LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by okra77
he has shown me stubs and we have talked alot he just got his cdl class b and they hired him how is that possible also
Anything is possible...

Quote:
i have mechanical experience what do you think the school would cost
http://www.cwrvi.com/tuition.cfm go and look. Join their "Presidents Club" for 10 or 15 bucks and save 10% on the tuition....

The answer to the question is....probably/possibly less than a cdl mill and you would actually have a saleable skill that be usable for the rest of your life. Who knows...with your educational background it could even lead to an even better paying job in management....
Yes, and I ALWAYS stress to people looking to get into this field...don't screw yourself by going to some over priced driving school. Community Colleges are where I find my most succesfull students.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:02 PM
Rookie

let me ask you this i used to work for ups and have been approached by a person that works there about a driver job what do they pay and is that a good company to work for i only worked there part time
Old 09-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
yes but i have to have two jobs just to make ends meet so i never see my kids also we get paid once a month that sucks also
Welcome to the "new America"....actually thats how its been for a while now.

Quote:
i mean i went to college for 4 years took all those advanced math classes adn make my salary
And that is precisely why you should spend some truly significant time doing research for something that will put you ahead of the game. Don't piss away all that money that went into your education....because if you drive a truck, thats all you will be doing. You will not make one dime more than a "mothbreather with a ged"...and he may be your "superior"....now that will piss you off eventually.

Quote:
i just want something different from this school house
Right about now...you're probably wondering about my education and why I do this. Yes, I'm as educated as you, different major, but all the same.
I came from a business background, sales, management, and business ownership....long story, tired of dealing with people, and other issues. But I run OTR, make more money at it than I can local, and almost every position I have ever held has required me to travel extensively, and not having any one but my wife nowadays (I'm a grandfather) it works out OK.

Exercise great caution at this stage in your life. There are economic indicators in the wind that the talking heads are blathering about that could possibly signal some downturns in the economy.....and it will affect all levels of transportation.... If I were you.... I would step away from this, get very dispassionate, and start looking at "what can I really do to improve my life"....contact a "headhunter" see if there is something they could fit me into that would pay better or be more interesting.

Your friend is making $41.6K a year...about $4.6K more than you. His hours probably suck in reality....because he has to be at dairies to pick up the milk and move it to be processed, and his overall hours are probably more than you put in with both jobs.... I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty good at guessing.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR EDUCATION!! There has to be something you can do that will pay off in the long run!!

Here's another thought. You have a four year degree in math. If you are under the max age for the military, you could apply for a commission or go to OCS and get commissioned. Good pay, great benefits, great retirement, free health care, free housing or housing allowance, and on top of that...have good prospects for advancement. I'm guessing you're late 20's early 30's....unless you're a late bloomer.

Having a college degree makes the world your oyster....don't blow it!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
let me ask you this i used to work for ups and have been approached by a person that works there about a driver job what do they pay and is that a good company to work for i only worked there part time
My answer to that is this: I don't know if UPS in MS is Teamster or not, but if it is....and you can get in....you would be a flaming idiot if you didn't!! Even if its not Teamster, the potential income is greater than what you are making now, and the benefits are superior. If you can go Teamster, they have a pension and excellent health benefits.

I tried like the dickens years ago to get on with UPS....but since my brother worked for them....I couldn't get hired. You will have to deal with a certain measure of bs...like anywhere, but even if its miserable...your paycheck will more than likely make you giggle, and your friend will think he's getting "stiffed" by his boss.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 09-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Rookie

yes you are right i am 29 get this i get to school around 6:30 i coach football and basketball to make more money so i get home around 8:30 and 3:30 in the morning on fridays so i have sucky hours i just want something better out of life it seems like i am spinning my wheels with this teaching job so to speak i just want something else
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Rookie

yes you are right i am 29 get this i get to school around 6:30 i coach football and basketball to make more money so i get home around 8:30 and 3:30 in the morning on fridays so i have sucky hours i just want something better out of life it seems like i am spinning my wheels with this teaching job so to speak i just want something else
Old 09-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
And I would be willing to bet "one internet dollar" that if you got a local job driving a truck...your hours would be just as "sucky" as they are now, if not worse, and the possibility of making less money would always be in the forefront.

Think about this: If you have a Mathematics Degree, are 29.... and don't have any "skeletons" in your closet.... you could very well get into any branch of the service....in the Finance and Accounting sector.... If you were to go anytime soon...stayed for just 20 years, you'd retire at 49/50 with 50% retirement, stay for 30 retire at 59 with 75% pay. My dad retired as a Major from the Army.... so I know about this. I spent 10 years in the Army....and got out. One of my greatest regrets, because had I staye for 30....I would have retired at 47 with 75% pay, and all the other benefits that go with it. To give you an idea.... I was an enlisted man, a Senior NCO....and if I had stayed for 30, made it to Sergeant Major...and retired this year....my base pay would have been $64,728.00, and retirement pay would be $48,546.00. I made a decision years ago in haste. (hint, hint) My life has been pretty darn good...but it could have been better, had I taken more time and decided more with my brain than my emotions/heart. I learned the hard way....if only I could go back and change the past.....

I will tell you something 99% of military veterans can relate to: It is now time for you to "extract your cranium from rectal defilade", look at ALL your possibilities, discuss said possibilities with your wife/husband, make up a plan of action....then act on it. Since you are a family unit, your decision affects more than just you....and if you don't consider them in the plan.... your bad, and a big one at that.

I am either the same age as your dad, maybe older....so I will tell you what I would do if my 35 year old son told me he was going to quit his job and drive a truck: I would put my foot so far up his butt he would be tasting a dirty shoe sole. I wonder if your parents would do the same, even verbally... I think they probably would if they are good people.

Its time for you to make a decision, take charge of your life, and start deciding what you want to do, where you want to go, and where you want to end up.....and I most certainly hope its not as a burnt out and pissed off truck driver, sitting in front of a tv bemoaning a lost life.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Rookie

so how do i go about checking this out i mean would i have to go to basic training and all that what woudl i have to do to get in
Old 09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
so how do i go about checking this out i mean would i have to go to basic training and all that what woudl i have to do to get in
Simple.... Look in the phone book. Look for Military Recruiters, call one for the service you might be interested in. But, read below...because you have a college degree you want to look a little closer at some things:

You can go to http://www.goarmy.com if you are interested in the Army, and explore that site. There is an 800# on the site. Call it. Or if you are located anywhere near Ole' Miss.....call there and see if they have an ROTC program and speak with one of the advisers.

Ok, I've done nearly 100% of the legwork thus far for your future careers, it is now time for you to mount up, get off your butt, and do some leg work.

Good luck!!

Old 09-26-2006, 09:16 PM
Board Regular

Check into other federal jobs as well. There are tons of openings for accountants, auditors etc. Just type in federal jobs and see what comes up. With a math degree you should be able to land something.