User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default start trucking

i have a few questions i am presently a school teacher i am looking at leaving the field and begin driving i was wondering if i could could make the same thing and e home nightly i really need that because i have two young children any information will help please
Old 09-26-2006, 05:06 PM
Default Re: start trucking

Quote:
Originally Posted by okra77
i have a few questions i am presently a school teacher i am looking at leaving the field and begin driving i was wondering if i could could make the same thing and e home nightly i really need that because i have two young children any information will help please
Highly doubt it. Most locals that pay anything worth working for require a minimum of a years experience OTR.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Rookie

what do you think i could make on a local run home nightlly really you would be suprised what teachers make in mississippi
Old 09-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member

I will say that its highly unlikely that you will match your current pay with a local job. The reasons are: 1, you have no experience so for the vast majority of companies you are not hireable. 2, you would be competing with experienced drivers with good and established experience and safety records.

You did not indicate in your profile or post where you live, so you can only get generic responses.

One of your only hopes is to get with a concrete company or someone like that who will help you get a Class B license, and who pays decently.

Whether or not your pay would be the same or better....who knows.

If I were you, I would take a good long hard look at my degree and qualifications....and then work every search engine on the net to death looking for a job where I could use my current skill set and possibly end up with a better job and income. I would do that before I would even consider this.

Consider this: Local jobs usually have really lousy hours attached them.
I came off the road twice, once to drive a concrete truck...they "promised" me at least $35K a year....harhar...after a few weeks, they would have had to "salary me at $900 a week" for me to finish a year at $35K. The other time was to pull a hazmat gas tanker....same set of lies.

Hours literally "sucked"....at work around 2 AM to 4 AM, then home after 10 PM... sometimes had to work half a day Saturday...no overtime, they made sure of that....so Saturday was "shot"... So, driving and spending times with family and children.... nope, not much chance of that. In my case...my wife, who wanted me off the road said: Go back to CFI....at least you make more money, and I get to see you more often and when you are home...you're actually at home and free to do whatever you want.

Also, one of the other "joys" of local work....there is often zero guarantee that you will work every day, and so you have to call in and check a recording to see if you are scheduled to work...usually by 2 AM, and if you're not called in....you get to try to go back to sleep, which is hard to do when you are pissed off and your brain tells you you're not going to have a good paycheck.

On the other hand, someone else may tell you that they have it made in the shade....and it could well be true, and I wouldn't doubt it for a minute.
I just gave you my personal experience here in sunny southwest Florida.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
what do you think i could make on a local run home nightlly really you would be suprised what teachers make in mississippi
I mean you could do like local dump truck, but you want to think about your career before doing that.

If you got a local doubles run, or maybe just a daycab running 48's or 53's you could make $15-$20 hourly, but be prepared for a screwy work schedule.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Rookie

well i will be honest i currentyl teach in mississippi have a math degree and make about 37000 a year i have only taught in my career but i have driven buses for all 6 years i have been teaching
the retirement in ms suck for teachers and the pay is even worse so what could i make on a local run in miss
Old 09-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Rookie

thanks for the honesty
Old 09-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Probably no worse than teachers in FL or the rest of the southern states. Have you considered "moving" to get a better paying job? Have you looked into teaching in a private school? Have you searched the job search engines to find a better paying job? Have you checked with DOD (Department of Defense) to see about jobs in military post/base schools?

Frankly, from where you are sitting right now....you would do better if you invested about the same amount of money or even less and went to school to be an RV technician.... you'd make more to start, have regualr hours and actually have a work schedule....and your kids wouldn't wonder who it was who tip-toed in and out of the house all hours of the night.

I think its very possible that the recruiter was "optimistic" about the pay. I have lived in the south most of my life....and if your local pay is anything like it is here....its going to be more like $7.50 to $10.00 an hour.

Here's how to find out: Go on line to your areas job bank or newspaper or to this site: http://www.ajb.dni.us and find the portal link for Mississippi, then search the jobs based on either the city or zipcode...and you will get answers. If the adds do not have hourly pay in them....they probably don't pay worth "spit".

I apologize if I sound antagonistic, but you asked the questions, and its only right for me to be as honest as I can be.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 09-26-2006, 05:29 PM
Senior Board Member

I just ran a search on http://www.ajb.dni.us for Tansportation jobs.... there are scads and scads of them....and most of them are for OTR. Changing the search parameters and putting in the word local reduced it down to 13 pages.
That was the state of MS. You can narrow it down by city or zipcode.

Old 09-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Rookie

so you are saying ineed to goback to school and get in another field what would be the most beneficial field to get into