement a bit, and shame on me for letting it.