User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I can say that they are very organized. They give you a hand out every day and always read through the handout with the help of a PowerPoint presentation. We would have a test usually about what we went over in class that day. Normally open book so if your unsure, you can look up the info to get the correct answer. They covered every aspect of truck driving. I enjoyed the class time a lot. Keep in mind, I did the eight week night and weekend course, so I was only in class Monday and Tuesday evenings 6:00-10:00.

The yard training was on Saturday and Sunday 8:00-5:00. You have to have 10 hours in the yard before you can go on the road. The first day they teach you how to do a pre-trip inspection which you will have to study and study until it becomes almost second nature. Then they will teach you how to couple and un-couple a trailer. Next they will start you out on strait line backing, reverse lane change, parallel parking and then alley dock. You will practice, practice, practice. Once everyone has enough yard time you will hit the road. You will go out to Route 40 and learn how to up shift and downshift all day. It is not hard, just listen to the instructor. All the yard instructors are real cool. It is actually a pretty fun time as long as you don't beat yourself up too bad just cause you can't get a maneuver perfect the first time. Like I said, practice, practice, practice.

I will be glad to answer any other questions. Sorry such a long reply, thought I would try to get in as much info to you as possible.
Steve
Old 09-22-2006, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordial98
What was the cost?
I think it's around $3900.00 You can call and talk to Merrill Bageant and find the exact cost. His number there is 937-328-6139. It just depends on which class you take. They have a 4 week course Mon-Fri., the 8 week course night s and weekends, and they also have a 20 week course.

They also train for doubles if you get a job driving for ABF out of the Huber Heights terminal.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info, I looked up their web site and your right with the cost.
What was the size of your class? And did you have time in the truck to work out any problem areas? I had my CDL 14 years ago and now am going to be out of a job in December and would like to get back to driving, I'm sure I am pretty rusty but I hope it comes back to me quick.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I looked up their web site and your right with the cost.
What was the size of your class? And did you have time in the truck to work out any problem areas? I had my CDL 14 years ago and now am going to be out of a job in December and would like to get back to driving, I'm sure I am pretty rusty but I hope it comes back to me quick.
There were 12 in my class. You have plenty if time to work out any problems. The instructors are good about keeping up with that, plus, they have a folder you sign everyday at the yard that the instructors will write comments in. If you feel you need help on something, just ask an instructor, they will take the time to help you. Do you work at Delphi? There were 4 guys in my class from there. I am sure it will come right back to you. There was a guy in my class that went through Clark State 11 years ago and drove a little while then had kids. Now the kids are grown so he decided to go at it again. He did real well.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:32 PM
Rookie

Sounds good, I work at Wendy's corp. but got hit just like Delphi did, actually my mom took the early retirement from Delphi. I guess it's bad everywhere.
Really thanks for the info. BOL. to ya.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Sounds good, I work at Wendy's corp. but got hit just like Delphi did, actually my mom took the early retirement from Delphi. I guess it's bad everywhere.
Really thanks for the info. BOL. to ya.
Your welcome. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask at any time.
Steve