User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default A few more questions...

I start school in 2 weeks and am going to go otr for at least a yr.I have a few more questions that i hope you guys can answer for me.1)How do these inverters work that you guys talk about for small fridges etc?2)Does Gordon allow these?3)Should i start filling out apps now or wait until I'm done with school?4)What are the odds of getting on with Gordon After school?5)Do companies give you a shot if you have a cdl?6)Can you pull over on the side of the road to sleep or does it have to be at a truck stop/rest stop?7)Can you sleep outside of your truck or on top of it?8)How often do you get under 2000 miles a week?9)Anybody in here do any kind of home school out on the road such as a high school diploma program?10)When guys talk about unloading a dry van is this usally done with a pallet jack?11)Any advice tips pros/cons for a 22 yr old newbie about to go otr?Sorry for all the questions but you guys are all great help any responses would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.[/list]
Old 09-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: A few more questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I start school in 2 weeks and am going to go otr for at least a yr.I have a few more questions that i hope you guys can answer for me.1)How do these inverters work that you guys talk about for small fridges etc?2)Does Gordon allow these?3)Should i start filling out apps now or wait until I'm done with school?4)What are the odds of getting on with Gordon After school?5)Do companies give you a shot if you have a cdl?6)Can you pull over on the side of the road to sleep or does it have to be at a truck stop/rest stop?7)Can you sleep outside of your truck or on top of it?8)How often do you get under 2000 miles a week?9)Anybody in here do any kind of home school out on the road such as a high school diploma program?10)When guys talk about unloading a dry van is this usally done with a pallet jack?11)Any advice tips pros/cons for a 22 yr old newbie about to go otr?Sorry for all the questions but you guys are all great help any responses would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.[/list]

sleeping outside of you truck...not a good idea...never know who will come up on you.
as for on top of you truck.... :shock: ...its ok..just dont rolloff
Old 09-12-2006, 02:25 AM

Hey thanks always thought it would be nice on a hot night to climb up there and sleep.Saw it a long time ago when i was little looked like a husband wife up there.What about at a safe truck stop is it ok to put down a cot or somthing right by your truck?
Old 09-12-2006, 02:32 AM
Board Regular

no really...NEVER sleep outside your sleeper.....unless its at a motel.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:36 AM

Dizzy,

If you remember anything remember this NO Truck Stop Is Safe!!!!!!!!

Truck stops are where the scurg of society hangs out looking for whatever they look for. Get your business done in the store and get out back to your truck. Lock the doors and Never Never let one of these scumbags into your truck.

Rest stops could be just as bad, just have to be aware of your surrondings and don't dawdle around looking as if you just hit the lottery, that will make you easy prey for the bad guys.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
What about at a safe truck stop
i dont really think there is one.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-12-2006, 02:59 AM

ok no truck stop is safe and never sleep outside the truck i got it thanks guys.Any help on my other questions?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most of your questions about miles and inverters will need to be answered by the carrier for whom you go to work. Most carriers should average between 2,200-2,700 miles per week. Some could do more, few will do less. Some companies have loads that require driver assist. You could have access to a pallet jack or unload one box at a time. For instance, you could haul a trailer load of soccer or basketballs. Some shippers do not use pallets to ship them. You may need to unload them one ball at a time. I am not sure whether most companies require a high school diploma. I would think most would. You can earn a high school diploma or college degree on the Internet. If you have access to the Internet, you can attend class. Most carriers require drivers to be at least 23 years old. You will just need to check with those carrier's in which you are interested. Most carriers will require you to spend time with a trainer once you have your CDL. Good luck.