User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

In Utah, when I got my CDL Learners, I had to surrender my Class D.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Here in AZ you can only have once license.... it does not matter if its a class A, B, C, D, E, F, G... its does not matter. One license per person.
When I moved over from CA I had 10 days to get an AZ licence once I became a resident.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_coaster
Yes, you can legally have two licenses from two different states. Heck, you can have 10 from 10 different states. But you cannot have two from the same state. That's a big no-no. You can legally have two "commercial" licences from two different states, but if one is suspended you can't drive (commercial trucks) in any of the states, no matter how many cdls you have (Fed Reg). On the 4-wheeler side, you can be suspended in one state, and drive in another, if you have a valid license in the state you're driving in. The reason for this is a regular drivers licens is state-governed only, non-fed. CDL's are fed regulated, thus the same regs apply in all states to those. I deal with this every day at work. Hope that helps.

west_coaster

I would suggest if you deal with every day you should read the Federal Regs. Below is a few of thoses regs:

Quote:
COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT OF 1986

The Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1986 was signed into law on October 27, 1986.

The Act corrects the situation taht(sp) existed prior to 1986 by making it illegal to hold more than one license and by requiring States to adopt testing and licensing standards for truck and bus drivers to check a person's ability to operate the type of vehicle he/she plans to operate.

"Good driving record" means:

A driver can certify that, during the 2-year period immediately prior to applying for a CDL he/she:

* Has not had more than one license;

CDLIS Clearinghouse:

States must be connected to the Commercial Driver's License Information System (CDLIS) and the National Driver Register (NDR) in order to exchange information about CMV drivers, traffic convictions, and disqualifications. A State must use both the CDLIS and NDR to check a driver's record, and the CDLIS to make certain that the applicant does not already have a CDL.

Carriers needing CDLIS data should seek a commercial company that provides a clearinghouse service for this information, or contact the driver's State of licensure.

Employer Notifications:

Employers may not knowingly use a driver who has more than one license or whose license is suspended, revoked or canceled, or is disqualified from driving. Violation of this requirement may result in civil or criminal penalties.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...ng/cdl/cdl.htm

kc0iv