User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Is it hard driving a Semi for the first time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas
Although I have a some experience in driving straight trucks (dumptrucks), I've never driven an 18-wheeler before and I've also never backed while pulling a trailer of any sort. (You have to turn the wheel in the opposite direction you want to go, then you have to turn it back again).

What was it like to you when you first drove a Semi? And do you think 10 weeks at tech. school will be enough to go from 'nothing' to 'everything'? (provided I attend all classes)? I'm only 19, so for me, this is going for the big-time.
First, when you start backing, here is an easy way to make your trailer go where you want it to. Say your tractor and trailer are in a straight line. Look in your mirrors, Place one hand at the very bottom of the steering wheel. When you start moving backwards, Move your hand in the direction that you want the trailer to turn. That is just a starter to get you used to turning the way you want to go, without stopping and looking at the wheel and trying to figure it out in your head. A few days of backing like that, and it will start to come natural.

Someone else made a comment about the truck seeming small after you get used to it... I can relate to that, and after being out on the road for 3 or 4 weeks, I look like a student driver when i'm in my car.
Another tip that I like since for some it might be ackward to hold the wheel at the bottom like that, is when you want to correct the trailer from drifting, turn the wheel toward the mirror where the trailer is growing bigger.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtc_Is_Hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus
The most important thing I can tell you, which isn't as big of a deal in a closed course scenario is when backing up don't be afraid to get out and look (or GOAL). There will be times when you botch angling the truck right to nail it on the first try, and maybe now you've lost track of some objects that were around you. Don't feel embarassed if you have to get out, even if there are other drivers watching you, it is way better than hitting something. Follow that and you will be just fine :-)
nice post, last friday I was backing my trailor in and I was 3/4 of the way in but at the wrong angle, Just creeping very slow getting ready to do a pull up to straight out. I tapped the trailor next to mine, I didnt USE *GOAL* But now I do it only takes once.
MTC: When backing into a slot, remember the width of your trailer. It is only about 5 feet narrower than the slot. If the back corner you can see is more than 2.5 feet from the side of the other truck you can see, you are gonna HIT the one on the far side!

Always try to "push" the trailer in so that it HUGS the line closest to the trailer you can see. Watch out for his mirrors and fender.... but get CLOSE! And be PARALLEL to the line!)

Now... when you have to straighten out to keep from "jacking" into HIM, STOP and look out your right side window and mirror! Your swinging cab (or front of your trailer) might hit something over there. And of course, GOAL when needed.

If you are backing into a slot, and you can keep your trailer's back end / tandems within 2 feet of the line / truck on your sight side, (and you are PARALLEL) you CANNOT hit the truck on the blind side (unless he is over the line!)

And if you CAN'T keep it that close.... you aren't gonna make it anyway. Pull up, and try again.

Newbies may not realize that it is MUCH easier to back into a slot between two trucks, than into an OPEN dock area with nothing but yellow lines to guide you.

When backing in, many ask: "How much should I turn the wheel?" I say, turn the wheel EARLY in the direction you DON'T want to go! As soon as the back of the trailer starts to move in the direction you DON'T want, you have reached the point of maximum control! Now, just steer back the other way, and the back of the trailer will respond IMMEDIATELY.

If you don't find this point of maximum control, you can easily jack into the trailer on your sight side BEFORE you even know you need to steer away from it.

If you're too close, and can't get it to move away, stop and pull forward 10 feet. That's ALL it will take to give you room to steer the backend away from what you were headed towards.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Hard Driving A Semi

Quote:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Another thing is I can't drive a standard-shift that well. So the fact that they'll teach me to shift the gears is good too.
Douglas: I'm not being MEAN when I say that this is a BIG problem for you. You didn't say that you'd NEVER driven a stick. You said you can't drive one WELL.

Shifting a truck is touchy to say the least. It requires that you quickly "catch on" to the pattern, road speeds, and RPM's. It will be dependant on your LOAD weight, grades (even on ramps) and power.

I don't mean to insinuate that you should try another career field, but I want to warn you that you WILL have trouble with this, and the instructors will have trouble with YOU.

