User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 02:41 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default where do I fit in.......

kinda long and stupid but...

About 7 years or so ago I went thru driver training at SNI. After getting my CDL, I had to wait almost a week before a trainer could make it to GB to get me. While waiting -- my brother blew out his knee as a ski instructor and was in a wheelchair 1500 miles from family. I did the RIGHT thing and left SNI (they weren't happy but I doubt I was the first or last) to help my brother. After that was taken care of - I went and drove intermodal (container boxes) for a local guy. Was supposed to be home daily (I had a day cab) and I was from midnight to 3 am or so. Yep I HAD to run illegal with this guy. Girlfriend gets preggers and I decide to not be so illegal or gone for only 9 bucks an hour (usually had my 40 hours by the mid afternoon on Wed. I got out of trucking and did some other things. 9/11 hit and I joined the Navy, did my hitch and got out. I now work in trucking but not driving. Got to say the bug has bit me bad to be in a truck. (part of it has to do with the woman serving me with divorce papers 9 months ago) So with a huge child support bill coming (I want to support my kid thats why I am considering getting back in the truck for better pay than I have now - some of you truckers need to stop complaining bout only making 30k a year or 500 a week - there are a lot of us making less and would LOVE to make that kind of money 0- I realize the hours are long but at least you have a job) I am looking at getting behind the wheel again.

I still have my cdl but would have to take the haz-mat part again. Flat bed interests me because of the physicality of it.

So where do I fit - I would say I have expirence driving but it's old (7 years or so) and I am comfortable in a truck -- I have driven here and there since to help friends out - dump truck for example. To be honest the actual driving of the truck was never a problem for me, it's the other BS - you guys know what I mean.

So as a Green Bay (pumpkin central) located driver (kinda) where do I fit? Noob, expirenced, what??

Should I pony up the $$ and re-do a CDL course independantly from a company so I can apply as a recent graduate? Should I machine gun apps to companies hoping they will take a chance? What?

Whom should I be looking at?

TMC interests me but I have heard both sides of the coin on them so it's a "wait and see" and Maverick - heard good bout them.

Like I said -- I am interested in flatbed but would drive van. I want to run LEGAL and be LEGAL at all times. I understand sometimes "things" happen and a risk might have to be taken but it should never be SOP.

My long term future goals were I to get behing the wheel again would be O/O. Yes I know the diff between cash flow and profit. I want to do it to own my own business and to maybe if the stars align and things work get my own authority and maybe go small fleet. Who knows - thats all wayyyyyyy down the line, the first question is most important - get behind the wheel again and if so where do I fit in the industry?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Senior Board Member

With many companies, anything over 3 years being out of the truck relegates you right back to the status of newbie. (Some companies it is as little as a year).

More than likely you will need to redo CDL school or at least take a refresher course, but you could luck out and find a company that will just send you out with a trainer for several weeks.

I would reccomend calling and talking to recruiters from companies you are interested in and see what they say. You have nothing to lose.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

There's alot of trucking outfits in GB
Old 09-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Rookie
Default Either full course or refresher course

is going to be needed. Since you didn't list where you are located in your profile, may I suggest a general web site for you to examine.
www.CareerOneStop.org/WiaProviderSearch.Asp
Click on the state where you want to get training and start doing research.
You may want to investigate the following flatbed companies or companies that have a flatbed division: Arrow Trucking(www.ArrowDrivers.com), Roehl(www.GoRoehl.com) and Maverick(www.MaverickUsa.com) in addition to TMC.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:37 PM

Yea - it's looking like I will need a new course. I am not worried bout passing it - just hate the idea of paying to get somethign I already have ya know?

There are a lot of companies in the Wisconsin area but few flatbed oppertunities. Roehl is one I guess - dunno much about them as a company tho....
Old 09-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
Yea - it's looking like I will need a new course. I am not worried bout passing it - just hate the idea of paying to get somethign I already have ya know?

There are a lot of companies in the Wisconsin area but few flatbed oppertunities. Roehl is one I guess - dunno much about them as a company tho....
If you have kids and like the phyisical aspect of flatbeds, ever considered getting a job with a company like Mclane?
Old 09-16-2006, 08:24 PM
Board Regular

Have you looked at Valley Express out of Oshkosh? They're a dry van and reefer outfit but they may interest you anyway. Gordon is another one with a terminal now in Green Bay.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:47 PM

never heard of Mclane or Valley express...

Tell me more.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:19 PM

Reality being what it is -- I was also considering reefer.

Trying to put myself in a position to gain some expirence and then go O/O eventualy. Back right after highschool, I was a shipping and receiving clerk - met a guy who had a small fleet of reefers with Pete 379's. Sharp trucks, anyway he told me the best thing about a reefer is it can be a van but a van can't be a reefer - you open choices on loads with a reefer.

So I expanded my search on here to include reefer companies. I meet Tuesday with the wife to figure child support. So this may get more serious later next week.

Midwest Coast Transport -- anyone heard info on them, I like their little blurb on the site but talk is cheap.......
Old 09-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
never heard of Mclane or Valley express...

Tell me more.
Well, Mclane would be regional stuff, I'm not sure if they have a DC in your area, but there would be an equivilant company. They deliver to convience stores and that type of thing. Might not be the experience you're looking for if you want to go O/O, but you would make around $60,000. Lots of going up and down ramps with heavy loads so you'd keep in shape. Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.