User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2006, 03:32 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Trucking with back problems?

Hi,

I am active duty in the US army, and I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, in support of OEF 7. As such, it's not easy to make calls to recruiters, and normally the best I can do is email. I'm getting out of the Army in May of next year, and I am interested in driving a truck.

The biggest problem I have is that I have a serious lower back condition. If any of you are familiar, I have Spondylolisthesis with two bulging discs. I have a tough time lifting heavy things repeatedly, and because I can't stand up for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, I'm limited in what I can do. I can normally sit as long as I want, provided I have a seat with adjustable lumbar support, or a small pillow or something to stick back there. The only problem I'd see, at the moment, would be loading and unloading, therefore I'm trying to find a carrier with mostly no-touch and drop and hook.

I'm currently leaning towards Roehl. I've been in touch with Rob, one of their recruiters, and he tells me that they can schedule me to go to their driving school right after I get out, and that they'd likely hire me.

Is my back going to get in the way of this? What about the DOT physical? I'm very healthy overall, with the exception of my back. Is finding a carrier where I wouldn't have to lift heavy stuff out of the back of a truck unrealistic?

Thanks!
Tom
Old 09-15-2006, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Back Trouble

I'm getting out of the Army in May of next year, and I am interested in driving a truck. Will you be back to the World before May? Or out of A'stan and back to the World at the same time. Might be a little soon to be contacting recruiters, not to soon to research training and companies.
Spondylolisthesis Had a spinal fusion when I was fourteen to take care of that. Learned how to lift smart before I got into the Navy. Did 31+ years USN then flatbedding. I have a tough time lifting heavy things Define heavy. As in pulling a kingpin lock? Figure as much as 200# of force, ditto moving boggies. therefore I'm trying to find a carrier with mostly no-touch and drop and hook. When you talk to a recruiter, ask how many loads a day the company does, then multiply that number by the "touch" loads they have, then figure your odds of getting that load. Ex: 2000 loads/day. 95% "no-touch", that means 5% "touch". 5% of 2000 = 100 "touch loads. Do you feel lucky?

I'm currently leaning towards Roehl. I've been in touch with Rob, one of their recruiters, and he tells me that they can schedule me to go to their driving school right after I get out, and that they'd likely hire me. Going to the school and getting hired are not the same thing. You may have to pass Roehl's physical too. Do they do a "Work Well" screening? Ask him to send you a letter on company letterhead indicating they'll hire you right now, no "conditional" stuff.

Is my back going to get in the way of this? Probably. Much may depend on the discharge/VA disability physical results. What about the DOT physical? Maybe. I'm very healthy overall, with the exception of my back. If your back isn't healthy, you're not "very healthy overall". Is finding a carrier where I wouldn't have to lift heavy stuff out of the back of a truck unrealistic? Yes. Even flatters have to mess with tarps and tie-down gear, ditto curtainside for tie-down gear. BOL
Old 09-15-2006, 04:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Did you inform him of this back issue? Lower back problems and trucking are not a very good mix! If you dont have one the chances are that you will eventually have some back problems in this industry. If you already have problems, they will only get worse and the chances of re-injury are pretty good. Back problems are expensive and most companies will shy away from you. There are some pretty good truck seats out there and even the cheaper ones have air lumbar, but that still doesn't keep the spine from getting the heck banged out of it. I have been doing this for over twenty years. I do not have any major problems but after a mishap in our lot, I had to get Xrays and they found then that I have arthritis in my back and will eventually be a bad deal.

Look before you leap and get medically qualified and or released before setting one foot into a door of a trucking SCHOOL!
Old 09-15-2006, 06:30 AM
Board Regular

Thanks for the quick replies!

Good advice; I am definitely getting medically qualified by whoever says they'll hire me before I go to school. Even at the Roehl school, which is fairy cheap, tuition is about $2800...waay to much to spend on something that I have a shadow of a doubt about.