A Truck does NOT go into just ANY gear whenever you want it to by depressing the clutch. You may have to skip a gear, or recover a gear when things don't match.

I HOPE your instructors will do a GOOD job of explaining it all to you. But, without the BASIC knowledge of driving a stick shift auto, you will be "behind the 8 ball."

Doesn't mean you can't DO it! But, you WILL have to work harder and learn faster!

Best of luck to you.

Hobo

Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Somewhere between Western Canada and Texas/California

Quote:

OHHHH... so the Semi is the trailer being pulled, and the tractor is the vehicle PULLING it... ops: Me and about 80% of Earth's population are pretty stupid. :

I would not say stupid, just mis-informed.

I know that it is slang to say "Semi" or "Semi-truck" and it appears to be something more Americans say than anyone else. I don't know of very many Canadians that use that slang.

It is just a small pet peeve of mine and I was just poking a bit of fun at ya.

:wink:
Old 09-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Hard Driving A Semi

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Another thing is I can't drive a standard-shift that well. So the fact that they'll teach me to shift the gears is good too.
Douglas: I'm not being MEAN when I say that this is a BIG problem for you. You didn't say that you'd NEVER driven a stick. You said you can't drive one WELL.

Shifting a truck is touchy to say the least. It requires that you quickly "catch on" to the pattern, road speeds, and RPM's. It will be dependant on your LOAD weight, grades (even on ramps) and power.

I don't mean to insinuate that you should try another career field, but I want to warn you that you WILL have trouble with this, and the instructors will have trouble with YOU.

A Truck does NOT go into just ANY gear whenever you want it to by depressing the clutch. You may have to skip a gear, or recover a gear when things don't match.

I HOPE your instructors will do a GOOD job of explaining it all to you. But, without the BASIC knowledge of driving a stick shift auto, you will be "behind the 8 ball."

Doesn't mean you can't DO it! But, you WILL have to work harder and learn faster!

Best of luck to you.

Hobo
Well, how much do you all wanna bet he will drive a tractor and learn how to shift a tractor, then drive a regular car and be totally lost lol
Old 09-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Board Icon

Well... I'm not much of a gambler, but I'll take $50 of whatever "action" you're offereing. And as sure as you sound, you MUST be offering 3 to 1.

I'll admit that I'm old enough to have come from the time that EVERY driver, of anything, learned how to drive a stick shift / clutch automobile.

Automatics are for (dare I say) wimps! (but I've driven/owned them.)

NEVER having been exposed to a stick shift is ONE thing. ....

Not being able to master even a stick shift in a 4wheeler, (when owned or operated regularly,) is ANOTHER!

:shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock:

Old 09-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Board Regular

Driving a truck IS EASY - keeping it on the road, stopping, and safely backing it into a dock, however; takes some skills. :lol:
Old 09-14-2006, 06:51 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by T * Storm
Driving a truck IS EASY - keeping it on the road, stopping, and safely backing it into a dock, however; takes some skills. :lol:
Just WHAT do you think "driving" a truck entails if not those skills you mentioned, and many more!

Holding a steeringwheel is easy. Driving a truck is an ART!

Those who passed Math, but slept through Geography, will have problems. Some who failed English, but passed Creative Writing, will find it easy! It's a funny job... and there are FEW real prerequisites!

Old 09-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by T * Storm
Just WHAT do you think "driving" a truck entails if not those skills you mentioned, and many more!

Holding a steeringwheel is easy. Driving a truck is an ART!

Those who passed Math, but slept through Geography, will have problems. Some who failed English, but passed Creative Writing, will find it easy! It's a funny job... and there are FEW real prerequisites!
You just confirmed my point Golfhobo. Holding a steering wheel is one thing. Driving takes skill. I was being tongue - in - cheek with my reply.
Trust me, I take your words of wisdom and my observation with me.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Is it hard driving a Semi for the first time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_ryder
After a year, you will be driving it like nothing. At first, your like, man that is a big vehicle....
That's what get a lot of folks in trouble! Cause it's still as "big", as when you did, first see it... :P
And you better, always remember that, cause when the things start going "wrong way", it's usually, too late for that! :shock: :wink: