User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Okay... all kidding aside. There's a lot of experience here on this forum from the driving side. I think one of the biggest problems with these large companies is that they get so big they have to rely on management that has no idea whatsoever what driving is about. Unfortunately, the only resource they have is college educated transportation logistic personnel who may know the formulas and theories like the back of their hand, but don't have a clue how they work or don't work in the real world...........the only thing I can relate it too would be intern architects who, all though they may know the why's of design, don't know squat about construction and couldn't build something to save their lives..............one has to know not only the why, but the how to truly be an expert.

Just for the fun of it..........what would you do with any company to change the trucking environment and the mind sets that we all know are the downfall out on the road.

The first thing I would do with Swift or any other company for that matter........I would totally revamp the training process. Trainers should be just that trainers. I've posted it before and I'll post it again.

1. All trainers would have minimum 2 years experience and pay for training would be adjusted to compensate accordingly to eliminate the team concept. The trainer shouldn't be driving. He or she should be observing the student driving, giving advise, suggestions and immediate response to correct student mistakes.

2. Student hours should fall according to the HOS......14 on and then the rig shuts down for the night...........later in the training period the trainer should start planning that would enable the student to get the experience of night driving.

3. Trainers need to be sufficiently screened and properly trained to be trainers (i.e teachers). You can't get this from a two day trainers course.....sorry, and not every driver with 2 years experience is cut out to be a trainer.........I don't care how good you are at driving, your temperament can and most often squashes the student's spirit............

I think this one program could have a tremendous impact on the success rate of rookies, let alone the reduction in turnover.........and if done right wouldn't cost any more than the problem ridden programs we all went through...........in reality, I think it would cut cost, if in nothing else, the turn over rate.........

Maybe I'm out in left field........hell maybe I'm not even in the ball park, but we all know these training companies go through people like we use Kleenex tissues when we have a cold............why? My daddy taught me when you don't succeed the first time, figure out what's wrong..... correct that and try again..........only a fool keeps doing the same thing over and over again getting the same results............

Maybe some of you more experienced drivers out there can point out something I'm missing or at least give me directions to the ball park.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Default PAY RAISE FOR SWIFT

Ive been at orientation the past week in Laredo Tx and YES they have just raised the cents per mile on Runs.......................
This will take effect on Oct 1.

Just food for thought.Has anyone noticed that in Laredo The Swift yard is smack right next to Werners (LOL).

Werner buying Swift................I doubt it.
Swift buying Werner................Priceless (LOL)
Old 09-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Headed4Home.... that glowing neon Weenie sign is the easiest way to navigate to the Swift Laredo yard :wink:
Old 09-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: PAY RAISE FOR SWIFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADED4HOME
Ive been at orientation the past week in Laredo Tx and YES they have just raised the cents per mile on Runs.......................
This will take effect on Oct 1.

Just food for thought.Has anyone noticed that in Laredo The Swift yard is smack right next to Werners (LOL).

Werner buying Swift................I doubt it.
Swift buying Werner................Priceless (LOL)
How much was the raise? I don't see anything on their web site about the raise yet so I am curious just how much they bumped the pay.

Longsnowsm
Old 09-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Board Regular

That's because the Swift terminal in Laredo is the old MS Carriers terminal. This is also why this terminal is nicer than 95% of the other Swift terminals. Private bunk rooms, private showers, nice tv room, etc.

Codger