View Poll Results: Would love to drive an/a....
Automatic Trans. 11 40.74%
Manual Trans. 16 59.26%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Automatic Transmission or Manual?

Alrite, Finally got my CDL-A last week with the help of my dad and my uncle(dad's brother). Both(D & A) long OTR drivers with experiances' varrying from 25-30years. Dad likes manual transmission and have driven the same forever just for an occasion drove an Freightliner-Columbia-Autoshift CAT but used it manually.(lol) My uncle on the other hand swichted to Autoshift/Ultrashift past 4years and don't wanna move back to changing gears with the big lever and left leg(clutch).

During my training session I drove with my dad on his Freightliner-Cat-435-8spd in April hauling 30-40klbs on West Coast-I-15 from Seattle to Sacramento. Hate to tell you the truth but changing gears was a nightmare until my uncle took me with him for a trip to Detroit via-I-90 begining of May. He's got Freightliner-Columbia-Mercedes-450-Autoshift and everything felt natural thereafter. I would never want to go back shifting gears with palm instead of index finger.

They both are still company drivers and we are now looking forward to own a truck or two and open up our company. I'm not instresting in investing a dime over $50,000/-(50k) and I'm ready to compromise on miles on the truck. I wanna stick to freightliner with CAT or MERCEDES. My dad every passing second recommends manual and insists on sticking with the big lever. Whereas having experianced the easyness and comfort of driving an Autoshift through bizi Seattle-Minneapolis-Chicago-Detroit downtown buying a manual gear box doesn't make sense to me.(Not to forget this was my first time ever driving anything bigger than my Mustang.)

My confussion is should I buy an auto-transm or manual one keeping the fact handy about re-sale. On the one side I've experiance of my dad's 30years and on the other 25years of my uncle's who preffers automatic all the way. Remembering the fact I'm only 26years old and have to give respect to both of the elders likings. What should I start of with? Auto or Manual?

Any recommendation from fellow drivers would highly appriacted.

God bless ya ALL.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I've had an auto since January 1. They are nice sometimes, but mostly not. Too tired to get into detail, maybe later.
Our company just ordered 30 new trucks....with 18 speed manuals. (thank you)

I also also stress very highly whenever this comes up, no new driver should take on an auto without 3 years on a stick.

As for you starting your trucking company on your one week old class a license, you don't even know the can you just opened up on this forum. lol
Old 05-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Senior Board Member

I would suggest a manual Transmission.

I know the auto shifts are great but it is just one more component to worry about breaking.

After a few weeks in the manual you will not even notice or even think about shifting gears, it just comes natural.

FWIW... MY OPINION, an 8 speed box on the highway...not so great. I am rather addicted to a nice 18 speed myself. And don't let it scare you, it's just another transmission, and with enough time you will not even think about it.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Board Regular

Ive never had the chance to drive an automatic truck..Id like to try it out though
Old 05-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Board Member

my advice to you is to spend alot more time in both and decide for yourself. im sure any sane person with no ego problems who had the choice would pick the automated manual the newer version ultra shift even takes over the clutch work. at least you have a choice most of us r stuck with shifting manuals., then everytime we get stuck in a traffic jam we think to ourselves damm wish i had an autoshift.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_o
my advice to you is to spend alot more time in both and decide for yourself. im sure any sane person with no ego problems who had the choice would pick the automated manual the newer version ultra shift even takes over the clutch work. at least you have a choice most of us r stuck with shifting manuals., then everytime we get stuck in a traffic jam we think to ourselves damm wish i had an autoshift.
Have you driven one? Mine has no clutch.

The problem is, they have GO and STOP. There is no letting the clutch out slowly and idling in somewhere when backing. In traffic, if you just want to slowly creep ahead, no no..... giver a little throttle and nothing happens until bam! you are going right now then have to hit the brakes. Its very frustrating.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:55 PM

I have no desire to ever drive an automatic in a truck. Been clutching for 24 years what's another 15 to 20. :wink:
Old 05-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Board Regular

aren't automatics also more expensive?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
aren't automatics also more expensive?
Probably so new as always but my mind was working on kickin tires and trying to get a deduct on a used one . I dunno though. Id sure try though.

Tim
Old 05-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Board Regular

my company has manual and automatic trucks. I have driven both. Our automatic trucks still use a clutch. Our trucks with auto's can creep along just like the manual trucks. Maybe it's the clutchless auto's that are a pain?

My vote is for the automatic but yes get some time in the manual trans first.