User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is it hard driving a Semi for the first time?

Although I have a some experience in driving straight trucks (dumptrucks), I've never driven an 18-wheeler before and I've also never backed while pulling a trailer of any sort. (You have to turn the wheel in the opposite direction you want to go, then you have to turn it back again).

What was it like to you when you first drove a Semi? And do you think 10 weeks at tech. school will be enough to go from 'nothing' to 'everything'? (provided I attend all classes)? I'm only 19, so for me, this is going for the big-time.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Board Regular

There are a lot of CDL training programs out there that are only 3 weeks long. And they cover the basics of shifting, driving, back, etc. So your 10 week program should give you plenty off time to learn, even if you are have trouble with something. Pay attention to your instructors and ask plenty of questions. Most importantly don't give up.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:55 PM
Board Regular

At first it will seem harder than it looks, like the poster above said don't give up, it will come to you. We all still have off days as well :-)

The most important thing I can tell you, which isn't as big of a deal in a closed course scenario is when backing up don't be afraid to get out and look (or GOAL). There will be times when you botch angling the truck right to nail it on the first try, and maybe now you've lost track of some objects that were around you. Don't feel embarassed if you have to get out, even if there are other drivers watching you, it is way better than hitting something. Follow that and you will be just fine :-)

Oh and driving forward is easy, probably won't feel a lot different than the dump truck other than that you're pulling a long trailer. At first it may be hard to judge how wide you need to take turns and etc, but that is why you'll be riding with an instructor. After awhile you instinctually will know what turns you can make and which ones you can't.

When it comes to backing, when you come up to where you need to back take a survey of what's around you, and then picture in your head how the truck needs to be setup in order to back it in, and then follow that path while backing. You may need to actually take a moment to think about this at first, but after awhile that will all become instinctual as well. Like I said before though we all still have off days where you just don't set it up right, so don't get discouraged.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Well I can tell you that I went to truck driving school when I was 18 and it was only a 2 week course. I had never driven a big truck before but I learned enough to pass my state test. One note of caution though which I learned the hard way.. It is just about imposible to find a job driving truck when you are less then 21, I ended up just waiting till i was older then 21 to get a job driving truck and then people were questioning how long it had been that i had a cdl without driving.... BOL
Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjh1001
Well I can tell you that I went to truck driving school when I was 18 and it was only a 2 week course. I had never driven a big truck before but I learned enough to pass my state test. One note of caution though which I learned the hard way.. It is just about imposible to find a job driving truck when you are less then 21, I ended up just waiting till i was older then 21 to get a job driving truck and then people were questioning how long it had been that i had a cdl without driving.... BOL
That is a good point as well, since you aren't 21 you will have you remain intrastate. I assume since you've driven dump trucks though you'll probably have no problem getting a job driving a belly dumper or something locally.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Hard Driving A Semi

Are you talking the physical or mental part? My experience is, if you're doing your job corectly, you'll be wiped out mentally from the effort. Physical, not so bad.
"only 19", As previous poster said, if you're planning on interstate OTR, you're too young. Intrastate, you're OK. BOL
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Driving is easy, it is that backing stuff that is hard to get used to at first.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Hard Driving A Semi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
Are you talking the physical or mental part? My experience is, if you're doing your job corectly, you'll be wiped out mentally from the effort. Physical, not so bad.
"only 19", As previous poster said, if you're planning on interstate OTR, you're too young. Intrastate, you're OK. BOL
Yes, I'm aware of that problem. I'll be looking for an "8 to 5" job, one where I come in in the morning, drive to whereever, and then go home in the afternoon. I don't want to do any over-the-road driving. A night or two away from home every now and then is okay, but for now I don't want to be away for WEEKS AND WEEKS.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Another thing is I can't drive a standard-shift that well. So the fact that they'll teach me to shift the gears is good too.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

I think it would be very hard to drive a Semi, whether it was the first time you did, or if you have lots of experience.

I don't know how you could pick the front of the Semi up with your shoulders and I don't care how hard you try, you wont be able to release the Spring Brakes by blowing into Glad hands with your mouth. Perhaps if you had Chili for lunch you could duct tape the Red line to your ass and use the gas to fill the tanks on the trailer.

And it is going to be hard to hold back that trailer on the hills just by walking down it. And it is going to be hard on your shoes no matter what you do.

I have always found that if you put a tractor under the Semi it works way better.

Semi. Also know as a Semi-Trailer.

http://www.boss-truck.com/images/trailers/TSPME001.jpg

Tractor (the preferred method of towing a Semi

http://www.tractor-trailer.net/front/front_r4_c4.jpg

Tractor/Trailer

http://www.vancotrailers.com/Tractor%20trailer.JPG

(If a student calls one of my tractors a Semi, I make them polish all the chrome)
Old 09-11-2006, 03:09 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnProDriver
I think it would be very hard to drive a Semi, whether it was the first time you did, or if you have lots of experience.

I don't know how you could pick the front of the Semi up with your shoulders and I don't care how hard you try, you wont be able to release the Spring Brakes by blowing into Glad hands with your mouth. Perhaps if you had Chili for lunch you could duct tape the Red line to your ass and use the gas to fill the tanks on the trailer.

And it is going to be hard to hold back that trailer on the hills just by walking down it. And it is going to be hard on your shoes no matter what you do.

I have always found that if you put a tractor under the Semi it works way better.

Semi. Also know as a Semi-Trailer.

http://www.boss-truck.com/images/trailers/TSPME001.jpg

Tractor (the preferred method of towing a Semi

http://www.tractor-trailer.net/front/front_r4_c4.jpg

Tractor/Trailer

http://www.vancotrailers.com/Tractor%20trailer.JPG

(If a student calls one of my tractors a Semi, I make them polish all the chrome)
That looks like some nice equipment your students train on. Wish I had gotten to learn on equipment like that.