I can do most anything, as long as it's not constant. Pulling a 5th wheel latch is something I'm sure I could do, I just couldn't keep doing it time after time, dozens of times per day. Same with lifting things. If it's necessary, fine, just as long as I don't have to do it all day. The VA will definitely handle all health care costs for my lower back, so I would hope that trucking companies wouldn't consider that a problem, as it shouldn't cost them or their medical insurance a dime. I'm also more than likely going to get disability, probably around 50% through either the Army or the VA.

I want to drive a truck because there isn't much that I figure that would be easier on my back than sitting in a comfy chair and driving most of the day. On top of that, I love to drive, and I love travelling. I figure if I can't do this, I'm not sure what else I can do. Not real sure.

I get back from Afghanistan in February, then after 90 days, I'm getting out of the army, so I do have some time once I get back state side to get things set up. I simply refuse to sit back and wait and not have a plan, that's why I'm trying to set things up now.

I emailed the Roehl recruiter about my back problems, more specifically I asked if the seat had adjustable lumbar support. He told me that it wouldn't be a problem, and that the seats are adjustable. That's all I got out of him; I think I need to inquire about that physical, too!

By the way, if I get one of those loads that isn't no-touch, will most companies pay for a lumper? If not, and if it weren't common, I'd be willing to pay for one out of my own pocket, if necessary. I'm also looking at driving for one or two years, until the VA can do something about my back. Do any of you think I'd have a probem in that amount of time?

Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I all honesty, the back could cause you a problem with most companies without getting a medical waiver from a physician. As long as you can pass the physical, it may not be a problem. Most carrier's will pay for a lumper. You won't be able to afford to pay for one out of your pocket, nor should you. Make sure you get everything in writing from your recruiter before you sign any paperwork. I would be upfront with them. It sounds as though you have already told them about your back. The major concern carrier's have in this type of situation is a workers comp claim. Some of these walk in clinics can do a DOT physical. It should cost you around $60 at the most. If you can pass the physical, you can probably get past their medical qualifications issues. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default VA Health Care

"The VA will definitely handle all health care costs for my lower back" Don't count on it, VA clinics and hospitals aren't in every locale. If possible, get your back fixed before you get out. BOL
Old 09-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Board Regular

Roehl's physicials are done by a licensed chiropractor if you go to the home terminal in Marshfield, WI. I am sure that he will be able to advise you about your condition. I happen to know this doctor very well after spending 20 years in the chiropractic profession myself as a doctor. I have seen individuals with spondylos and disc problems do remarkable jobs. Depends on degree of the spondylo, how your discs are bulged and how your take care of yourself (weight control/exercise).

I am in the van division and I have not had to do any unloading of any load in 9 months that I have been with them. Majority is drop/hook or live load or unload but you the driver does not touch the freight. Roehl will pay for lumpers when needed. We are drivers not lumpers.

Of course after driving for 11 hours your lower back might be sore unless you get out of the seat every few hours to stretch. Also I have found taking 10 minutes every morning to do some head to toe stretching and limbering up helps hours down the road with aches and pains. If you can sit for long periods then you should be ok. Some of the older trucks don't have the best seats but I have found that if you growl a bit they will replace the seats. If you are lucky you might be assigned a new truck. A recent lady grad drove an older International for one week and then was issued a new Freightliner when her International was rotated out in the current upgrade of equipment currently going on.

Roehl has a good 3 week program if you think you can learn on a fast track. They have a good training program designed to get you into the driving seat and out making a living in good time.

I am willing to share with you info on Roehl. Just pm me you questions. I have personally spoken with Rob and he knows that I speak with people interest in Roehl.

Soladad (aka: Deb #3452)
Old 09-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Rookie

TomB, this is off-topic, but thank you for serving our country.

Good luck with the trucking; I hope it works out for you.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Board Regular

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

I have a very bad lower back, old horse riding injury. I manage fine, not pain-free, but I manage.