User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 04:16 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default shifting

just starting out in school in greenville sc was wondering how hard the cdl test a is at dmv in south carolina also a little worried about catching on to the shifting patters double clutching and so on ty
Old 08-01-2006, 04:37 AM
Senior Board Member

It will probably take most of your road hours to be able to shift properly. You can't learn it in a minute. I don't think anyone shifts perfectly on their road test but most people pass. The examiners aren't looking for perfection but just the basic skills. Don't worry about it.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 08-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I did fine shifting when I was with the instructor. When it came time for my test I grinded the crap out of it when down shifting. The cop just said, hey, we all do it and don't worry about it.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 AM

thx for the info guys looking at usexpress after graduation what yall think
Old 08-01-2006, 05:25 AM
Board Regular

You'll get your shifting down in school .... won't be a problem for you. The students who failed their road test on the first attempt in the school I went through all had one thing in common.......they let the rig coast up to the stop light in neutral right out of the parking lot of the testing site..........

At the behest of my lead instructor, I took my road test at the end of my second week.......had trained in Super 10's all week and what do they send to the testing center.......straight 10. I ground third and fifth, had to go back to 4th and the examiner said that's it......lets go back. Didn't grind a gear going back.........the next week I did it all over again.......the difference this time, besides not grinding and doing everything else right.....a different examiner.

Turns out the first examiner had been put on a leave of absence pending a complete psychological review........seems he was failing 10 out of 10 students.....the guy who tested right after me testified that going out of the testing center parking lot, the examiner took his gun out laid it on the dash and warned him that if he ground the gears too much or jerked the truck it just might go off.......and that the thing was pointed in his direction. Turns out this guy was an Arkansas Highway Patrolman that had been temporarily assigned to DOT examinations because he had a mental breakdown sorta in the cruiser.

Hell the second examiner was talking through the whole road test, telling me what to do........"remember this turn coming up is a button hook, so set up with your left tires on the line and once you get past the island, turn it back left so your trailer will follow you around the corner and miss the curb.........." at the railroad crossing he said just tell me what you have to do for a Haz Mat stop.....so on and so on..........half way through the road test, I had to swerve to avoid some yahoo who had run a red light and still made the turn I was in the process of making....the old boy let out a Holy Sheeet......where'd he come from? After that he just said let's go back in you got this down........then he started asking if I ever drove before and expanding on his thoughts about you learning to drive once you get with your trainer and such..........

Tmuller.... don't let it worry you.......if you get your hours in on the road you'll be ready.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:26 AM
Board Regular

You'll get your shifting down in school .... won't be a problem for you. The students who failed their road test on the first attempt in the school I went through all had one thing in common.......they let the rig coast up to the stop light in neutral right out of the parking lot of the testing site..........

At the behest of my lead instructor, I took my road test at the end of my second week.......had trained in Super 10's all week and what do they send to the testing center.......straight 10. I ground third and fifth, had to go back to 4th and the examiner said that's it......lets go back. Didn't grind a gear going back.........the next week I did it all over again.......the difference this time, besides not grinding and doing everything else right.....a different examiner.

Turns out the first examiner had been put on a leave of absence pending a complete psychological review........seems he was failing 10 out of 10 students.....the guy who tested right after me testified that going out of the testing center parking lot, the examiner took his gun out laid it on the dash and warned him that if he ground the gears too much or jerked the truck it just might go off.......and that the thing was pointed in his direction. Turns out this guy was an Arkansas Highway Patrolman that had been temporarily assigned to DOT examinations because he had a mental breakdown sorta in the cruiser.

Hell the second examiner was talking through the whole road test, telling me what to do........"remember this turn coming up is a button hook, so set up with your left tires on the line and once you get past the island, turn it back left so your trailer will follow you around the corner and miss the curb.........." at the railroad crossing he said just tell me what you have to do for a Haz Mat stop.....so on and so on..........half way through the road test, I had to swerve to avoid some yahoo who had run a red light and still made the turn I was in the process of making....the old boy let out a Holy Sheeet......where'd he come from? After that he just said let's go back in you got this down........then he started asking if I ever drove before and expanding on his thoughts about you learning to drive once you get with your trainer and such..........

Tmuller.... don't let it worry you.......if you get your hours in on the road you'll be ready.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:51 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmuller02
thx for the info guys looking at usexpress after graduation what yall think
I think you'd be CRAZY! If you have alternatives!!???

I may be wrong.... but I think U.S. Xpress is mostly ALL Automatic. THIS is the first step in "automating" and "dumbing down" our Industrry! This allows anyone who can "mash the pedal" to HOLD the WHEEL and "get 'er done!"

I think it is ENCUMBENT on ALL truckers to KNOW how to MANUALLY shift gears, test ALL brakes, install wipers, add/check OIL, chain up, blindside BACK, and generally handle the rigors of the business.

Did you say you were going to TEAM with your wife? My Brother is in that situation, so I can help with that.

If I understand right, you are just NOW entering school. That's GOOD that you have found and engaged this "forum" so early in the process. And good that you have at least 4 weeks to LEARN how to BE a Newbie!

Best of luck! With ANYONE else but THEM! :shock: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Rookie

can someone please explain the best way to shift while going up a mountain with 40,000 pounds in the trailer without missing the gear and comeing to a complete stop...What i usually do is if im that heave while going up a mountain i just stay on 1 gear even though my rpms are at 18000-20000 until i get to a flat surface then i switch again..But it pisses off the other drivers behind me...Am i doing the right thing?