User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Notice, I said "ABOUT 80 feet long," it may have been a little bit longer, BUT the heck he couldn't. I can hit 40 in about the same distance and I'm using the clutch. This guy never touched the clutch once he took off and never cracked the throttle. He was only in the tractor, so it is possible and was done. I saw a guy do it out on the road one day from a stoplight who was bobtailing at the time in a KW. I was in a car and he left me like I was tied to a tree when the light went green.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Notice, I said "ABOUT 80 feet long," it may have been a little bit longer, BUT the heck he couldn't. I can hit 40 in about the same distance and I'm using the clutch. This guy never touched the clutch once he took off and never cracked the throttle. He was only in the tractor, so it is possible and was done. I saw a guy do it out on the road one day from a stoplight who was bobtailing at the time in a KW. I was in a car and he left me like I was tied to a tree when the light went green.
That must have been one slow car. :lol:
Old 09-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Don't worry about it... My first day at truck school I thought that I would never get it. I was embarrased even though everyone else wasn't doing so good either. I even had to go back after class was out to go out solo... haha. Things are much much better now. You will get in your first week to do it a lot more comfortably.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Now this is no s*&t, back in the 80's I knew this guy, who had a friend, whose brother knew a cop who saw Funky Monkeys truck loaded on that flatbed rail car in AZ after he was caught doin 145 inside the wash bay doin donuts around the steam cleaner, and he never got out of low range. Swear to god 155 never out of third.180 and he was cool as a cuke!

That is the proper trucker tale form.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo
Yooper,

It also sounded crazy to me when I first heard it at the Peterbilt dealership. But, when I left I tried it and sure enough it crawls along but it can be done until you get to too high of a gear.
This is a great exercise to prove that you have enough torque at idle to move the tractor around in lower gears and it requires no or little throttle. It is great because a car has no torque on the low end and requires thottle to convert HP into torque through gear reduction. This starts the understanding of measured thottle and gears to move increasing mass vs. drving a dragster and quickly maximizing the thottle while rushing through the gears. Applying just the right about of torque for the job. Like lifting a carton of milk .. empty you need less "thottle" then when full.