Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   courtesy when being passed at night (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20697-courtesy-when-being-passed-night.html)

choperbob 09-21-2006 03:10 PM

courtesy when being passed at night

i am glad to see that there are still many drivers who flash lights at night when being passed. what the problem is , some cdl schools do not identify that switch we call courtesy switch. too many new drivers are flashing high beams then low to signal is ok. that switch that does nothing but shut off lights is there for a reason, and it was called COURTESY SWITCH. ever looked in mirrors when someone behind ya has brights on? we have to inform rookies to turn lights to park or off then back on instead of hi/lo. rookies; please try this.

Rev.Vassago 09-21-2006 05:16 PM

My truck doesn't have one of those.

bcbasher 09-21-2006 07:40 PM

also need to address this problem. if it aint foggy DONT use your fig lights. they blind people cause most are pointed upward where the headlights are pointed. sorry for highjack.

Tobytob 09-21-2006 08:39 PM

choperbob, some of these newer trucks have day time runnning lights, I know mine does, My light wont turn off, only way is a quick highbeam or nothing @ all, so I am in a LOSE LOSE situation. Any suggestions?

solo379 09-21-2006 09:13 PM

As long, as you use your turn signals properly, you are courteous enough for me! :P
Just a few years ago, it could be months, before i'll see some "big truck", would change a lane, w/o using it.
Now, i see it on a daily basis! :sad:

And before somebody, would say something... No! Majority of this trucks, is not belongs to any of the "Big"! :roll:
For me, changing a lane w/o it, is equal, to flipping a finger! :x

Mackman 09-21-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobytob
choperbob, some of these newer trucks have day time runnning lights, I know mine does, My light wont turn off, only way is a quick highbeam or nothing @ all, so I am in a LOSE LOSE situation. Any suggestions?

Am in the same boat.

The older macks the r models had a long stick type switch you could hit for headlights and tailights.

Niagarafallss1 09-21-2006 11:23 PM

Don't want to take this thread off too far, just want to share this. When on the 80 past Chicago last fall heading toward the Miss, I gave the courtesy flick off and on to let an O/O enter my lane after passing, and he did one heck of a show with his trailer lights. Four different sets of lights went on and off a few times. Looked like a blinking Christmas tree in a night club. Really cool :)

TruckerChris 09-22-2006 12:21 AM

It's amazing the amount of truckers who drive with their fog lights on. Now I could expect that from a typical 4 wheeler but a "professional" driver. And what about those 4 wheelers driving on the opposite side of the interstate who think it's ok to have their high beams on because we're on the other side so it must not be bright... Hope they like my bright lights too! :D

bcbasher 09-22-2006 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kona911
It's amazing the amount of truckers who drive with their fog lights on. Now I could expect that from a typical 4 wheeler but a "professional" driver. And what about those 4 wheelers driving on the opposite side of the interstate who think it's ok to have their high beams on because we're on the other side so it must not be bright... Hope they like my bright lights too! :D

+1

PackRatTDI 09-22-2006 02:45 AM

Seems like Volvo was thinking when they offered the optional DRL interrupt switch on the pre 2002 VN series and the low beam flash button as well as marker flash button located on the steering wheel on the 2002+ VN series. Much more convenient than having to turn the 3 position switch back and forth. 8)

A quick high beam flash shouldn't be too blinding as long as you're not staring into the mirror. You shouldn't be staring into the mirror anyways. ;)