User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2006, 05:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbasher
also need to address this problem. if it aint foggy DONT use your fig lights. they blind people cause most are pointed upward where the headlights are pointed. sorry for highjack.
If the foglights are PROPERLY aimed, they won't be blinding.

And PROPERLY AIMED fog lights are helpful when it isn't foggy on dark 2 lane roads, as they light up the edges better than the regular lights, and may help you see animals (like deer) waiting to jump in front of you.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobytob
choperbob, some of these newer trucks have day time runnning lights, I know mine does, My light wont turn off, only way is a quick highbeam or nothing @ all, so I am in a LOSE LOSE situation. Any suggestions?
DO NOTHING!!

I'd rather a driver do nothing than blind me with the high beams.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Senior Board Member

My truck has the daytime running lights on it, and it has no headlight interrupt switch.

However, it does have a normal on/off switch. So, I flip the headlights off to signal the passing truck, and they turn off for about 1/2 second before turning the DRLs back on.

Ya, even with DRLs, you still have a light switch.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
It's amazing the amount of truckers who drive with their fog lights on. Now I could expect that from a typical 4 wheeler but a "professional" driver. And what about those 4 wheelers driving on the opposite side of the interstate who think it's ok to have their high beams on because we're on the other side so it must not be bright... Hope they like my bright lights too!

well, I found my cure for the high beams, if you want to get their attention there is a flood light you can get from JC Whitney and it is a one million watt light. Thats right a million you flick that on just for a sec if they dont do anything light their a$$es up its so bright you can even tell what color their car is in the dead of night, they have gotten the hint every time ive used it.
And since im one that hates cell phone I have a story for you all, I had a young lady driver pull out in front of me when I was in my car a while back ago, I honked and got absolutely no response out of this girl. So, I thought well, appearently times have changed and a horn isnt good enough to get peoples attention. My cure for that, I forked over a very good chunk of money for a real train horn. End result, well the last lady dropped her fn phone :shock: I dont like high beam idiots or cell phones and anything that will get these idiots attention, Im gonna use it. I wont blind them to wreck, nor will i nail the horn for an hour. Just a chirp out of that horn and youll know im there and im not happy. Hey just thought of something if you cross the horn with the light people would swear theres a train coming down the highway
Old 09-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedb28

well, I found my cure for the high beams, if you want to get their attention there is a flood light you can get from JC Whitney and it is a one million watt light. Thats right a million you flick that on just for a sec if they dont do anything light their a$$es up its so bright you can even tell what color their car is in the dead of night, they have gotten the hint every time ive used it.
And since im one that hates cell phone I have a story for you all, I had a young lady driver pull out in front of me when I was in my car a while back ago, I honked and got absolutely no response out of this girl. So, I thought well, appearently times have changed and a horn isnt good enough to get peoples attention. My cure for that, I forked over a very good chunk of money for a real train horn. End result, well the last lady dropped her fn phone :shock: I dont like high beam idiots or cell phones and anything that will get these idiots attention, Im gonna use it. I wont blind them to wreck, nor will i nail the horn for an hour. Just a chirp out of that horn and youll know im there and im not happy. Hey just thought of something if you cross the horn with the light people would swear theres a train coming down the highway
Cool How much was it, did you have to add a compressor to power the thing ?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
It's amazing the amount of truckers who drive with their fog lights on. Now I could expect that from a typical 4 wheeler but a "professional" driver. And what about those 4 wheelers driving on the opposite side of the interstate who think it's ok to have their high beams on because we're on the other side so it must not be bright... Hope they like my bright lights too!

Now I like that. :lol: Especially the part about the train coming down the highway. Now that may just scare the holy sh*t out of someone. :shock: :shock:
Old 09-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
That is stupid, illegal, and dangerous - I'm sure you will be the first one whining when one of the people you flash is blinded, and drifts into your lane, or one of the people you blare your train horn on slams on their brakes, and you rear end them. :roll:
Old 09-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
That is stupid, illegal, and dangerous - I'm sure you will be the first one whining when one of the people you flash is blinded, and drifts into your lane, or one of the people you blare your train horn on slams on their brakes, and you rear end them. :roll:
Also might I add .. since the use of such a device in that manner is illegal in all 50 states .. should an accident occur you would be liable. In addition, if someone should be seriously hurt or killed, you would be charged with a serious crime. Depending on the state the charges might be "negligent homicide", "willful misconduct leading to death by motor vehicle", "manslaughter", .... you get the picture. All these charges require some time in a small secure room isolated from society to provide some time to think about the stupidity.

This sounds like the imagination of a 13 year old rather than a professional driver.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
My truck doesn't have one of those.
Then.... how do you turn your lights off at night? Or in a truckstop parking lot? Come on .... take a look on your toggle panel. It's gotta be there somewhere.

Now... I haven't driven every make of truck. But, I DOUBT there is one out there that doesn't have a toggle switch for their headlights! The "Marker Interrupt" switch is for your running lights.... to say thank you.

Flicking your lights to BRIGHT is just being lazy. I'm SURE each of you has a switch to turn your headlights on and off (while leaving your running lights ON for awareness) to tell a brother when to pull over.

Personally, I don't CARE if you flick high to low! I don't stare in the mirror, so I'm never blinded. But, this is NOT the preferred method. Most who use it, do it so fast, I miss it! I'd RATHER see the lights go off and then on again.

Fog lights? Yeah, they can be a bit much at times. But, I agree that on lonely, desolate highways they illuminate the roadside better for seeing deer BEFORE they cause you to cause a deadly accident!

Hey... I got an idea! How about flicking your "road lamps" (fog lights) on and off as a courtesy to a passing truck?? Naw.... that won't work! He's not looking anyway! He'll STILL pull over before he's cleared your bumper, leaving you in his "backwash!" EVEN THO he has 2 miles of open road ahead and behind him!!! :evil:

The only problem with truck drivers is that so many of them are just 4wheelers with a CDL! You can't TEACH common sense, courtesy, or professionalism! You either HAVE it.... or you DON'T!!!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
My truck doesn't have one of those.
Then.... how do you turn your lights off at night? Or in a truckstop parking lot? Come on .... take a look on your toggle panel. It's gotta be there somewhere.
I was referring to the COURTESY SWITCH that the original poster was talking about. That is a switch that momentarily blinks the headlights. My truck doesn't have one. It does, however, have a toggle switch to momentarily blink the marker lights.

I use my high beams, but do not flash my high beams. If I pull on the high beam switch, but don't completely engage it, it momentarily cuts out my headlights.

My preference, however, is to not have anything done when I am passing another truck. I know how big my trailer is, and I know when it's time to come back over. I don't need anyone's help driving my truck. :wink:

But if someone flashes me over, I will thank them. Common courtesy.