User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I use a GC89 aircard I bought from T-Mobile....upgraded my card recently and my service. $49.95 +st a month, unlimited usage. Its "EDGE/GPRS" and all T-Mobile wi-fi hotspots and compatibles. Not the fastest on the planet, but its "unlimited access" per month.

Meets my needs.....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info. What price range is the norm??
Old 09-04-2006, 03:39 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
I use a GC89 aircard I bought from T-Mobile....upgraded my card recently and my service. $49.95 +st a month, unlimited usage. Its "EDGE/GPRS" and all T-Mobile wi-fi hotspots and compatibles. Not the fastest on the planet, but its "unlimited access" per month.

Meets my needs.....
Skywalker, How is T-moblies Hot spots? I'm using their standard internet service because I got into it when it was only 19.99 a mo and I haven't wanted to let that price go. So I've got the GPRS and they say I get EDGE automatically if I just have a compatable phone/card.

I have been debating which way I'll go and I have been considering the hotspot service, but I'm wondering how often you find a hot spot, and what kind of places?
Old 09-04-2006, 03:46 AM

well im home for the weekend and thinking of going to cingular and getting there wireless card. I have both cingular and verizon phones im guessing my problem was the web cam with my kid. Sorta suks in a way you can't do that paying like 60 bucks a month. But it is in there terms of use so can't argue the point with them. Skywalker is the t-mobile that cheap even without a phone with them or do you have to have a phone to. Thanks
Old 09-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Price for service with most carriers is $80 to $100 a month. But if you have your cell phone with a carrier they will often have deals.

T-Mobile Hot Spots....haven't really found any, but just haven't looked that hard. They have a part of their site where you can go to actually find them... by city, and it actually gives you the address... Thus far though I have been content with the EDGE/GPRS.... I had an older card and it was a couple of years old... seemed to be getting too hot and would stop working now and then and was well out of warranty, so I figured it was time to upgrade so I did. Unfortunately....upgrading my card also increased my price because the plan I had before is not available anymore.. :cry: :cry: But hey, who knows....I might find a hotspot or ten and have some fun....

I don't have a T-Mobile phone.... I have a Cingular, and the T-Mobile aircard internet service still only costs me $49.95 +st a month...unlimited usage. Not a bad deal as far as I'm concerned....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:22 AM

I'm not touching anything that has a Verizon brand on it.

Take a look at the comments following this little gem:

Quote:
Verizon offers an "unlimited" wireless data download service. Specifically, it's limited to five gig per month. After that, you get fined $175 and your account is cancelled.
http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Verizo...l_your_account
There are a lot of people that are furious with Verizon.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/
Old 10-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Skype and other VOIP services are eating into Verizon's bottom line. They know people are starting to end run around their expensive cell phone plans by using VOIP services. So they are enforcing their 5 gb limit.

This is yet another reason I can hardly wait until WIFI and WIMAX are deployed everywhere. The cell companies see the handwriting on the wall when this happens. They will be out of business. You will see wifi phones and low cost ISP plans nationwide via wifi or wimax. A lot of communities are already looking into deploying these services. Good times are a coming, and I can hardly wait to tell the cell phone companies to either drop their price or stick it!

Longsnowsm
Old 10-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Rookie

I?ve averaged 110kbps almost everywhere in the 48 with Verizon. Downloading 5G would take me approx 90 hours. I know I?m paying for the coverage area, which has been above satisfactory. Now if I were receiving 6M/384, similar to a non-moving Comcast broadband account, I would start to question.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhunter
I?ve averaged 110kbps almost everywhere in the 48 with Verizon. Downloading 5G would take me approx 90 hours.
Actually, it would take you longer, unless you were constantly running that 110kbps stream the entire time. So that means no looking at any web pages; you have to constantly be clicking.

If you are using 5G per month, it most likely means you are running a webcam. Every major wireless internet provider has a restriction on their plans that states the same thing as Verizon. It is in the TOS if you just look for it.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 AM

Rev.Vassago said:
Quote:
Every major wireless internet provider has a restriction on their plans that states the same thing as Verizon.
Rev. Vassago, thanks for putting the 5G amount into perspective. But something seems wrong with Verizon calling their service unlimited. Instead of burying it in the Terms and Conditions, they should clearly state right up front.

And if all providers have the same restictions why are there so many people ticked off at Verizon? There are over 150 comments (mostly negative toward Verizon) on the link I provided earlier.

my truck photos at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbenson...7600014142203/