User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How much training is required?

I've just finished going through the Schneider training and am Thinking of going to Swift so I can get more time with a road engineer. I've applied to other companies but most do not accept the Schneider training as being sufficient.

After I went through the Schneider Training Academy I only spent 4 days with a training engineer on the road. I don't think that is enough. I told the person who was testing me during my Skill Qualifying testing that I didn't feel confident in buttonhooks and backing. He told me he couldn't send me back out with a TE unless I failed the testing. As you can guess I passed the SQT and then passed the state CDL test, an Schneider employee gave the state CDL test. Just to show you how confident they are in me they gave me a " Trade in truck" with 750,000 miles. Because its a trade in truck they won't put any money into it. I couldn't get to pass a pretrip and could look at the ground through a hole in the cab by the bunk. The Mechanics suggested I ask for a different truck and when I did my sr told me to take it to the shop. I really feel I was ripped off. I know of people from my class that spent 3 weeks with a TE and the training cost them the same. I really wish I had gone to an accredited 3rd party school. From my experience Schneider is no better then the other mills.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Senior Board Member

a training engineer, a road engineer???? hmmmmm, gonna start calling myself a Freight Relocation Engineer, yeah, that'll work. :lol: :lol: 8)
Old 09-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Board Regular

I would definitely talk to the Safety Department and your Terminal Manager (TOM) prior to making a rash decision. Even if Swift does hire you, there will most likely be a week or two wait prior to going to orientation and training. This is going to cost you money in the form of loss pay and Schneider is gonna want their $3,500 for training.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Senior Board Member

A "TOM" is a team operations manager and they are over your stl.. terminal manager is totally different thing. if you have talked to your stl already and to no avail you need to speak wit ur "tom". a "tom" is leader of a pod of stl/ica's.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Schneider Training

Have you posted this at pumkindriver.com? BOL
Old 09-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Senior Board Member

confidence will come over time. I never went through a company training, I just went to a 10 wks training course at my local tech-school and threw myself to the wolves. I WAS scared i'd hit something backing into holes at truckstops and embarrassed when I was watched, but with some friendly drivers' help and guidance over ther CB I got a lot better. Just keep the cb on, but turned down to where you hear the guy close to you, but not the clown 2 miles away!