User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Alternate sleeping for trucking

I have been rolling around a concept of alternate sleeping and wanted to hear from experienced Transport Managers (drivers) of what they thought. Look at the following web page of Hennessy Hammocks. http://www.hennessyhammocks.com. I am thinking that using the Hammocks as an alternative bed as it would give you some variety in sleeping. I could attach the hammock under the trailer and sleep there. I could hook it to two adjacent trees, use your imagination. I plan on not sleeping all the time at truck stops so this would be kind of like camping out. Please chime in and tell me what you think..... The hammocks set up in about 5 minutes.

John Jones
Atlanta, Ga.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Board Member

As far as safety goes, I would not trust my safety sleeping out in the open in this day and age!.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:07 PM
Senior Board Member

IMHO your idea for using a hamock, even part of the time, is not very well thought out.

For starters is the safety issue. Sleeping in the open, in places that trucks are allowed, is just asking for trouble. Crooks prey on the stupid and the unaware most of all, and there is no one less aware of what is going on than someone sleeping.

Health: There are all sorts or chemicals spilled on the pavement, dumped in the grass etc in areas where trucks parked. Also there is lots of exhaust fumes to contend with, not to mention those who are too lazy to empty pee jugs properly and/or those who can not make it to a toilet.

And then there is the issue of where you plan on parking. There really are not that many places that a person can safely and legally park a truck, and as far as using rest areas for your hamock idea that would be considered camping and that is prohibited in most every rest area in the country.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I hope you are not planning to do team driving and hanging a hammock from the trailer. Might be a little windy and noisy.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

When I first started driving, some drivers didn't have sleepers. Those who did had a very small sleeper, by today's standards. Some who didn't have a sleeper often slept across the front seats, sometimes putting a board across. There is nothing like wrestling with a gearshift in the wrong place during a deep slumber. Some drivers would sleep on or in their trailer, some might use a hammock strung underneath during warmer months. Air conditioning was non-existent in most trucks. Those were different times. We didn't even lock our doors at home until I was older. You would not want to try any of those things today. Several years ago, I was traveling through Texas on my way to Laredo when I passed a truck parked on the side of the road. It caught my eye because I noticed a guy lying underneath on a hammock. It was an odd site. It is not something I would want to do. It is much too risky. I believe this guy was Mexican and probably not aware of the dangers of his behavior. :shock:
Old 09-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member

I kinda like the hammock. You may not get a whole lot of use for it, but then again you may find yourself "camped out" more often then we think.
I wouldn't hesitate to use one in some areas. Just like I wouldn't hesitate to camp out. You'll be carefull, I'm sure, and it'll be a whole lot better than the 15 hours I put in waiting in the truck this week.

So pull off to a corner of where ever you are and go for it.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:28 AM
Rookie

When I was a helper on a moving truck I would make a hammock in the trailer (when space allowed). Made it out of the straps and pads. Very comfy! Would not want to sleep in the trailer anymore.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:43 AM
Rookie

Hennessy makes a great product, and I have thought about them inside the sleeper - great night's sleep, but the current ones are too long for inside and others have commented on the outside issues.
Paul
Old 09-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Board Regular

This idea seems a lil too far fetched. Way too risky IMO.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
When I first started driving, some drivers didn't have sleepers. Those who did had a very small sleeper, by today's standards. Some who didn't have a sleeper often slept across the front seats, sometimes putting a board across. There is nothing like wrestling with a gearshift in the wrong place during a deep slumber. Some drivers would sleep on or in their trailer, some might use a hammock strung underneath during warmer months. Air conditioning was non-existent in most trucks. Those were different times. We didn't even lock our doors at home until I was older. You would not want to try any of those things today. Several years ago, I was traveling through Texas on my way to Laredo when I passed a truck parked on the side of the road. It caught my eye because I noticed a guy lying underneath on a hammock. It was an odd site. It is not something I would want to do. It is much too risky. I believe this guy was Mexican and probably not aware of the dangers of his behavior. :shock:

I like reading you're posts Well said. and another random question..can someone tell me what does IMHO stand for? more people on here seem to be using it. chime me in a little bit lol. update my random book sort of speak.