View Poll Results: Is it better to get a CDL on your own, or go to an employer sponsored CDL program?
Get CDL on your own. 19 82.61%
Employer sponsored CDL training. 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ABSOLUTE CONFUSION for ENTRY

This entire industry is nutz! I have contacted so many companies and it seems they all have a slightly different twist to the same scam (indentured servant).

Right now I am flipping a coing between paying for CDL training through SAGE (seems they are a highly rated outfit, but in this trucking industry you never know if the ranking is legit, or simply a high rank because they pay for an ad on a website).

The other option I am looking at is DriverSolutions (paying the discounted rate up front to avoid the Indentured Servant status) and going to work for P.A.M.

I don't see much on this board about PAM, but they seem like a reputable outfit.

DriverSolutions from what I can determine is a CDL mill. Therefore, I am a bit reluctant to give them $3k to get run through a program that is designed to ferret out the ones who can't learn how to drive in a week.

Any thoughts or reflections from ones in the know would be appreciated. I got the CDL Permit and HAZMAT on my own throught PA DMV.

Also anyone know the odds of driving for a company and then getting and then moving into an office job. I got an MBA, but have been self employed for 6-years seeking elusive fortunes. The industry I previously worked for is stagnant and something I really don't want to try to get back into.

Sorry for rambling - to summarize: 1.) Is PAM a worthwhile employer for a Newbie; 2.) Is DriverSolutions a CDL Mill designed to weed out the students who can't pick up driving in a week; 3.) Is SAGE as good a school as I have read about; 4.) Would one be better getting the CDL on their own, instead of going through the Indentured Servant process.

Thanks for your ample time in reading my rambling post.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

See my post in the other thread about WIA (Workforce Investment Act) .. with an MBA however I'm going to guess that you probably wont qualify, but its worth looking into in any case.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Default guess i didn't explain myself

Not looking for any financial assistance. Just trying to determine the best way to do this CDL thing.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:37 PM

Then you have already answered your own question. Get the CDL on your own.

IMHO there is little difference between getting financial aid from the government and getting financial aid from a company to go through their training program.

Maybe its a pride thing. However, the difference between the 2 is you wont be comitted to 1 company.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you want to get into the trucking business I suggest you find a community college or state vocational school who has a truck driver training program. You will pay less and get good training. They will also assist you in placement. If you want to find more about PAM, you might do a search on this forum. Depending on where you live, Millis is supposed to have a good training program. CRST has a 6 months program (or did). I think it is always a good idea to pay for your own training if you can afford it. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Board Regular

I think there point to both sides..I didnt go through a CDL school and Ive noticed that alot of companys require you have either 1 yr OVR or a Certified School ....so theres advantages to both sides
Old 05-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

You more or less have the answer to your question already.

Quote:
Would one be better getting the CDL on their own, instead of going through the Indentured Servant process.
WHY WHY WHY would you want to be an indentured servant if you have the means to pay for your own school? I can understand that some people are down on their luck and can't afford $3,000 or more, so their option is to get their CDL through a company.

If you want an office job with a trucking company I don't think that you need to be a driver first, just find a job opening and apply. If you are going to be a dispatcher it would be nice to have some driving experience, so that you understand what the drivers go through, but it isn't necessary.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Senior Board Member

I got my CDL on my own. Fine and Dandy for those who have 2-5K to blow on a class that you can learn from the book. Of course, practicing on a truck and using one for the CDL test can be an additional expense in doing it yourself.

Luckily, it cost me 60 bucks total for a CDL 8) And companies that require experience DON'T. Any company that wants to go to bat for you will put you behind the wheel if you are determined, professional, and safe in driving.

I drove better than a LOT of drivers I saw on the road and at the truckstops my first month that probably had formal instruction and more experience. Driving is a skill, just like video games (poor analogy, but its true). Some people just can't drive, like the covenant transport guy last week who would tap his brakes once every 2 minutes in the rain going through kentucky :roll:
Old 05-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Senior Board Member

I got my CDL on my own. Fine and Dandy for those who have 2-5K to blow on a class that you can learn from the book. Of course, practicing on a truck and using one for the CDL test can be an additional expense in doing it yourself.

Luckily, it cost me 60 bucks total for a CDL 8) And companies that require experience DON'T. Any company that wants to go to bat for you will put you behind the wheel if you are determined, professional, and safe in driving.

I drove better than a LOT of drivers I saw on the road and at the truckstops my first month that probably had formal instruction and more experience. Driving is a skill, just like video games (poor analogy, but its true). Some people just can't drive, like the covenant transport guy last week who would tap his brakes once every 2 minutes in the rain going through kentucky :roll:
Old 05-20-2006, 09:29 PM

I live in MASS. looked into CDL school 7,000, 140 miles roundtrip and 20 weeks long .
no thanks will take my chances eith a company sponsered school . oh and by the they way SNI,MILLIS,and ROEHL, will not accept to me due to the fact they say CDL is not transferable to the state of MASS.