User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 11:49 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is my age a problem?

I have been reading a lot of posts on here in reply to someone that said they are 22 years old, and the posts are saying this person's age might be a problem. Why is that?

Most of the companies I have looked at have 21 as their minimum age requirement. Are you guys saying that they usually don't hire young people though?

I will turn 21 here in a few months and was hoping to get into a driving career. Will my minimum age of 21 hold me back in your opinion? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Age

Depends on the company. SOme won't hire newbs under the age of 23 or 25. The restriction is driven by the company's insurer. Look at the company listings here and review their requirements. BOL
Old 09-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Rookie

We won't hire anyone under 21 because the only CDL-A you can get under 21 years old is an intrastate, not interstate.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:10 AM
Rookie

kind of like passenger car rental, some wont rent it to you if you are under 21.
Old 09-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Board Regular
Default goodluck

good luck
Old 09-29-2006, 04:01 AM
Board Regular

For what it's worth, I just turned 21 less than a month ago. I've been in touch with a couple trucking companies that said they would hire me when I get back from Afghanistan. JB Hunt will only take me because of my military experience, but Roehl will take you if you are 21 and have a decent driving record. Schneider also looks good, but I haven't talked with someone from them yet.

I haven't done it yet, but from the responses I've gotten, it wouldn't be too hard to get into it when you turn 21.

ON EDIT: Syl77dar makes a very good point about driving. I have a clean driving record, but one speeding ticket is enough to disqualify you from certain companies. Rob Rennells, from Roehl, told me as long as I don't get any moving violations, they'd hire me. They are picky, because THEY are paying for the insurance, and 80,000 lbs moving at 60 mph is a LOT of liability!
Old 09-29-2006, 04:51 AM
Rookie
Default Re: does life hold you back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl77dar
it is a positive thought process! go 4 it. but check into the best companies don't settle for swift or werner they are sucky companies. try for either schneider, gordon, etc do an application on line here and see what you get offerred for companies, roehl, crst etc these companies will request an one year contract for you to get your training paid for. some of the best drivers on the road are the youngest and women. just always remember though you are not in a race and abide by the laws and safety always comes first. you can lose your license faster due to your age then older people can. do not speed over 5 miles over the speed limit and always think what your dad or your role driving model would do it the driving situation and do it the same way. young people are more flexible and can drive better as long as they SLOW down and don't think a big rig is a race car because it is not a race car. but go 4 what u want and don't let anyone or anything detour you or stand in your way! good luck and if you decide you want 2 team email me and come 2 crst and i will be glad to team with you for a few months until you get used to your job. good luck and god bless.
Great advice, but I want to give a little more on one of those companies. DON'T go to CRST unless you are ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that you are going to stay there. Their contract paperwork won't let you go to work at any major carrier if you quit or are terminated before your contract is over.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:41 AM

There are a lot of companies out there that won't touch you until you are 25. But, there are some that will, including some of the training companies. It would be in your best interest to do a lot of research on the company you want to hire on with. Check out the boards here, and on other web sites, and try to talk to actual employees of the company. Remember, your options will be somewhat limited by your age, so you need to find a company you can stick with for a few years Of course, that is the best policy anyways.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Is my age a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjv189
I have been reading a lot of posts on here in reply to someone that said they are 22 years old, and the posts are saying this person's age might be a problem. Why is that?

Most of the companies I have looked at have 21 as their minimum age requirement. Are you guys saying that they usually don't hire young people though?

I will turn 21 here in a few months and was hoping to get into a driving career. Will my minimum age of 21 hold me back in your opinion? Thanks in advance.
I'm only 19 and I'm to go for mine.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Rookie

The 21 year age limit is in FMCSR (driver qualifications). Companies usually also have a minimum experience level requirement (6 months, 1yr, or more). Add the experience requirement to the minimum age to get the age that they will/won't hire.